Techno 2 XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Techno 2 XL?

Post by VooDooChild »

Hello spyderco fans.

I have been here for some time now, and while I dont often make post like this, I decided to ask this question, and see what the rest of you think.

The question is this. Who would like to see a full size Techno 2 offered by Spyderco?

Im a big fan of the Slysz collaborations. I have a spydiechef, a techno2, and a swayback. I, like many others, missed out on the bowie.

I love the chef but a lot of that comes from the fact that its a salt series. The swayback is... lets just say a bit specialized for edc due to its wharncliffe blade. I know people have been crying out for a return of the bowie, but that is certainly its own knife.

It suprises me how much I like the design of the techno 2. I love its modified sheepsfoot blade. I love its chunky handle and blade. The stonewash finish on the handle and blade are amazing. I also love that modified sheepsfoot, it is a really perfect blend of usable point, edge, and belly. The only thing I want is a bigger version.

Anyways... I feel like a scaled up techno 2 would be pretty amazing. Almost like a spyderco version of a crk inkosi insingo. There might be small tweeks that would need to be made, like a more pronounced forward finger gaurd for instance. But it seems like it would satisfy the want for a full size Slysz collab that is not the chef and not the swayback, but something a little more edc friendly in terms of its blade profile.

A full size techno 2 would be an amazing edc with an almost opposite philosophy to the spydiechef.

Is anyone else interested???

(Im also fine with the slab sided titanium handles, I dont think it would need contouring or "3d" scales in any way. Keep it a beefy, thick work knife.)

Edit: If this did happen I would like to see the "regular" jimping being used as opposed to the jimping on the techno 2.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Re: Techno 2 XL?

Post by JRinFL »

Scaled up to a full sized knife keeping the same proportions? That would be no from me. It would have a 1/2" think blade and be too heavy. Now, a larger knife in the same family as the Techno, sharing the same design language could be interesting. Doesn't the designer already have a design?
Last edited by JRinFL on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JRinFL wrote: Scaled up to a full sized knife keeping the same proportions? That would be no from me. It would have a 1/2" think blade and be too heavy. Now, a larger knife in the same family as the Techno, sharing the same design language could be interesting. Doesn't the designer already have design?
No.
Same blade and handle, and scale thickness.
Just stretched to a "full" size. Where you can get a 4 finger grip. Like almost endura size.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pm
I, like many others, missed out on the bowie.
One of us :D

For your actual question. I can see your point. Like you, the Techno 2 is a tad too small for my taste. I just bought it to get closer to the Bowie overall feeling.

Now would I like an XL version ? Not really, because I'm not a fan of just scaling design up or down, like so manufacturers do (Ontario rat 1 and rat 2, the 2 being). I hold the same opinion over a Dragonfly XL, I think it wouldn't work and would tarnish the initial intent behind the standard Dragonfly.

Part of the appeal (to me) of the Techno 2 is its small size. If you just make it bigger, it would be one **** of a pry-bar, probably too thick and too heavy to make sens. The actual pry-barish design work for it because it's so small, it's a part of its charm. It doesn't work for me, but I can understand the intent behind it.

Now, would I like something between a Bowie and a Techno 2 ? Yes, 100%. A Slysz collaboration ala Native 5 length would be amazing. I just wish it would be a proper design and not just a scaled up Techno 2.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi VooDoo!

A XL - Full Size Techno 2 is a contradiction in itself. Ain’t a Techno anymore, plain and simple :rolleyes:

Personally I’d rather see a new Slysz/Spyderco collaboration before any bigger Techno attempt :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I looked at the Techno and decided against it (both of them). I bought a Li'l Native instead. I do not think I'd be interested.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I would prefer a stretched Techno with a longer handle and the same handle height to a scaled-up Techno XL. I have refrained from getting a Techno 2, Dragonfly or Li'l Native mainly because I cannot get a full grip on them.