Fixing a stuck pivot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
driftingfir

Fixing a stuck pivot

Post by driftingfir »

Nearly a year ago I got a s35vn dlc pm2. I wasn't ever able to adjust the pivot. I tried heating it up with a hairdryer and soldering iron. I finally drilled into the pivot screws enough to be able to take the screws out. I've got a hardware kit on order. I know spyderco no longer lock tights their knives, but it should never have been this difficult.
Sharp Guy

Re: Fixing a stuck pivot

Post by Sharp Guy »

Once you learn how it's not that difficult to loosen the screws even when there's loctite on the threads.

Use your driver bit in the screw and give the end of the bit a few good whacks with a small mallet to break the bond. I also have a driver extension that allows a little more room but using just the bit works fine. Just be careful not to hit your fingers with the mallet haha

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:41 pm
Use your driver bit in the screw and give the end of the bit a few good whacks with a small mallet to break the bond. I also have a driver extension that allows a little more room but using just the bit works fine. Just be careful not to hit your fingers with the mallet haha

Hey, thanks for this tip. Had not thought to mallet whack, but makes sense. That's exactly how I get the stuck router bits out of my collett!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Just don't hit it so hard that you damage something.

Also, good fitting torx bits and a driver with plenty of leverage helps. If you whack it a few times and it's still won't budge hit it a few more times. It'll break loose
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think I will try that on the spinning pivot of my Coyote Urban. Heat did no good at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:56 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:41 pm

Hey, thanks for this tip.

+1
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10