Help me decide - Endela or stretch k390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kingston73

Help me decide - Endela or stretch k390?

Post by kingston73 »

I was all set to buy a k390 endela and then saw the stretch 2. Now I’m split. I love the pm2, one of my favorite carries of all time. Also really like the Manix 2. I want a k390 and want a back lock and now can’t decide. Which would you choose and why?
kennethsime

Re: Help me decide - Endela or stretch k390?

Post by kennethsime »

For me, it's Stretch all the way.

The key difference, to my mind, is whether you like Spyderco's "points" handle (Endura, Delica) or "swell" handle (Stretch, Native). For me, the "points" become hot-spots that stab right into my fingers in just the wrong way. On the other hand, the Stretch handle, much like the PM2 handle, feels like it was made "just for me."

The other thing is whether or not you like choils, but that's almost secondary I think.

The Endela is a slimmer knife - it will probably take up a bit less pocket space. I'd bet it's also lighter weight, and has a stronger tip.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Stretch handle feels a lot better to me. If it were me I'd go with that.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The straight spine stretch 2 has a blade and overall size/design that is very close to the pm2. Also its handle shape isnt too different from the manix.

If you like the pm2 and manix then a straight spine stretch in k390 seems like it should be the right choice.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 pm
The straight spine stretch 2 has a blade and overall size/design that is very close to the pm2. Also its handle shape isnt too different from the manix.

If you like the pm2 and manix then a straight spine stretch in k390 seems like it should be the right choice.
I see your point VooDoo, but I think the handle is much more similar to the PM2 than it is the Manix (you can literally trace the "grip area" of each and they're identical). While the Manix 2 does seem somewhat similar, the addition of the "point" to create the "rear choil" makes the handle a lot less neutral than either the PM2 or the Stretch.

To add to your other point though, and for the benefit of OP, some have called the Straight Spine Stretch the "PM2 Lightweight." I think they're pretty close to truth there.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I would personally get the stretch, the handle feels similar to the Para 2 and Para 3. The delica, endura, and endela all force my middle finger directly onto that hot spot, and the first groove doesn't have enough room for my index and middle finger together. I think this upcoming K390 stretch doesn't have metal liners like the sprint white ivory one did, which also makes it lighter.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

The Stretch handle is amazing and then Sal had to go and make it even better with the Stretch 2! Stretch 2 by far!
Josh
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I prefer finger choil Spyderco's. I just like being able to spread out my index finger forward, close to the blade. I love my Endura but my Natives and Stretch 2 win out ergonomically.
kobold

Post by kobold »

IF the Stretch is not pinned, that is what I would get.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tough choice!

- The Endela is lighter (almost as light as a Manix 2 LW), slimmer in carry, has less pronounced finger points than the Endura (and you could file them away easily anyway if you don´t like them), a stronger tip, the hand is placed closer to the edge in a "regular" grip and it is no problem at all to still choke up on the Ricasso, and, biggset plus for me: It comes in SE

- The Stretch 2 has amazing, very comfy ergos, is perhaps a tad slicier due to the wider blade, has a dedicated choil if you like that, and is MORE than just a "lightweight PM2":
Why MORE than a "lightweight PM2"?:
Handle more comfortable due to the chamfering; thinner blade stock; for me better lock; and a totally different edge-geometry: While the PM2 has a continous curve in the edge, the Stretch has a long, totally straight section, and then a pronounced belly towards the tip: Makes for a different, and imho better (a bit "wharnie-like") cutting characteristic, especially noticeable in for example whittling.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:28 am
I don't believe either is pinned.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

buckleys wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 pm
I would personally get the stretch, the handle feels similar to the Para 2 and Para 3. The delica, endura, and endela all force my middle finger directly onto that hot spot, and the first groove doesn't have enough room for my index and middle finger together. I think this upcoming K390 stretch doesn't have metal liners like the sprint white ivory one did, which also makes it lighter.

? Of course it does still have the liners, and also the same weight...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:28 am
It is not pinned.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 pm

True, but for me the Stretch is more comfortable (chamfering) and clearly a better cutter, due to the thinner blade stock and different edge (not blade-)-geometry
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I haven’t handled an Endela yet but I have handled many many Enduras and Delicas and I cannot imagine that the Endela has better ergos than the Stretch. I vote Stretch,
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Stretch for me. The handle shape fits me perfectly, and I’ve always liked the shallow choil over the ricasso of the Endura family. Straight spine and sharp tip seals the deal.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:27 am
Stretch for me. The handle shape fits me perfectly, and I’ve always liked the shallow choil over the ricasso of the Endura family. Straight spine and sharp tip seals the deal.
Do you feel that the current Stretch 2 still has a shallow choil? The Stretch 1 did, but for me that changed with the "2" (deeper choil).
I preferred the shallow one, gives me more control.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stretch. If you hunt then the Stretch is a no brainer. But I'd still choose it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Why is the Stretch so much heavier than even the Endura? Is it full steel liners, not nested or skeletonized at all?
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Jeeeez, all this Stretch love makes me feel like I made the wrong choice with the Endela! Though, I do find the Endela extremely comfortable and more ergonomic than the PM2 (which I'm carrying today and feels like a block compared to that Endela handle)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick