Spyder Classics: The C-30 Remote Release

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-30 Remote Release

Post by JD Spydo »

When I first became a fan of Spyderco back in the mid 90s there were a couple of aspects of their business that caught my eye. First off they took serrations to a much higher level than I had ever seen>> and they took on models that most other knife companies wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole.

Not to mention their great quality control and overall quality of their finished products. Well one of their "Specialty Type Blades" that very few companies would dare to make was their model C-30 Remote Release. It is obviously a specialty item for people who are into rock climbing, fishing, hunting and other specialized needs. They had two of these types of knives in the early going and the C-30 Remote Release was always my favorite of the two models.

This is another one of their classic models that I would love to see return at some point. I know I'm not the only one who liked the C-30 Remote Release model. Also I would like to know what you all used that model for that owned one of them.
yablanowitz

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-30 Remote Release

Post by yablanowitz »

Owned? I still have a couple of the VG-10 pieces. One lives in my car for emergencies, the other stays in my insulated overalls for clearing crap out of the snowblower.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 pm
Owned? I still have a couple of the VG-10 pieces. One lives in my car for emergencies, the other stays in my insulated overalls for clearing crap out of the snowblower.
Thank you for pointing out the possible "emergency" uses that the C-30 Remote Release would be great for.

I keep an ASSIST 1 handy for most potential "emergency" uses and the C-30 could go into a kit if a guy were to ever make up one.

Also I always liked the spring-loaded keeper on the C-30 much better than I did with the one they had on the Snap-It model. Just my preference.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

It seems very similar to the Snap-it Salt, but I like the idea for this one as well!
Snap-it and Remote release first and second respectively: (not my pictures of course)
Last edited by Cl1ff on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:29 pm
It seems very similar to the Snap-it Salt, but I like the idea for this one as well!
Snap-it and Remote release first and second respectively: (not my pictures of course)
Again I just always could utilize and implement the use of the Remote Release a lot easier and more efficiently than I ever could with the Snap-It model. The "keeper" device on the Remote Release just gave me a lot more confidence than the one on on the SNAP-IT model ever did.

If I were going to have to trust either model literally with my life I would always go with the C-30 Remote. Oh I'm sure the Snap-it has it's place in the scheme of things. Also the REMOTE RELEASE is another model I would love to see a much bigger scale version of too.
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Still have an original one. Carried it on the right front strap of my LBV while in the Army.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:45 pm
When I first became a fan of Spyderco back in the mid 90s there were a couple of aspects of their business that caught my eye. First off they took serrations to a much higher level than I had ever seen>> and they took on models that most other knife companies wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole.

Not to mention their great quality control and overall quality of their finished products. Well one of their "Specialty Type Blades" that very few companies would dare to make was their model C-30 Remote Release. It is obviously a specialty item for people who are into rock climbing, fishing, hunting and other specialized needs. They had two of these types of knives in the early going and the C-30 Remote Release was always my favorite of the two models.

This is another one of their classic models that I would love to see return at some point. I know I'm not the only one who liked the C-30 Remote Release model. Also I would like to know what you all used that model for that owned one of them.

I've never used or held one, I like the blade style, the v2 blade immediately makes me think of the Jester or ATR... What steel(s) do you think would be a good fit if it were to get a sprint run?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:02 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:45 pm

I've never used or held one, I like the blade style, the v2 blade immediately makes me think of the Jester or ATR... What steel(s) do you think would be a good fit if it were to get a sprint run?
Well this is another Spyderco model that is "SE ONLY" for me. It falls into the same slot as the Hawkbills, and Reverse S blades.
And just like the fact that most of Spyderco's more popular RESCUE type models enjoy more success in SE as well.