We finally got the UKPK Salt. Thank you Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Farmer

Re: We finally got the UKPK Salt. Thank you Sal

Post by Farmer »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:43 am
Farmer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:50 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:16 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:01 pm
I love this but please green handles
For actual UK use, green handles could be problematic. They have a law against "zombie knives". I wish I was joking. It's nebulous enough that a toxic green handle might be enough to get you in trouble.
Happily this is just an urban myth. The law I believe you're thinking of bans knives with "images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence". https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... cle/2/made So toxic green remains absolutely fine for the UK market :cool:
Didn't mean to be spreading misinformation. Thanks for posting the actual law. If that's the only thing on the books, then the article I read was not very accurate (or outdated, it was a couple of years ago). Maybe they cleared up the vague language? The law is still ridiculous of course. I'm not a lawyer, but that reads as if the knife must have a serrated edge and words or graphics indicating it's used for violence? So one could circumvent the law by grinding off the name. That makes it safer...

Found the article I read when the ban went into effect. The BBC usually does better on accuracy than this.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37080682
No worries :) There have been a lot of silly laws introduced just to make it look like politicians are doing something. But I suspect that’s the same story everywhere!

That aside, I’m looking forward to giving this knife a whirl. My hope is the UK price isn’t too awful and that the spring of this iteration of the FRN is stiff enough. Fingers crossed...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A lot of places where locking knives are technically "legal" in this particular political climate still look askance at them. A slip joint gets hardly a glance. Still, be that as it may, I find that for general chores, a Spyderco slipit does a simple job of doing what I need it to do. The LC200N is going to make this even better with its corrosion resistance.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The Force is strong with this one!

It doesn't have to go up to Japan for a 25% price increase and then come back from there with CQ issues.
Golden quality is spot on.

This is a great choice for traveling within EU, now in a Salt version.

Who says there's no travel now...
I'm still traveling from upstairs to downstairs fridge and back up, it's true there are no legal restrictions on what am I able to carry on this route but it's better to be prepared for any circumstances.

Regarding the price I have a hunch that as a European I will be paying tariffs in US on European steel and then back in EU I will be paying taxes on American product, if this is not funny then I don't know what is :D
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am looking forward to this one as well. I bought the HH version as a novelty and really ended up enjoying carrying it. The quality is outstanding and the SE version will make a nice compliment to the PE.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JMM

Post by JMM »

koenigsegg wrote:
I love this but please green handles
FWIW, starting with this shade of yellow, and using "Sapphire Blue" Rit Synthetic DyeMore can get you the desired color, just watch it like a hawk (check every 30~60 seconds) whilst doing it... I helped a friend do a Native5 LW Salt that turned out great, I don't have a pic of it but I just emailed him and asked him to send me a pic of it which I can post.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

jdw wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:05 am
I am looking forward to this one as well. I bought the HH version as a novelty and really ended up enjoying carrying it. The quality is outstanding and the SE version will make a nice compliment to the PE.
It is funny how that happens. I dearly love my Delica's and I bought the UKPK in BD1N for the steel. I did not like the older UKPK's, but the newer ones are so much better and have a better action. I fell in love with it and one stays in my pocket. I now have an S110V version, as well. I will get the HH when it becomes available, again, and the new Salt, too. I may have an addiction problem.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thank you Sal and thank you Liquid Cobra!

viewtopic.php?t=75065

I think we’ve all agreed a green drop point version should also be in order. Be careful w RIT dyeing FRN too folks, that material absorbs it within seconds unlike the G10 instructions that recommend half-hour baths in the stuff. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't wait to buy the UKPK salt PE... I've slowed way down on my spydie buying but I'm definitely getting this one
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mitchwalcott

Post by mitchwalcott »

Does anyone have a guess as to when these will be released? I am wondering if it might be sooner than this summer.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Yeah! I'm getting pretty antsy about this one, too. :) Really looking forward to 2.5mm serrated LC200N.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I hope it will be by the end of April.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:16 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
For actual UK use, green handles could be problematic. They have a law against "zombie knives". I wish I was joking. It's nebulous enough that a toxic green handle might be enough to get you in trouble.

If I was Bloke I´d find some pic of a lost-and-buried-for-years-in-some-backyard, and then resurrected, rotten, rusty "zombie" knife ;)
But no one can be like Bloke! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:26 pm
I do wish it was available in Drop Point, but it's not a big deal.

I slightly prefer the drop point version too.

- For one, though I normally love leaf shaped blades (over the straight spine, millie-like ones), this particular stretch-like drop point is perhaps the most useful folder blade shape for me
- And then, it looks a bit like (but I am not sure) that the drop point UKPK (again, just like the Stretch) seems to have a longer straight section in the edge before the belly starts than the leaf version . Something I like more and more and over a continous curve in the edge.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bruce91748 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:22 pm
On the UKPK, can you close the blade by just pressing on the spine and snap it closed? Is there any detent along the closing arc to stop the blade from closing with just one press of the index finger?
I can snap my HH UKPK from open to shut in one move by putting pressure on the spine of the blade until it pops closed. Almost like a reverse flipper.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'm a little sad that the UK Salt doesn't have the drop point like the regular UK FRN but I'm still thrilled to be getting a salty Slip-It. This is huge!
JMM

Post by JMM »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 pm
I don't know why Spyderco just doesn't make LC200N the base steel for this knife anyway. We can have colors and still have low maintenance. Of course, I'm thinking like a guy who lives near the equator/jungle/ocean.
I'm just super excited to have a FFG SE option in the UK family. How about a K390 PE & SE version, that would be incredible.
Perhaps one day a CF/s90v.... ahhh, dare to dream... :) ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JMM wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:40 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I don't know why Spyderco just doesn't make LC200N the base steel for this knife anyway. We can have colors and still have low maintenance. Of course, I'm thinking like a guy who lives near the equator/jungle/ocean.
I'm just super excited to have a FFG SE option in the UK family. How about a K390 PE & SE version, that would be incredible.
A peel-ply CF with s90v to match the other golden cf/s90v sprints would be a dream come true
Spydergirl88
JMM

Post by JMM »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 pm
JMM wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
A peel-ply CF with s90v to match the other golden cf/s90v sprints would be a dream come true
Right?!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I bought a titanium ukpk 6 years ago and foolishly returned it to the dealer for a refund because it arrived with a broken backspring. I should have kept it and sent it to spyderco for warranty work but I was very new to spyderco at the time.
Spydergirl88
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 pm
JMM wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I’ve been asking for this for quite some time, and I’d also be fine with 52100. I’m just glad we are getting the Salt to hold me over!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”