Spydisaster! (U.K.)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Spydisaster! (U.K.)

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as the "import-export" discussion it's not just the UK alone with that type of problem. I've talked to some of the Brothers from Austrailia as well as about 4 other countries where Spyderco knives are loved and with all the duties, tariffs and import taxes you would think that they want to eliminate imports from the USA. Actually I can't think of any other reason that this is happening all over the globe no less.

How can you have a free trade system when many people who want to do business with you are penalized to such a degree. It just doesn't make any sense at all IMO.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Is there a minimum sales total that triggers the new UK regulations?

In other words, if a small retailer shipped into the UK, and only had (for example) £1500 worth of sales there, would they also be subject to the new tax collection rules?
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:33 am
Unfortunately this is all part of the Brexit debacle, described as the biggest act of economic self-harm in history, so unlikely to improve any time soon. :(
Agreed. I am not saying whether we should or should not have stayed in the EU, because frankly, I don't know enough to give an informed opinion, but what a mess we made of leaving. We literally could not have f@cked ourselves harder from start to finish if we had tried.

I really hope we can mend some bridges with our EU friends, as with our cousins across the pond, so we can progress.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Rinzler wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:55 am
I bet if you privately asked a US based member that they could be willing to help you out. People are generally good about helping others in difficult situations.
I would also be willing to bet this.

I asked for help getting a couple of knives back from the US and received 2 replies right off the bat.

Very helpful indeed, and very grateful to both people that helped.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It’s not obvious to me that any of the parts involved benefits from Brexit. Sadly.
But it also seems quite obvious that EU is evolving to become something that appears more like a super state than a trade union. Without going into the politics, a reaction to this development had to happen. One would hope it wasn’t all in vain, but that’s probably wishful thinking
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Reject wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:23 am
Australia has these rules with the GST (goods and services tax).

Now these are only my thoughts.

If they did not apply this rule to all importers, they would not have been able to get a big company like eBay to abide by these rules.

I think they know that getting companies in the USA to comply would be difficult; if not impossible.

I think they are quite happy now to have eBay collecting taxes for them and are unlikely to try and take companies in other countries to court in those countries.

I have not heard of any overseas sellers applying these taxes.
:o Other people may have.
Hi Reject
Knifecenter collects GST, had a few deliveries in Darwin in the last 12 months and 10% GST added both times.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Eee

Post by Eee »

Politics aside, it would be less of a problem if the UK distributor brought in a better range. There are some excellent stockists in the UK, but somehow we consistently fail to get access to Spyderco products available in Europe. My last 3 purchases had to come from Europe because I couldn’t get them here and I’m not talking expensive or rare stuff (an Aeb-l urban and 2 kitchen knives). I know the urban was a sprint run, but given it’s basically been designed around UK laws, you’d think the distributor would think to bring some over. It’s reached the point for me where I won’t be importing for a while, so if I can’t buy them from the UK, I just won’t buy. Spyderco’s loss and my loss, but I have a lot of nice Spydercos already, so I’ll just enjoy using those. First world problems :rolleyes: :)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

On the bottom of the Lamnia main page there's a banner that says they will resume shipping to UK, so no worries