We finally got the UKPK Salt. Thank you Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: We finally got the UKPK Salt. Thank you Sal

Post by Notsurewhy »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:01 pm
I love this but please green handles
For actual UK use, green handles could be problematic. They have a law against "zombie knives". I wish I was joking. It's nebulous enough that a toxic green handle might be enough to get you in trouble.
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

On the UKPK, can you close the blade by just pressing on the spine and snap it closed? Is there any detent along the closing arc to stop the blade from closing with just one press of the index finger?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I wonder if the Backspacer is black on this model like all the other new Salts?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:16 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
For actual UK use, green handles could be problematic. They have a law against "zombie knives". I wish I was joking. It's nebulous enough that a toxic green handle might be enough to get you in trouble.
It's a shame because I love this model and steel but hate yellow. Maybe usn will make an exclusive
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bruce91748 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:22 pm
On the UKPK, can you close the blade by just pressing on the spine and snap it closed? Is there any detent along the closing arc to stop the blade from closing with just one press of the index finger?

Yes, there is a half stop.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Rab

Post by Rab »

I was planning on rit dyeing the scales on this one anyway.

I love the yellow on my Salt 2 as its s work knife but for daily carry I might try something a bit more subdued
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Notsurewhy wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:
Happily this is just an urban myth. The law I believe you're thinking of bans knives with "images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence". https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... cle/2/made So toxic green remains absolutely fine for the UK market :cool:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 am
I'm with you 100%, Doc. The UKPK is such a great little design and having a Salt version in LC200N is fabulous! It'll be the ultimate go-to, go-anywhere, do anything knife.

I agree. It’s going to be a great travel folder.I only wish the Urban gets the green salt treatement. That one would be the ultimate go-anywhere spydie for me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I do wish it was available in Drop Point, but it's not a big deal.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:26 pm
I think the drop point makes more sense for the SE version, but I guess that the drop point variants don't sell well.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:16 pm
The Meat man wrote:
I think the drop point makes more sense for the SE version, but I guess that the drop point variants don't sell well.
Why is that?
- Connor

D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Thank you Sal, Eric, and Kelly for the UKPK Salt. I just pre-ordered one in PE (I'm eager to experience LC200N's performance compared to BD1N) and will likely pick up a second in SE later. I hope sales are strong enough to justify additional steel options for the UKPK.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:19 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Why is that?
Easier to round the tip off, and the lower blade height would slip between a person and a seat belt, etc, if someone wanted to mod it themselves for a rescue variant. In thinking about it, the drop point also makes sense in PE as a slip joint small game knife with the corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening of LC200N.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ugaarguy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:03 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:19 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Why is that?
Easier to round the tip off, and the lower blade height would slip between a person and a seat belt, etc, if someone wanted to mod it themselves for a rescue variant. In thinking about it, the drop point also makes sense in PE as a slip joint small game knife with the corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening of LC200N.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of those possibilities. I just like it for the looks.
- Connor

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was surprised that the knife didn't come in that cool looking green color that the Seki made Salts have. Then, I remembered it is a Golden made knife. I am okay with the yellow. The green would have been spectacular, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The Meat man wrote:
I do wish it was available in Drop Point, ...
This and green handles ... :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sure would be nice if they followed up with a drop point version. I will be getting the leafs, but would certainly buy additional in drop point. US "Golden" made LC200N is getting to be a thing with me.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Farmer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:50 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:
Happily this is just an urban myth. The law I believe you're thinking of bans knives with "images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence". https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... cle/2/made So toxic green remains absolutely fine for the UK market :cool:
He is referring to bullet point 6 of the banned paragraph on gov.uk.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

It used to be more vague than this, and I think a green handle alone would be hard to justify as reason to send you to court. We all know the 'mall-ninja' zombie knife stuff to which the bullet point refers. I feel it is covered with all the rest of the rules, but the wrong police officer could well be willing to piss your time and money away on a solicitor, to have to straighten it out in a court room.

The UK is just a funny place with regard to knives.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Farmer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:50 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:
Didn't mean to be spreading misinformation. Thanks for posting the actual law. If that's the only thing on the books, then the article I read was not very accurate (or outdated, it was a couple of years ago). Maybe they cleared up the vague language? The law is still ridiculous of course. I'm not a lawyer, but that reads as if the knife must have a serrated edge and words or graphics indicating it's used for violence? So one could circumvent the law by grinding off the name. That makes it safer...

Found the article I read when the ban went into effect. The BBC usually does better on accuracy than this.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37080682
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:43 am

Didn't mean to be spreading misinformation. Thanks for posting the actual law. If that's the only thing on the books, then the article I read was not very accurate (or outdated, it was a couple of years ago). Maybe they cleared up the vague language? The law is still ridiculous of course. I'm not a lawyer, but that reads as if the knife must have a serrated edge and words or graphics indicating it's used for violence? So one could circumvent the law by grinding off the name. That makes it safer...

Found the article I read when the ban went into effect. The BBC usually does better on accuracy than this.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37080682
No worries. It has changed a few times in recent years. It got some wooly nonsense about 5 years ago, and appears to have been clarified in the last couple.

I think the idea is to (appear to) put pressure on glamorising violence. The examples they use in the BBC article clearly have no real purpose except violence, and appear like hacking and maiming weapons rather than a useful tool. I can see why people would not want this stuff out in the public.

As always, most of this is just about public perception. The cause of knife crime is not having knives, especially in the areas such as where Godwin Lawson ( https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37080682) came from. Many decades of under-funding of London's poor areas has led to what goes on today. I can't imagine the struggle the perpetrators and victims of gang violence have endured, and the odds of making it out to a 'normal life' are fractional compared to average.

I worked as a Paramedic in London for 5 years, and of all the stabbings I went to and knives I saw, most of them were small standard penknives. The last fatal stabbing I went to was with a sharpened piece of a CD; apparently they can get through metal detectors, and are very cheap and discardable. He still had an ankle tag on. He had only been out of prison 4 days.

But who wants to sort out the real problem in British society, when you can just keep the public happy with some PR nonsense?
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020