Help me decide - Endela or stretch k390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

Re: Help me decide - Endela or stretch k390?

Post by TenGrainBread »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:59 am
Why is the Stretch so much heavier than even the Endura? Is it full steel liners, not nested or skeletonized at all?
The blades are around the same size and thickness (Endura is longer but Stretch is taller). The lock bars look to be the same thickness as well. The Stretch's liners are nested just like the Endura. It might just come down to the fact that the Stretch's handle is "taller" so there's more liner. The Endura's liners might be more skeletonized but I haven't opened them recently to see.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:54 pm
For me, it's Stretch all the way.

The key difference, to my mind, is whether you like Spyderco's "points" handle (Endura, Delica) or "swell" handle (Stretch, Native). For me, the "points" become hot-spots that stab right into my fingers in just the wrong way. On the other hand, the Stretch handle, much like the PM2 handle, feels like it was made "just for me."

The other thing is whether or not you like choils, but that's almost secondary I think.

The Endela is a slimmer knife - it will probably take up a bit less pocket space. I'd bet it's also lighter weight, and has a stronger tip.
I almost never post during the work day but this thread drew me out. Kenneth, really excellent description! And I couldn't agree more with this post.

Once I receive my K390 SSS, my K390 Endela will very likely be up for sale.

And I think the weight difference between the 2 is (88gr vs 105) is likely due to the "swell" on the stretch handle. The stretch is skeletonized as is the Endela but at the widest point of the swell it's 31.55mm on my calipers as opposed to 28mm of the Endela and interestingly enough the thickness of the SSS handle I have is 11.5mm versus 10.8mm of the Endela. Blade thickness and lockbar thickness is identical at 3.1mm for both.

This is much more fun than my day job, but alas.....
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I think i prefer the look of the Stretch, but would likely prefer the lower tip of the Endura/Endela in use.

Someone earlier mentioned the Stretch as a PM2 lightweight and it just occurred to me it is about a tenth of an ounce lighter. I don’t really understand where the weight comes from.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't think I've ever looked at the weight of a knife I'm debating on buying, for some reason that plays zero factor in my decision to buy or not. I honestly have no idea how much the typical knife weighs. Some of you guys are crazy technical with this stuff.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:45 pm
I think i prefer the look of the Stretch, but would likely prefer the lower tip of the Endura/Endela in use.

Someone earlier mentioned the Stretch as a PM2 lightweight and it just occurred to me it is about a tenth of an ounce lighter. I don’t really understand where the weight comes from.
In some cases “lightweight” just means FRN or FRCP vs G10... doesn’t always mean significant weight savings. Sometimes they’re a good deal lighter though like in case of Para3\LW there’s a full Oz difference.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm
I don't think I've ever looked at the weight of a knife I'm debating on buying, for some reason that plays zero factor in my decision to buy or not. I honestly have no idea how much the typical knife weighs. Some of you guys are crazy technical with this stuff.
Makes a difference in pocket, which is where it spends most of its time. Or a drawer if I’m being realistic about it.

Obviously not much between 3.3oz and 3.5oz. But my 4.2 oz Southard feels very different than my 2.6 oz 940, despite a very similar edge length.

Obviously not the most important factor. But when trying to differentiate between incredibly similar knives like the Stretch (3.7) and the Endela (3.1) it is a reasonable trait to compare.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

I have a k390 Endura, and all I can say is that it’s a spectacular knife. Looking at the Endura as a more EDC sized version leads me to believe that it would be a real winner.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I'm mostly with you here, I don't research weight at all but I do appreciate how light some of my knives are once I get them, the Native 5 LW and Dragonfly LW in particular.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:26 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I'm mostly with you here, I don't research weight at all but I do appreciate how light some of my knives are once I get them, the Native 5 LW and Dragonfly LW in particular.

As long as a knife is not overly heavy, weight is one of the least factors I consider, but it certainly is one - so if everything else is about equal I´d always take the lighter knife.
Why?
- For one sometimes (but not often) I do types of mountaineering where I really have to keep the pack load as low as possible - so I´d perhaps bring a pack Salt, but not a PM2.
- And then in very light garment pants or shorts it makes a difference if a knife has 2.9 or 4 oz. Not a world of difference, but as "knife nerds" we all look into details, one in the one area, the next in the other.

Now the Endela almost competes with the Manix 2 LW (88 vs 85 grams resp. 3.1 vs 3.0 oz) and I can´t wait for a linerless Endela Salt ffg - this will be the ultimate, full size folder for days when one wants to go really light
The Stretch 2 on the other hand is really in the PM2 range (105 g vs 111 g, resp. 3.7 vs 3.9 oz). Not an issue on 99% of the days, but still one of many factors to consider for me
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 pm
As long as a knife is not overly heavy, weight is one of the least factors I consider, but it certainly is one - so if everything else is about equal I´d always take the lighter knife.
Why?
- For one sometimes (but not often) I do types of mountaineering where I really have to keep the pack load as low as possible - so I´d perhaps bring a pack Salt, but not a PM2.
- And then in very light garment pants or shorts it makes a difference if a knife has 2.9 or 4 oz. Not a world of difference, but as "knife nerds" we all look into details, one in the one area, the next in the other.

Now the Endela almost competes with the Manix 2 LW (88 vs 85 grams resp. 3.1 vs 3.0 oz) and I can´t wait for a linerless Endela Salt ffg - this will be the ultimate, full size folder for days when one wants to go really light
The Stretch 2 on the other hand is really in the PM2 range (105 g vs 111 g, resp. 3.7 vs 3.9 oz). Not an issue on 99% of the days, but still one of many factors to consider for me
Interesting that you compared the Stretch and the PM2 here, because I "feel" like my Stretch is significantly lighter weight than my PM2, and I'll often carry the Stretch over the PM2 on mountain days because of it. I think the slimmer, more compact profile is almost equally important for me - doing more with less, so to speak.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 pm
Interesting that you compared the Stretch and the PM2 here, because I "feel" like my Stretch is significantly lighter weight than my PM2, and I'll often carry the Stretch over the PM2 on mountain days because of it. I think the slimmer, more compact profile is almost equally important for me - doing more with less, so to speak.

Actually I was really surprised too, that the Stretch 2 is not that much lighter than the PM2! It certainly feels like it!
But if you go to the Spyderco site and pick the S45 PM2 sprint and the Straight Spine Stretch, they have actually even the exact same weight (3.8 oz) :eek: - almost hard to believe, given that the Stretch is a tad slimmer, and thinner. has FRN that is also more rounded, and thinner blade stock, while both have milled out liners. Reason can only be that a backlock could genereally be heavier than a comp.lock and perhaps differences in the size or milling of the liners - ?

Anyway, as I´ve said already: The SS Stretch has several things that are "better" for me (personally!) than on the PM2:
- Thinner blade stock
- The backlock,
- Better ergos due to the chamfering of the FRN, no comp.lock cutout and the closed back
- Better cutter due to the unique edge profile with the long, straight section and the pronounced belly towards the tip instead of the continously curved PM2 edge (that will also have its pros, but in my use the Stretch-edge is a bit more useful)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

I can't find the straight spine k390 stretch 2 anywhere it's sold out on every website I've ever used and heard of...anyone know of any shop in USA that still has it in stock?
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deleted (did not realize at first that this is an old thread of Jan 21, but thought Jan 22 ... have said already back then what I have to say ;) )
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think if you have a chance I would handle both at a shop . They both have good qualities . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I personally prefer the Endela. I have had all of the popular Golden and Seki models, and the Endela is my favorite Spyderco model. I am not a huge choil fan personally, and prefer the Endela, Endura, and Delica style models. The Stretch is still a nice knife though and I do plan on getting the K390 version and I am excited to check out the Stretch XL!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

You are all wrong. The correct choice it one or two of all three and then you will have it covered. :winking-tongue
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I bought the Stretch directly from TKJ as I wanted to check out the straight spine model in K390; the Endela was bought on the secondary market for a price I couldn't pass up on :winking-tongue

I tend to use the Stretch more due to the handle shape being more 'hand-filling' + if I need to choke up on the blade to do fine cutting work I have that option due to the choil... the choil also allows me to really bear down on the part of the blade next to the ricasso.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:21 am
Deleted (did not realize at first that this is an old thread of Jan 21, but thought Jan 22 ... have said already back then what I have to say ;) )
Man I just had to do the same double-take with he dates - I started to believe that I really did write those words just last week!

R100

Post by R100 »

To me the Endela is too similar in carry and weight to the Endura to justify the significantly shorter cutting edge. The Stretch on the other hand is quite a different knife and feels much better to me in hand and in use. This is one thing that inspires me to carry it over an Endura or Endela. Another factor is that the smooth section of the handle is in exactly the right place for the clip to rest so that the Stretch is the least pocket shredding Spydie with an frn handle.

It is probably just luck but my zdp drop point and k390 straight spine Stretch have the tightest lock up and smoothest action of all my Seki lockbacks whereas my Endela is one of the very worst. In fact the lock rock is so bad it is now relegated to the glovebox of my wife's car and I never carry it. It's not just me being overly sensitive either, I once leant it too a non knife person friend and he asked me what was wrong with it.

Maybe if my Endela was a better example I would be more positive but the Stretch 2 is a masterpiece in my opinion.

Dan
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

R100 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm
...In fact the lock rock is so bad it is now relegated to the glovebox of my wife's car...

You might as well send it to Golden and get another one. They need to see it for R&D anyway and it doesn't seem like you would miss it for 6 weeks.

I promise you there was no intention to send out a perfect Stretch, but an Endela with a crap lock.
So it goes.