Cru-wear, 1. K390 & 1095, 0!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Cru-wear, 1. K390 & 1095, 0!

Post by JRinFL »

I was doing a mass clean-and-oil session using mineral oil on many of my non-stainless folders. Since I use the mineral oil to do both the cleaning and the lubricating, my fingers were coated in oil. Few fumbles here and there, but no harm, that is until the Cru-wear Para3's turn. It popped out of my hand, automatic responses took over and I managed to grab it. Yep, managed to slice my thumb on the side. :o Yes, I *know* not to catch a falling blade, however *knowing* is not *doing*. Mea Culpa.

On the positive side, those blades are clean and protected!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Re: Cru-wear, 1. K390 & 1095, 0!

Post by steelcity16 »

You too!? I just dropped my K390 Endela on my foot opening an amazon package. I moved out of the way I thought, but it hit the bed and redirected it onto my foot and sliced my pinky toe. I have it all wrapped up with clotting gauze at the moment. Hoping a wound closure strip will take care of it. Bled quite a bit! My first knife mishap in a long while! I dropped a chisel on my bare foot a year or so ago and the closure strips prevented me from getting stitches that time. Maybe I need to start wearing shoes...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ha. A couple weeks ago I was fooling around in the kitchen with my Maxamet Manix and accidentally dropped it. Of course, I tried to grab it, cut myself, and watched it thunk, quivering, tip-down into the floor board in the exact spot my wife's foot had been a split second before. Not a good look for the knife nut. :rolleyes:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Some of the cons of being in to knives: you handle them a lot more so more opportunity for accidents and, if you keep them sharp like most of us do, you just know you’re gonna cut the heck out of yourself if you fumble!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MFlovejp wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:53 pm
Some of the cons of being in to knives: you handle them a lot more so more opportunity for accidents and, if you keep them sharp like most of us do, you just know you’re gonna cut the heck out of yourself if you fumble!

True, the sharp knives of people like us who more or less know how to maintain an edge cut deeper in case of an accident, but I think also "cleaner" (like in not ripping open).

I cut myself in the forearm last fall when I was on a remote hut in the mountains: Extremely silly, it was very thick, old cardboard I separated in order to light a fire in the oven, and actually cut into my left forearm that was on the other side of the cardboard I held in my left hand.
The knife was my freshly sharpened Endela, and I bled all over the place. If I had not been high up in the mountains I actually would have visited a hospital to get some stitching, but being in a remote place I just wrapped around my arm what I could find and left it alone.
As said, the cut was deep but very clean, and it healed amazingly well. I will have a rather small, unobtrusive scar for the rest of my life, but I really think the sharpness of the blade perhaps was a good thing and helped that the wound did not get "messy".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

By reading the thread title, this was not what I expected :eek: Hope you all have a fast recovery on the fresh ones!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Maybe we should create a new thread entitled "post your Spydie-bites". I do have a few pics in my phone of how bleedin' bite-y these little buggers are (yeah I know, crazy how you'd first take a pic of your bleeding hand before stopping the bleed, but hey, we are a crazy bunch!) :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Cuts from sharp, refined edges can heal very quickly. I believe the reason is that the cut is very clean and very few cells get damaged, so when closed up, the body has less cleanup to do before it can start knitting the flesh back together. Conversely, the slowest cuts to heal are those inflicted by rough, dull objects such as abrasive cutoff wheels that destroy a wide swath of tissue in their path.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:34 pm
Cuts from sharp, refined edges can heal very quickly. I believe the reason is that the cut is very clean and very few cells get damaged, so when closed up, the body has less cleanup to do before it can start knitting the flesh back together. Conversely, the slowest cuts to heal are those inflicted by rough, dull objects such as abrasive cutoff wheels that destroy a wide swath of tissue in their path.
I concur with this and with what our friend Wartstein said above. One of my prouder edges is that on my ZDP Delica AKA my pocket lightsaber. That thing was fresh off the stones one day and I put a good slice in my thumb.. I barely felt it and it was so narrow and neat that it seemed to heal within a day or two.

So as long as your razor sharp blade doesn’t sever your finger outright I’d say it is much better to be cut by a sharp blade than a dull one!
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
undermined

Post by undermined »

Just 2 weeks back I got bit on my Cru-wear Delica fresh off a strop.

I didn't know I was cut ... until I saw I managed to open up my thumb when I was oiling the blade.

I was impressed and proud of the cutting ability after stropping already but this time I was like "I did this to myself... and I'm not even mad" not the knifes fault.

I already knew it could cut but I didn't know exactly how good the stropped edge was.

Now I want more Cru-wear or that Z-wear Shaman at least. :)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I was under the impression that razor sharp cuts heal more slowly than abrasive laceration type cuts. Go figure.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:34 pm
I was under the impression that razor sharp cuts heal more slowly than abrasive laceration type cuts. Go figure.
From the people I know who cut cattle, the ones cut with the finest most refined edges heal faster.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t know if they heal quicker, but clean edged cuts heal with less scarring.
Lesson learned on cleaning, keep it on the work surface!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

I developed a diverse reflex. If it is not sharp, but expensive (photo gear), grab it quickly! If it is sharp, then just let it go and move the feet out of the way, quickly.

I still get cuts in many different ways anyway.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

By far my worst spyderbite (byte?) was from the P'kal. I was just fiddling and tried to flick it closed, and managed to nick the web of my hand with the tip. That cut was absurdly deep, and the knife was so sharp I didn't even feel it at first.

My wife dropped the vegetable cleaver in the kitchen a few days ago, and thankfully we both had the sense to jump backward away from that one.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

kobold wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:41 am
I developed a diverse reflex. If it is not sharp, but expensive (photo gear), grab it quickly! If it is sharp, then just let it go and move the feet out of the way, quickly.

I still get cuts in many different ways anyway.

I was going to say exactly the same. I've cut myself so many times that I've developed the unconscious reflex to jump back when an open knife falls from my hands. To avoid risks if it bounces when reaching the ground, I assume.

And yes, I also keep cutting myself in other ways too :D . Last time, last Thursday, cutting some onions ... My poor thumb :o
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
bruce91748

Post by bruce91748 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:30 pm
You too!? I just dropped my K390 Endela on my foot opening an amazon package. I moved out of the way I thought, but it hit the bed and redirected it onto my foot and sliced my pinky toe. I have it all wrapped up with clotting gauze at the moment. Hoping a wound closure strip will take care of it. Bled quite a bit! My first knife mishap in a long while! I dropped a chisel on my bare foot a year or so ago and the closure strips prevented me from getting stitches that time. Maybe I need to start wearing shoes...
Ouch I just cut myself open and in great pain. Let me go onto THE forum and see who else just got cut.
Note to self, don't touch the knives for the rest of the day, at least not until after dinner and a few drinks. :p
kobold

Post by kobold »

Booze and power tools are also a great combination :rolleyes: :D
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10