Soap causing corrosion on H1??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kerrcobra

Re: Soap causing corrosion on H1??

Post by kerrcobra »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 am
Pretty sure we had shower knife discussions before. Also someone once corroded H1 really bad with a chlorine tablet.
James Y wrote: Could the spotting on the blade have to do with chlorine levels in the tap water?

Jim
It could be the chlorine. I don't notice a strong chlorine smell or anything, and I've got a pretty good nose for smells. However, I'm certain there is probably at least some chlorine in the tap water. However, I've left the knife wet before and there was no corrosion. This spotting is specifically where the soapy water splattered on it.
--Jeremy
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would be more worried about whats in your soap.

Seriously though it seems like its some kind of staining from the soap. Not all staining or corrosion is rust, and h1 only promises not to rust, so...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

As Larrin has noted on his blog, while H1 is touted in the knife industry as "rust-proof", it is actually less corrosion-resistant than the most common and pedestrian stainless steel alloys used in industry (such as 304 and 316 series).

That's not to say I know what the staining is on your knife, but we also shouldn't be super-surprised to learn that H1 can corrode.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:01 pm
I would be more worried about whats in your soap.

Seriously though it seems like its some kind of staining from the soap. Not all staining or corrosion is rust, and h1 only promises not to rust, so...
Yeah, no kidding. Might be time to change my soap.
TenGrainBread wrote: As Larrin has noted on his blog, while H1 is touted in the knife industry as "rust-proof", it is actually less corrosion-resistant than the most common and pedestrian stainless steel alloys used in industry (such as 304 and 316 series).

That's not to say I know what the staining is on your knife, but we also shouldn't be super-surprised to learn that H1 can corrode.
This is a good point that I never thought of.
--Jeremy
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I would guess a lot of soaps are fairly caustic.

My campground shower knife is whatever I’m carrying, almost always non stainless. Never a corrosion problem, but I don’t let soap spatter linger very long.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Was wondering how this thread had multiple pages so I decided to check it out. Two words sums it up...shower knife. Hahaha, that's epic. I'll have a shower beer sometimes, but have never once considered bringing a knife with me in the shower. That's a whole other level of paranoia if you ask me. Lock your house and bathroom door, should be good!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:40 pm
Was wondering how this thread had multiple pages so I decided to check it out. Two words sums it up...shower knife. Hahaha, that's epic. I'll have a shower beer sometimes, but have never once considered bringing a knife with me in the shower. That's a whole other level of paranoia if you ask me. Lock your house and bathroom door, should be good!
Water ninjas. You'll see.... Or you won't.....
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 am

C'mon man! You can't tell me I'm the only one who has been caught in the shower during a severe earthquake, in which the building collapsed and I had to dig myself out?!
Right on, brother! And in case you can't dig yourself out, at least you can look attractively manscaped for the rescuers.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Soap is caustic and will react with some metals.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Youze guyz are slow. I talked about keeping a Jumpmaster 2 in the shower in October of 2019.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85088&p=1369680&hil ... r#p1369680
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:40 pm

Locking up the bathroom isn't the solution. I always take my Military in the shower because I don't want to open the curtain, find an alligator or anaconda coming out of the toilet and have nothing to defend myself. Many people throw them down the toilet when they are small and then they grow in the sewers. :eek:
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

does it ever get sprayed with cleaner? we spray our shower down every few showers we take and clean it once a week or so. maybe it's a more caustic cleaner?

btw, i do carry a "shower knife" when i shower in a public gym shower. it's actually my workout knife that i just take with me to the shower. you can't be too careful. mine is a pac salt though. that package opener isn't going to do you a lot of good when your hands and/or eyes are soapy. i have a hard enough time not cutting myself with my lbhb when my hands are dry.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

No, it never got sprayed by a cleaner. This is something that happened overnight or within the last 2 days.
--Jeremy
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:44 am
I checked my shower knife
?
Lives in Florida? Snakes swimming upstream? Dunno either. :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kerrcobra,

As mentioned, if you think it might be the soap, I would worry about the soap? My guess is that a bit of Flitz would take it off, but that doesn't solve the mystery of how it got there? :confused:

sal
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I doubt its soap.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Soaps can be strongly alkaline, particularly if the maker didn’t neutralize it before packing for sale. A bit of alkalinity is helpful for removing fats/oils. Traditional soap was made from fat treated with lye, which converts the fat into soap.

H-1 is more resistant to salt water corrosion than type 304 stainless, and on a par with type 316 in my experience. I do construction on the coast and get to see some incredible corrosion right near the water.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It could be the soap as some can be very caustic. However, it could also be hard water deposits. I've had that happen on a number of knives. It can be gotten off with Brasso or Flitz.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to test my two different soaps on it and report back with my findings.
--Jeremy
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Like I said, I carry ALMOST everywhere. And I am not a clumsy person...

But I value certain parts too much to risk a slip in the shower with a sharp knife...

And... where do you secure the clip when you are naked...??? No pictures please!