Spydisaster! (U.K.)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Spydisaster! (U.K.)

Post by ChrisinHove »

In Europe we have always had to pay a little more for Spyderco, a consequence of distance and trade rules, but things have gone from bad to worst in the U.K. in 2021.

One of the 2 main European suppliers has stopped shipping here altogether, and the other has increased charges significantly (an extra $84 US on a $376 Swayback, for example). US retailers are also putting up additional barriers such as significant minimum order values.

I don’t blame them, though. This all a consequence of our marvellous U.K. government introducing bizarre import rules which makes the overseas retailer responsible for collecting sales tax and paying it - and then charging the retailer for the privilege of doing so!

Unfortunately this is all part of the Brexit debacle, described as the biggest act of economic self-harm in history, so unlikely to improve any time soon. :(
TenGrainBread

Re: Spydisaster! (U.K.)

Post by TenGrainBread »

Just to keep a lid on the political stuff, I'll just say that you have my sympathies, and I think your evaluation of the situation is accurate.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

As a European, I know what you mean.
What main sellers did you mean? Lamnia and knivesandtools? Or someone else?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

I´m really sorry for you, guys. Brexit is going to make life difficult. Yours and ours. 15 years ago I was in charge of my company's operations in the UK, so I had to spend 4 days (3 nights) a week in London. This allowed me to know Brittons beyond clichés and prejudices and convinced me that you are more "European" than many of you think. :D

Probably not in the short term, but I trust and hope that in a few years the Labor Party will include a return to the EU in their electoral program, win the elections and you join us again.

Btw, who is the European supplier who has stopped shipping there?
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am sympathetic with my fellow Spyderco fans from U.K, but mark my words : E.U sucks and you did good when you left. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I bet if you privately asked a US based member that they could be willing to help you out. People are generally good about helping others in difficult situations.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Oh man, sorry four you!
I know, NO politics here... so let me just say: I (as an Austrian) agree with you on Brexit (but I won´t ever discuss on this forum why). Sad "you" left.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

So I can get a little more educated with facts on what you’re talking about, I have some questions:

What is the law/trade rule/ordinance/import rule that was changed/implemented which resulted in the increased taxes?

What are the additional charges that the UK retailer have to pay on their side? What tax was implemented for this?

What supplier stopped selling and which upped their prices?

What did they publish as the reason for no longer carrying Spyderco and/or increasing their prices? Where can that info be found?

Which US suppliers have increased their minimum orders? And what is their published reasoning?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:09 am
Yes. Lamnia have stopped all delivery to the U.K. now. K&T were pricier, and much more so, now.
archangel

Post by archangel »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:24 am
Just to keep a lid on the political stuff, I'll just say that you have my sympathies, and I think your evaluation of the situation is accurate.

^^ this exactly.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Do you mean that if you order one knife from knifeworks.com or some place similar in the USA, your government is going to make them collect and pay the taxes plus charge them extra for doing so?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:38 am
Do you mean that if you order one knife from knifeworks.com or some place similar in the USA, your government is going to make them collect and pay the taxes plus charge them extra for doing so?
That’s their plan. Unbelievable.
Reject

Post by Reject »

Australia has these rules with the GST (goods and services tax).

Now these are only my thoughts.

If they did not apply this rule to all importers, they would not have been able to get a big company like eBay to abide by these rules.

I think they know that getting companies in the USA to comply would be difficult; if not impossible.

I think they are quite happy now to have eBay collecting taxes for them and are unlikely to try and take companies in other countries to court in those countries.

I have not heard of any overseas sellers applying these taxes.
:o Other people may have.
Last edited by Reject on Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
How much can a Koala bear?
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 pm
Pancake wrote:
Yes. Lamnia have stopped all delivery to the U.K. now. K&T were pricier, and much more so, now.
Have you ever tried Coutellerie Tourangelle?
Their shipping option(s) are lousy, but their pricing is very good (almost US good).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Pancake wrote:
Their shipping option(s) are lousy, but their pricing is very good (almost US good).

I had only good experiences with them so far too. And, right, lower prices than most other places but imho still not close to the US - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:21 am
pantagana23 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Pancake wrote:

I had only good experiences with them so far too. And, right, lower prices than most other places but imho still not close to the US - ?!

It depends on the knife. The Endura Zome costs 94.94 EUR in Coutellerie Touragelle (CT) and 114.95 en K&T. But the Ikuchi costs 172.70 EUR in CT and 165.00 in K&T. The Manix 2 lightweight Maxamet costs in CT 259.15 EUR and 221.95 in K&T. I have not checked Lamnia because everything appears to be out of stock there lately.

So better checking all dealers before pulling the trigger :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I know this is real bad for UK folks (on many levels). But I would expect that once things get settles and clarified, than in a few months most of the shops will start to ship again to UK. Just hang in there - I am positive that it will get better for you in the course of 2021
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sorry to hear about this mate.
I can relate a bit with the price, Spydercos are worth twice as much here than the states, sometimes three times the price, it blows man.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Reject wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:23 am
Australia has these rules with the GST (goods and services tax).

Now these are only my thoughts.

If they did not apply this rule to all importers, they would not have been able to get a big company like eBay to abide by these rules.

I think they know that getting companies in the USA to comply would be difficult; if not impossible.

I think they are quite happy now to have eBay collecting taxes for them and are unlikely to try and take companies in other countries to court in those countries.

I have not heard of any overseas sellers applying these taxes.
:o Other people may have.
Not to go too OT, but yes Reject, other US sellers are applying the Australian GST. Apparently overseas retailers who would have incurred $75K of Australian Goods and Services Tax liability p.a., (i.e. $750,000 or more of annual sales into Australia) are liable to charge and collect this tax.

I stopped buying from one particular seller because of this, and now mostly buy from another smaller company I’ve dealt with for years, who do not collect the 10% GST.

Sorry to hear about that Chris, you have my sympathies.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Brexit means Brexit and you’re going to make a stellar success of it :D

Being in EU if I want to buy something from amazon.uk there are duties that are calculated and displayed as duties in checkout.

If these are the rules set then all the smaller/bigger european dealers, Tourangelle included, will have to eventually implement these.

Amazon being a huge business has resources and has prepared for this, other smaller dealers have not because there are costs involved for changing the websites and the processes, that's why it was easier for some of them to just tell you to fkoff

You still have the local dealer, Heinnie, dirt cheap, a Swayback is only 397£ - support your local businesses

Otherwise I suppose things are just going to settle down in time, for better or for worse...