Soap causing corrosion on H1??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kerrcobra

Soap causing corrosion on H1??

Post by kerrcobra »

I checked my shower knife earlier this morning, and I noticed that my Ladybug Salt HB appeared to have some corrosion spotting from having some suds splattered on it. I rubbed off most of it, but there is still these darker specks left that won't scrub off - anyone seen anything similar to this before or have any working theories on what might've caused it? I didn't think anything would make H1 corrode.

Pics:

--Jeremy
JRinFL

Re: Soap causing corrosion on H1??

Post by JRinFL »

I'm no expert, but that looks almost like acid etching to me. Just like when people darken other stainless steels. Is the shower cleaned with an acid based cleaner, or strong chlorine?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:44 am
I checked my shower knife
?
:unicorn
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 am
I'm no expert, but that looks almost like acid etching to me. Just like when people darken other stainless steels. Is the shower cleaned with an acid based cleaner, or strong chlorine?
Nope, this was just some splatter from my body wash. I do agree with you though that it looks like etching - it almost sort of feels like it too when I scrape it with my fingernail (unless I'm just psyching myself out here and imagining things).
--Jeremy
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 am
kerrcobra wrote:
?
C'mon man - you don't have a shower knife? This is unbelievable. Are you telling me that I'm the only one in the world with a shower knife!?

forgot the /s
--Jeremy
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

okay... I will ask... shower knife? I carry almost everywhere, but... shower knife???
PStone

Post by PStone »

The ARK(Always Ready Knife) was designed for exactly that. A shower knife. To combat the number of assaults in the shower in the military. A lot of bad people plan their attack when you’re most vulnerable. The shower is probably the most vulnerable you’ll be.

Plus getting the plastic off a new bottle of body wash can be hard with wet hands. A LB Hawkbill is a much easier way :spyder:
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

PStone wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 am
The shower is probably the most vulnerable you’ll be.

I understood this is one of the standard items that are given to prisoners in US penitentiary system :D
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:11 am
vivi wrote:
kerrcobra wrote:
?
C'mon man - you don't have a shower knife? This is unbelievable. Are you telling me that I'm the only one in the world with a shower knife!?

forgot the /s
We are brothers for a different mother.
Ive had the same Excalibur folder that's lived in the shower for about 20 years now.
NOT ONE bit of pitting or rust but the pivot has got a little tight a few times with soap and shampoo residue.
Amazing such a cheap knife has never rusted, its never been dried either, just put back on the windowsill wet and folded.
Doesn't have a steel type on the blade, just stainless written.
I use it for the bottom of my feet to remove all that soft dead skin :) works a treat but its an art.
Can take off sheets from the bottom of my heel lol, especially after going barefoot a lot.
Don't want the blade too sharp though, ive had a few accidents on the outer sides of each foot over the years.
Are you using it for the same thing? or self defence whilst in the shower lol?
Last edited by Salty Dog on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

kerrcobra wrote:
I checked my shower knife earlier this morning, and I noticed that my Ladybug Salt HB appeared to have some corrosion spotting from having some suds splattered on it. I rubbed off most of it, but there is still these darker specks left that won't scrub off - anyone seen anything similar to this before or have any working theories on what might've caused it? I didn't think anything would make H1 corrode.

Pics:

Hold on, just looking at this pic, I cant see you using this blade to remove soft waterlogged skin lol, I definitely wouldn't go serrated for that.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 am
kerrcobra wrote:
vivi wrote:
kerrcobra wrote:
?

forgot the /s
Ive had the same Excalibur folder that's lived in the shower for about 20 years now.
NOT ONE bit of pitting or rust but the pivot has got a little tight a few times with soap and shampoo residue.
I use it for the bottom of my feet to remove all that soft dead skin :) works a treat but its an art.
Can take off sheets from the bottom of my heel lol, especially after going barefoot a lot.
Don't want the blade too sharp though, ive had a few accidents on the outer sides of each foot over the years.
lol man I use it for opening up the soap bottle to get the last bit out; however, I think your idea is much better and I'm definitely going to give it a try. I have thick calluses on the heels of my feet that lotion simply isn't even touching...I might just have to carve them off carefully.
--Jeremy
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am
Hold on, just looking at this pic, I cant see you using this blade to remove soft waterlogged skin lol, I definitely wouldn't go serrated for that.
Yeah man, I definitely wouldn't use serrated for it, but I am going to try it with a plain-edge knife now that you've suggested it.
--Jeremy
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

PStone wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 am
The ARK(Always Ready Knife) was designed for exactly that. A shower knife. To combat the number of assaults in the shower in the military. A lot of bad people plan their attack when you’re most vulnerable. The shower is probably the most vulnerable you’ll be.

PStone beat me to it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 am
kerrcobra wrote:
vivi wrote:

?

forgot the /s
lol man I use it for opening up the soap bottle to get the last bit out; however, I think your idea is much better and I'm definitely going to give it a try. I have thick calluses on the heels of my feet that lotion simply isn't even touching...I might just have to carve them off carefully.
Lol sweet, this is the scoop bro.
We have a shower that's over the bath so we stand in the bath to shower.
I put the plug in as im having a shower, by the end of my shower my dead skin on my feet is white like it gets.
Hold the knife one hand and hold the blade tip in your other and draw the skin off just like you'd take the bark off a tree.
Its not actually cutting it off with the edge, its putting enough pressure on and getting the right angle to scrape.
Its addictive and the BEST way to have your feet looking like supermodels in no time.
This method also removes heel cracks in time.
Cant believe im talking about this lol
Let me know how you go bro lol
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Lol, first time I've heard of a shower knife too. No hate from me brother, do your thing.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:43 am
Lol sweet, this is the scoop bro.
We have a shower that's over the bath so we stand in the bath to shower.
I put the plug in as im having a shower, by the end of my shower my dead skin on my feet is white like it gets.
Hold the knife one hand and hold the blade tip in your other and draw the skin off just like you'd take the bark off a tree.
Its not actually cutting it off with the edge, its putting enough pressure on and getting the right angle to scrape.
Its addictive and the BEST way to have your feet looking like supermodels in no time.
This method also removes heel cracks in time.
Cant believe im talking about this lol
Let me know how you go bro lol
lmao will do
--Jeremy
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Pretty sure we had shower knife discussions before. Also someone once corroded H1 really bad with a chlorine tablet.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Could the spotting on the blade have to do with chlorine levels in the tap water? Or could there be enough of it to even be a factor?

Jim
anycal

Post by anycal »

Shower knife? How else am I going to crack open a beer bottle?
Peter
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

vivi wrote:
kerrcobra wrote:
?
C'mon man! You can't tell me I'm the only one who has been caught in the shower during a severe earthquake, in which the building collapsed and I had to dig myself out?!

Good thing I had my Ladybug...

:p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson