Which should be the next model in Cru-carta?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which should be the next Cru-carta model?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 pm

Military
35%
Native Chief
18%
Manix XL
8%
Manix 2
7%
Native 5
19%
Para 3
12%

Total votes: 99

bearfacedkiller

Re: Which should be the next model in Cru-carta?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

bigboned wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 pm
What about the bushcraft- that would be awesome in cru carta- it’s not all about folders!!!!!
I tried to get a Crucarta Proficient. A number of people squashed the idea due to price concerns. :(
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Henry_P wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:48 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:32 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:24 pm
Military - 9 votes vs. Para 3 - 0 votes. THIS is a GREAT forum! :)
I won't argue with that! :D
Maybe it’s because I’m new here but I don’t understand why the para 3 gets so much hate. Can someone explain? Is it because it’s had a lot of sprints in the past?
Hate? Hardly. That word is greatly overused. I think a lot of the enthusiasm, here, for the Military is that it is very under-represented among Sprints and Exclusives compared to the Para 3. And personally, I think that earth-tone Micarta and a tough steel like CPM Cru-Wear calls for a larger, more "hard use" type of knife. It has a kind of fixed blade vibe.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

LC Kid wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:43 pm
Hi Folks!

And how about a new Cru-Carta D’Fly? :spyder:
The DF2 loses its appeal if its heavy and thick in the 5th pocket.

A Cruwear or other tough steel offering would be pretty cool though. Really add some beef to the DF2 blade. Or a Maxamet DF2. Yeah, that. :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

🤣

i guess i'm alone in thinking the manix 2 is the ultimate workhorse spyderco model and would benefit from such a configuration?

i vote for dlc and black linen micarta though instead of the satin and brown micarta of the new pm2.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

I voted military, but I'd prefer the military in k390 over cruwear.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:22 pm
bigboned wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:56 pm
What about the bushcraft- that would be awesome in cru carta- it’s not all about folders!!!!!
I tried to get a Crucarta Proficient. A number of people squashed the idea due to price concerns. :(
I think it was ultimately Sal who said it wouldn’t work out as it would be a similar price to the “NASA” Proficient. Anyway, I still like the idea.

There are many knives that would do well in this combo, but if I had to pick for something like this poll, my priority lies in designs which are most compatible by default and with the least existing variations. Hence, my aforementioned choices of the Manix XL or the upcoming Large SS Stretch.

——

In my opinion, it seems the Military is the knife which would need the most changes, no matter how much I’d like it (I’m also more interested in the already existing Rex45 sprint). However, a Military 2 may be more appealing to me and easier for Spyderco to make in this configuration.

I do wonder about other fixed blade options though. It’s a great combination of materials for knives meant to be used regularly.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Henry_P wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
Maybe it’s because I’m new here but I don’t understand why the para 3 gets so much hate. Can someone explain? Is it because it’s had a lot of sprints in the past?

The Para 3 is not my most favorite Spyderco, but I´d still take it over almost any folder from another brands in that size range.

Like others have said, for me it was just a bit surprising (and yes, perhaps a bit much) how unbelievably many variants specifically this model got, while others missed out.
For me, purely personally speaking, the Para 3 would be more of a nice niche knife, in that it is a cool "baby-version" of the PM2, but not the most perfectly designed knife for that size - mainly because it takes over some design features of the PM2, that are better suited for that one, but not the Para 3: .

- Thick bladestock, rather fine tip: For me the Para 3 blade stock is too thick, which decreases slicing capabilites and is really not necessary. The 2.5 mm of the Delica or 3.0 mm of the Sage are way strong enough, and better performers. Additionally, the Para 3 tip is pretty fine, so IF one would test the blade to the limit, the tip would probably snap long before the whole blade had a problem (Edit:What I mean by that: Imho IF a small knife has such a thick, overbuilt bladestock, then go all the way and give it a really robust tip too so one can carelessley trash on the thing (nothing I´d need though), but IF a folder has such a nice, functional, a bit finer working tip as the Para 3, give it a nice, thinner and slicey bladestock too.Would make more sense to me)
- PM2-ish handle design not perfect for a small knife: The "hook" at the end of the handle limits the available space behind the choil on the Para 3 too much, so a bit larger hands can´t get a four finger grip there but have to use the choil for that.
Knives like the Sage 5 are imho better designed here for a small knife, cause they maximize the available space behind the choil (see comparison pic at the end of my post, screenshot taken from a Nick Shabbaz vid) Also if one has to choke up anyway, the "hook" does not serve as a device that prevents slipping off the handle in the rear, cause the finger in the choil prevents that anyway
- Heavy, bulky: The Para 3 for me is pretty heavy and bulky, if compared to the Delica for example. Even the linerless lightweight Para 3 is not lighter than a Delica, despite the latter has liners, is a better slicer and has a more generous grip.

- So, conclusion: I DO like the Para 3, but I still would have figured that models like the Sage 5 would get the huge attention, and not the Para 3. Just cause performancewise I think folders like the Sage 5 are better designed for a small knife, like if thought through from scratch as a small knife, while the Para 3 is more a "scaled down" PM2.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

I own a Para 3 Maxamet because I like Maxamet, not because I like the Para 3..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's cruwear - why bother with it on smaller knives? Manix xl and military for sure
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:19 am
It's cruwear - why bother with it on smaller knives? Manix xl and military for sure
You know this place, people would go bonkers over a Ladybug with Cruwear.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Of course I voted Manix, but a Military would be pretty awesome, too. And in general I'm with Steelcity on this one: Cru-carta them all!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 am
Of course I voted Manix, but a Military would be pretty awesome, too. And in general I'm with Steelcity on this one: Cru-carta them all!
As long as it's the same micarta that came with the Shaman, that texture feels amazing in hand! Mine is now smooth, but soft too. I don't have anything else like it. I'd be in for a Millie and POSSIBLY a Manix as well (though I sold my other KC Cruwear exclusive last month)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Am I crazy for wanting a CruCarta Yojimbo 2?
attila

Post by attila »

wirelessjunkie wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:29 am
Am I crazy for wanting a CruCarta Yojimbo 2?
Nope! Not crazy; genius.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There were exclusives in Cruwear for the Para 2, Para3, Manix 2, and Native 5. Any of these are the most likely "nexts" in the line, if Spyderco decides to expand it. That said, even though I have little interest in one and still vote for the Native, maybe the Military would make the most impact?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:36 am
Henry_P wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

The Para 3 is not my most favorite Spyderco, but I´d still take it over almost any folder from another brands in that size range.

Like others have said, for me it was just a bit surprising (and yes, perhaps a bit much) how unbelievably many variants specifically this model got, while others missed out.
For me, purely personally speaking, the Para 3 would be more of a nice niche knife, in that it is a cool "baby-version" of the PM2, but not the most perfectly designed knife for that size - mainly because it takes over some design features of the PM2, that are better suited for that one, but not the Para 3: .

- Thick bladestock, rather fine tip: For me the Para 3 blade stock is too thick, which decreases slicing capabilites and is really not necessary. The 2.5 mm of the Delica or 3.0 mm of the Sage are way strong enough, and better performers. Additionally, the Para 3 tip is pretty fine, so IF one would test the blade to the limit, the tip would probably snap long before the whole blade had a problem (Edit:What I mean by that: Imho IF a small knife has such a thick, overbuilt bladestock, then go all the way and give it a really robust tip too so one can carelessley trash on the thing (nothing I´d need though), but IF a folder has such a nice, functional, a bit finer working tip as the Para 3, give it a nice, thinner and slicey bladestock too.Would make more sense to me)
- PM2-ish handle design not perfect for a small knife: The "hook" at the end of the handle limits the available space behind the choil on the Para 3 too much, so a bit larger hands can´t get a four finger grip there but have to use the choil for that.
Knives like the Sage 5 are imho better designed here for a small knife, cause they maximize the available space behind the choil (see comparison pic at the end of my post, screenshot taken from a Nick Shabbaz vid) Also if one has to choke up anyway, the "hook" does not serve as a device that prevents slipping off the handle in the rear, cause the finger in the choil prevents that anyway
- Heavy, bulky: The Para 3 for me is pretty heavy and bulky, if compared to the Delica for example. Even the linerless lightweight Para 3 is not lighter than a Delica, despite the latter has liners, is a better slicer and has a more generous grip.

- So, conclusion: I DO like the Para 3, but I still would have figured that models like the Sage 5 would get the huge attention, and not the Para 3. Just cause performancewise I think folders like the Sage 5 are better designed for a small knife, like if thought through from scratch as a small knife, while the Para 3 is more a "scaled down" PM2.

Absolutely agree.
I'm not much into big knives, so when I got my first PM2 I immediately wanted to see it done in a smaller version.
Rumors were flying around for along time, but at a certain point it seemed so certain to happen, I just sold my PM2 in anticipation of the perfect compact comp lock EDC folder.
What we got wasn't exactly what I had anticipated, for much of the reasons you describe. Still I've ended up with two of them, mostly because of all the variations and wanting to try different steels, but I've also learned to like it a bit more over time.
For all that is wrong about the P3 (IMO), I still believe the PM2 is too big for me, so I voted P3.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

PM 2 Tanto :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 pm
🤣

i guess i'm alone in thinking the manix 2 is the ultimate workhorse spyderco model and would benefit from such a configuration?

i vote for dlc and black linen micarta though instead of the satin and brown micarta of the new pm2.
You are not alone!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:18 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:30 pm
🤣

You are not alone!
thanks. when i voted for the manix 2, there was only one vote. i was pretty shocked that i was the only one that had voted for it out of all the votes that had been placed. the manix 2 is such an underrated model.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
brancron

Post by brancron »

The Endura!