Cruwear Micarta PM2 Full liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Cruwear Micarta PM2 Full liners

Post by Wartstein »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 pm
I don't think there's any way it can be lighter or as light as the linerless G10 version. I'm thinking the spec is wrong, unless there's something I'm not realizing.

Is there a linerless G10 version of the PM2?! I don´t think so - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:41 am
TenGrainBread wrote:
I don't think there's any way it can be lighter or as light as the linerless G10 version. I'm thinking the spec is wrong, unless there's something I'm not realizing.

That would be kind of hard to do since one of the liners is the lock.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

0.1 ounces is insignificant. I wouldn’t be able to tell much difference.

I think nested liners is a nice feature and I hope this change is only on this knife. The Crucarta Shaman has nested liners and I have an aftermarket set of PM2 scales in micarta that is nested that has held up fine.

I am sure they have done their testing and that they have their reasons. I am curious to see it in person.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

PStone wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:36 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:10 pm
posted about it on the other reveal thread. Personally this is a new direction for PM2s, but some may not like it due to the added heft. I personally would like some heft to the PM2 especially for a beater/daily use knife.

EDIT: did not see the .1 oz less weight, which is surprising for full liners. very nice.

Nice! Thanks for the pic. I didn’t see it in the other thread. And I’m with you in the added heft. Will be nice in a user. I bet it’s gonna feel like a cross between a PM2 and a GB2 :spyder:
Half way between a PM2 and a GB1 (or2) is the sweet spot.

I pre-ordered on your comment above..... :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 pm
PStone wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:52 pm
Is everyone as excited as I am to see the new full skeletonized liner construction for this model? Eric shows it off a little and talks about it in the knifecenter video. Specs list it at 0.1oz lighter too. I can’t wait to get one in hand. :spyder:

I'm not sure about the weight. Spyderco's listing for the knife does list it as 0.1 oz lighter than the standard PM2 (3.8 vs 3.9 oz), but the Reveal listed it at 4.0 oz. Wonder which is correct.
Eric said in the video that it had a bit more heft. So I’m guessing 4.0+ seems more possible.
PStone

Post by PStone »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:56 am
PStone wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:36 pm
nerdlock wrote:
posted about it on the other reveal thread. Personally this is a new direction for PM2s, but some may not like it due to the added heft. I personally would like some heft to the PM2 especially for a beater/daily use knife.

EDIT: did not see the .1 oz less weight, which is surprising for full liners. very nice.

Nice! Thanks for the pic. I didn’t see it in the other thread. And I’m with you in the added heft. Will be nice in a user. I bet it’s gonna feel like a cross between a PM2 and a GB2 :spyder:
Half way between a PM2 and a GB1 (or2) is the sweet spot.

I pre-ordered on your comment above..... :D
Thats awesome! :spyder: Can’t wait to hear your thoughts when you get it.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Does anyone else think that this new construction opens so many doors for the pm2 model? This could be the start of how the BACKLOCK version is done. Or a CBBL. And it is also the same style build as the Tenacious LW. And yes Pakkawood and Terotuff, but think about a Raffir Noble or Kirinite or CTek too.all the different stabilized woods. Going to be a lot easier to DIY scales at home too. The future of this is promising :D :spyder:
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The weight for the Para Military 2 Canvas Micarta is correctly listed in the Reveal as 4.0 ounces/113 grams. Those specs were based on the most recent prototype we currently have available. That makes it slightly heavier than the standard nested-liner versions, which are typically 3.9 ounces. When all the details are dialed in for production, I will revise the specs, if necessary. Right now, that's the most accurate information we have.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:41 am
TenGrainBread wrote:

That would be kind of hard to do since one of the liners is the lock.
Well, that´s obvious... ;)
I figured TenGrainBread was thinking about a "linerless-as-possible" G10 PM2 version like the (FRN) Para 3 LW or somewhat the (linerlock) Millie..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

So, is this going to be the hardest to obtain initially and most popular "regular production" model PM2 or any Spyderco model for that matter?
archangel

Post by archangel »

nerdlock wrote:

Man I love visible steel liners. This looks sooooo good. Problem is: I already have a PM2 (20CV, not a bad steel!), and I already have a Cru-Wear spydie (Manix 2 with CF scales, not a shabby knife at all!)... I love them both! Plus the few spydies that are on my 2021 purchase list are all higher price models - I have to make sure not to overstress the budget. I need to pass. But I envy those of you that snag one.

Moreover I need to learn how to cope with the fact that there will always be new tempting spydies that don't fit into my collecting algorithm. :o
Last edited by archangel on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Cscottsss wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:24 am
So, is this going to be the hardest to obtain initially and most popular "regular production" model PM2 or any Spyderco model for that matter?

I think it's hard to beat the Maxamet PM2 in this aspect, at least during the first many months.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
bts327

Post by bts327 »

I really like the traditional nested liners on the PM2, but I'm open to change and this looks like a model I could see myself holding onto (as a user, of course) for a while. The recent REC and DLT variants just didn't do it for me so I've been holding out for a model to alternate with my beloved K390. This looks like it could be the one; preordered but do we have a release date yet? Sorry if that's a stupid question but this is my first time to preorder a reveal knife model.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:23 pm
This opens the PM2 to a Pakkawood/other wood scale variants/Terotuf where the rigidity is not as strong as G-10, so it's not a big loss and probably won't eat up the standard G-10 PM2 market.
Oooh...pakkawood pm2! I like that idea.

But I'll admit, I don't understand why my aftermarket micarta pm2 scales are plenty strong with the regular nested liners. Maybe it's an issue with mass-production?

Edit to add: I have no problem with the liner change since I won't be tempted to replace these scales. I'm sure I'll buy one of these. But like the liner delete on the Native, the change will limit aftermarket scale options, at least until makers figure it out.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

archangel wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:29 am
Cscottsss wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:24 am

I think it's hard to beat the Maxamet PM2 in this aspect, at least during the first many months.
I think I'll have to disagree, but we'll find out hopefully sooner rather than later. :D
rivy

Post by rivy »

This is all very interesting considering how many aftermarket scale makers have no problem milling micarta...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I wonder how many of the aftermarket scales would survive the same testing that Spyderco does to their own scales.
-Nick :bug-red
Username827

Post by Username827 »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:17 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:36 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:23 pm
This opens the PM2 to a Pakkawood/other wood scale variants/Terotuf where the rigidity is not as strong as G-10, so it's not a big loss and probably won't eat up the standard G-10 PM2 market.

Terotuf would be great on some of these knives with liners as you said. This PM2, Shaman, Native (older S110V linered base). The Endura, Delica, Endela, Stretch bases from the Pakkawood and G10 models, etc. I really like Terotuf on my CPK fixed blades. Seems like a good opportunity for a dealer to do a "family" of Terotuf exclusives paired with something like K390, Z-Wear, or even dare I say CPM-3V (without getting chastised). ;)

Ooooff, good call there. Yeah, as much as I dislike the hype and extreme secondary market inflation prices of some dealer exclusives (REC cough cough), you're right, someday some dealer is going out with their version of a linered PM2 in scale materials other than G10 and FRN. In fact, I'm secretly betting that Knifecenter has plans of making a HAP40 PM2 Pakkawood dealer exclusive.
If memory serves me correct, Hap40 is for the Japanese line. Knifecenter did have a Shaman in Rex45 with some kind of wooden handles. Believe it was supposed to be Rosewood, but ended up being something else, forget the name, but there was a wierd epoxy smell on the handles. It was a mess, what really stinks is it that no one knows how awesome it is, atleast for me. Honestly probably the best knife I ever got fit and finish wish period.
Sorry for the off topic.
Anyway, anything Golden made, and in that Knifecenter pattern would be awesome!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yes, those Shaman scales, imo...were terrible. Got the knife and sold it that same week. Had they been Pakkawood, I'd still have it. Not sure why they ventured off with those on the Shaman, though good for KC because they sold out quickly.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 pm
I wonder how many of the aftermarket scales would survive the same testing that Spyderco does to their own scales.
Right on! Not only that, but how many scale makers warranty their scales for life AND the rest of the knife along with them? :spyder: