New Para 3 Problem...Help!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slomaninthehouse

New Para 3 Problem...Help!

Post by Slomaninthehouse »

Just bought a new Para 3 and when I changed the clip location, one of the screw holes will not hold the screw. The screw just falls out. I contacted customer support only to be told to send it in (on my own dime). This is a brand new knife and never carried. Is this the way Spyderco handles warranty work?

Has anyone else had this problem with this knife? Warranty?

Also told it would be 3 weeks for them to get to it.

Thanks all.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: New Para 3 Problem...Help!

Post by Doc Dan »

Most warrantees work in a similar fashion. You have to send it in. They do not have xray vision that can see as far as where you are and determine if it is a fault in the knife or something you did. Second, they are cautious on their time estimates of returning knives because COVID has slowed everything way down. I hope this helps you to understand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Which dealer did you buy it from? Have you contacted them about an exchange or a return?
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've had this happen before. You're not tightening each screw all the way as you screw it in are you? Like most things that are screwed in, only make it snug once all 3 screws are in place. I've also found it easier to when I screw in the middle screw first.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Exchange it with the authorized dealer you bought it from and let them take care of the warranty stuff.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I think it's very possible that the screw is just stripped. I've had this happen before on a pm2 the first time I switched the clip. It's definitely annoying that the screws are so soft. Look closely at the screw and see if any grooves are flattened at the end. When it happened to me I think I just called Spyderco and asked for replacement screws, which they sent me for free.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Generally, I am a staunch anti-warranty person. Because in most cases it's more hassle than it's worth and the companies are specifically trying to get out of having to warranty the item.

However, Spyderco is an exception. They may not he able to fix every knife that gets sent to them(really old ones, mainly). But, they always make it right.

It's one of the reasons that the only production knives I purchase and use are Spydercos. They take care of their customers.

They seem to mimic one of my personal business philosophies.
"It's better to lose a little money on creating a happy customer, than to save all the money at the expense of that customer's future business."
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'll add....I've only had to send in a couple knives (out of 100+) for warranty work. When they sent the one back they included cash in the box to help cover my cost for sending it in. Don't know for sure but my guess would be they do it this way because they don't know if something will be covered by warranty or not. Why should they pay to have something sent back to them if it's possible an issue was caused by the user?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:54 am
I think it's very possible that the screw is just stripped. I've had this happen before on a pm2 the first time I switched the clip. It's definitely annoying that the screws are so soft. Look closely at the screw and see if any grooves are flattened at the end. When it happened to me I think I just called Spyderco and asked for replacement screws, which they sent me for free.

I've not had a stripped screw, but this ^ is interesting...if the screw is soft and its threads are stripped, soft screws were probably spec'd by the factory on purpose to protect the integrity of the threads in the liner. It's a lot easier to replace a stripped screw, then drill and tap new threads in the liner...!
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

Hopefully only the screw is stripped like this:
7DF49A1C-58BA-49A8-9FC6-75A299C66F65.jpeg
Spyderco’s warranty took care of me ;)
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
anycal

Post by anycal »

If it is as bad as the one in Jake's pic, you will need a new screw. If it is only the bottom thread, try screwing it in without the clip.

I had this issue before, where the liner and/or the clip is not all the way tight against the G10, and the screw will not catch the thread of the liner.
Peter
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Good advice and knowledge drops in this thread.

Welcome aboard, OP!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I would do what others have suggested and try contacting the retailer first. If you have no luck then send it to Spyderco’s warranty department.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

My Para 3 lightweight had loctited screws so breaking them loose the first time was difficult but fortunately didn’t cause any damage or strip the screws. Did you check to see if your screws were full of dried loctite? Also check the screw holes for dried loctite.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:05 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:54 am

I've not had a stripped screw, but this ^ is interesting...if the screw is soft and its threads are stripped, soft screws were probably spec'd by the factory on purpose to protect the integrity of the threads in the liner. It's a lot easier to replace a stripped screw, then drill and tap new threads in the liner...!
That's a very good point, and I hadn't thought about the soft screw issue that way before. The choice to keep using them makes a lot more sense to me now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.