As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Philo Beddoe

Re: As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Post by Philo Beddoe »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:41 pm
At least with Spyderco, there's a chance for it to come back (good luck with other manufacturers, I'd still love to get some early 2000s Benchmades, but that's definitely not happening)
I have no problem with any knives being brought back but if that's going to get done then ANY knife that now sales for more than it originally sold for when discontinued needs to be redone. Amount doesn't matter. And its the only fair way to everyone to do it. Everyone needs to be made happy.

Myself I would really like a Tuff but that ship has sailed. I had my chances when it was in production and then when it went discontinued. That's life, I moved on and got over it.

But I'm not going to come here and start a whiny thread accusing Spyderco of it being there fault and in general bashing Spyderco and talking about "stains" when it was my fault.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:13 pm
Chapp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:40 pm

The Slysz Bowie was sold at 280€ in Europe back then and in my opinion, that was part of the appeal. Getting a Spyderco alternative to a Sebenza (sort of) at half the price, with stellar design, good look and very good fit and finish.

What would justify the price jump to 400 euros, with everything being equal ? Kind of a questionable move imo, unless they update the knife a little (better steal, removing the backspacer...).
Ok, it was 280, but it was back in 2014-2015.
Every year the prices get raised, so in 2021 the price would be higher.
So, would you pay 370 € for it? Or even more?
Before its discontinuation, I've never witness that price jump for myself, to me it has always been a ~300 euros knife, even up until the end.

If Spyderco re-release the SB without upgrades, but communicate about how hard it was to bring it back, how little money they make back on it or give straight reasons, I'd believe them, understand and gladly pay 400 euros for it. If it's just a matter of surfing on the fear of missing out or the big hype around it, without any reasons given... I'll still pull the trigger because the money goes to a company I like and good people, but with a bit of a sour taste I guess.

I've asked for it to come back from a long time, it would be an awful move to play it cheap if Spyderco decides to bring it back. Plus, I won't give money to some greedy guy I don't know, someone who's profiting from a very rare market hazard to make a small profit out of fellow enthousiasts. I've sold rare knife before, I've never even thought of making a profit out of those and never will, that's why I side-eye people who think it's normal and hide behind the saint market rules to justify the behavior. Must be my christian upgrining.

To make it short, yes. Even at 500 euros I think, even if I know I'm getting played at that price.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This day and age, either pay up that crazy secondary market price...or buy something different. There are MANY titanium options out there from many different makers, readily available. Just find the one that speaks to you.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Im a Seiko dive watch collector although I don't buy them much anymore because they've generally priced me out of the market. Seiko have a good model around reissuing popular discontinued models.
Seiko rereleases many of its classics and vintage models, they sell like hotcakes and they keep the fans interested and create a lot of antisipation.
They make small changes and upgrades to these reissues so they don't distract from the originals.
Its great when a company reissues a great model.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:28 pm
Haha, incredible. I'm willing to bet that doesn't even sell! You could get multiple top end quality knives with even better materials for that price!

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:28 pm
Haha, incredible. I'm willing to bet that doesn't even sell! You could get multiple top end quality knives with even better materials for that price!
No kidding! That's pure insanity. :eek:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Anyone else like the Spydiechef better?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Never handled a Slysz Bowie, but I like my SpydieChef plenty. As far as personal utility goes, I think I made the right choice.
Danke

Post by Danke »

This thread would be a good read for anyone hoping to reanimate a long gone model.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87077

I would suggest avoiding any impression of this being about how much one person wants or deserves a reissue. Making about how many people will want one will be more productive.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 pm
Look more closely..that one did sale for that amount.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Nirva ... ition=1000

Here's another one that sold..came with a Square head folding pin but hey, at least the shipping was cheaper than the other one..

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Chapp wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:09 am
spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:19 pm
Chapp wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:46 pm
Edit : Here's an exemple, with prices being mentioned at the end of the thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... e.1556493/
The end of February is not when it was discontinued. The production run was not bought by "scalpers" and prices did not increase as drastically as quickly as you claim. The knife was in production for almost three years, it's unfortunate that you were not able to purchase one but I do not believe it is a stain or any other derogatory mark against the company. I'd wager only a very small minority of enthusiasts is even aware of this model's recent rise in popularity and even smaller portion actually cares.
I was being polite with you, so let me put it more bluntly : there weren't "many threads" on BF under 300 dollar after Nov 07, 2017 like you claimed. Only one or two on BF and it's easy to verify (I just did). You were wrong in your first post, period.

Plus, I never said the price immediately increased "drastically". I just said, word for word that the "price went up immediately" after its discontinuation which it did (and not just on BF by the way). Never used the word drastically or something along this line in the post you quoted, stop putting words or arguments in my mouth, thanks. On December already, there were already 350 SB being sold on Ebay and reddit, I remember it very well but again, we probably live in two different dimensions.

I'll let you have the final word on the matter. I don't care about Mandela's effect market.
Menipo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:25 pm

Maybe I am the first person you read who asked for them to come back, but I'm not the only one who did it recently:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88382

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88480
Oof two threads on a small forums, what a phenomenon /s. Really took the knife world by storm.

Let me get this straight : are you trying to say that the SB situation is nothing special or that the Dyad is in the same bag and if not, what's the point of comparision with the SB exactly ?

I'm starting to get tired of all those people who can't swallow that their favourite ones aren't getting as much attention as the SB and feel the need to make people remember they exist. I know weirdos who swear by drinking fresh pig blood out of corpses, that doesn't make it popular.

I don't remember the forum being that petty m, childish (posting "troll" insults or baby crap pictures, for real ?) or people being that protective over Spyderco, especially people with probably a quarter of my Spyderco collection. Back then, we used to give crap to Spyderco for not letting us open and maintain our stuff without voiding the warranty (and it changed) and gave even more crap to the few weirdos defending that choice. Today we're giving excuses to scalpers, trying to handwave the popularity of one of Spyderco greatest marvel and being over defensive about one of the most puzzling choice Spyderco ever made (which is saying something). What a sad state of affairs. So yeah, I'm doubling on what I said in my first post, as a fan I'm really not ok with Spyderco letting scalpers or greedy mf getting away with SB current situation. It's a stain on Spyderco's reputation to me and I really hope that it will change in a near future with a re-release and a straight communication around it.

That's my last comment on the matter. I don't mind people disagreeing, but I'm vastly disappointed by the level of answers here, it's not the forum I remember. Thanks to the few people who were understanding and tried to participate in good faith. For the rest, keep going at it until there is only three ultra protective fan left, brushing eachothers pubic hairs while they stare at the five Spyderco they bought used (probably the people Spyderco should listen hey). That's the way I guess.

After reading this post I think you need a
Spyderco Respect Bowie :p
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
sal

Post by sal »

I still think it's an interesting discussion and a reasonable request. I'm checking now to see if there id anything in-the-works. If there is nothing happening with the model, I'll put in my pitch for your request, but things are so crazy now, I can't make any promises, especially on time.

I've got a few others going that are waiting on time. For Example, There was a request for a Damasteel UK, and the queue is too full right now to do it. I'm going to try to get a Damasteel Urban for now. We did manage to squeeze in JD's request for the Ayoob, sometimes we get lucky with a maker or a hole in the schedule.

We make a lot of new models and variations, better I think than most, but we are also a niche market that our customers look for new and variety.

sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It’s one of the few knives that have come out since I started collecting that I really regret missing. Generally I can console myself that something just as good is as close as the next reveal.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Sal, I have a huge respect and appreciation for how are you trying to accommodate wishes and ideas from your fan base.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:29 pm
Sal, I have a huge respect and appreciation for how are you trying to accommodate wishes and ideas from your fan base.
He really showed it with that reveal released today! It's going to be a good year for Spyderco :)

-Rick
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:56 pm
I still think it's an interesting discussion and a reasonable request. I'm checking now to see if there id anything in-the-works. If there is nothing happening with the model, I'll put in my pitch for your request, but things are so crazy now, I can't make any promises, especially on time.

I've got a few others going that are waiting on time. For Example, There was a request for a Damasteel UK, and the queue is too full right now to do it. I'm going to try to get a Damasteel Urban for now. We did manage to squeeze in JD's request for the Ayoob, sometimes we get lucky with a maker or a hole in the schedule.

We make a lot of new models and variations, better I think than most, but we are also a niche market that our customers look for new and variety.

sal

Thank you Sal, for this gracious and gentlemanly reply. As one of the multitude all over the internet asking for this, I could not be more happier. Please, may we request for a re-run of the Slysz Bowie...not a sprint, but a production run... hopefully with improvements like lockbar interface inserts to reduce wear.

One assurance in this request, like I have said over and over again all over these forums and some Facebook knife groups, is that there is an actual demand for this particular model, basing on how active the secondary market for this knife is.

And thank you also Sal, for once again without overtly saying it, showing how "shiny footprints" should be exercised in these forums. I have met owners/CEOs of far smaller companies who have characters that are so extremely opposite from how you conduct yourself, your class and character is on another level altogether and I am grateful for that.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Thanks Sal!
Hopefully we can get past the occasional bickering and stay happy in here. It’s better to be more uplifting and constructive than dismissive and rude.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Well, the Viele Phoenix just came back out of nowhere as a Sprint in Reveal 7. Hopefully the Slycz Bowie makes it back into regular production, given the huge demand for it.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:56 pm

sal
I had to double-check to see wether I was dreaming or not... Thanks a lot for taking the time and thanks for giving the Slysz Bowie cult some hope. You can't imagine how happy I am. There are two Spyderco knives I'm very passionate about, the Dragonfly 2 (your magnum opus imo) and the SB. From the design, to the action and the finish, Spyderco really surpassed themselves with the SB. A coworker lend me his for a week and I still think about it... I bought a techno 2 just to get a little of that feeling back.

I won't contradict you on new models and variations, but it's part of why I've been disappointed. Spyderco never hesitates to throw new concepts, to spend time designing new experiences, just in case something stick. The SB did stick from a design point of view, it's like the golden number of titanium Spyderco and yet, all that work, love and passion disappeard... From an artistic point of view, it's a net loss. The SB spirit still lives-on strong though, which makes it obvious there's something special about it. Some creations are just meant to transcend logic and hard datas, I think the SB is one of them.

There's a roughness about it, something that reasonate with our primal nature. From the texture of the titanium, to its Bowie hunter roots... It looks like an untamed Sebenza with your company own touch. Every design choices seems to have been made very carefully and yet, there's still something savage emanating from the SB. Even its little history screams revolt... The market initially ignored it, it created his own in reponse. It's a fantastic animal of a knife. Who wouldn't want that kind of beast by his side Sal ?

I'm not against refinements, but if everything happens I really hope the SB spirit stay intact, at least it's overall look, which is probably its main appeal with the fit and finish. I'm not against a change of blade steel or the removal of the backspacer though... :p

Thanks again Sal. Spyderco for life ;)