As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Re: As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Post by Candyman »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 am
Also keep in mind that doing another run might make many happy but it will also make many unhappy. Collectors are a big part of the market for these higher end knives so their wishes carry weight too. For this reason it would probably come back as a sprint with some changes to preserve the value of the originals.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.”
-John Lydgate
I couldn’t have said it any better.
100% right, you will have a whole other issue on your hands if you decided to bring back a discontinued knife that is as popular.

Sprint run would be the way to go as it would be a variant and still keep numbers low so that way the collectibility is still there on the original.

Rich
Think for yourself
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Increased demand and value for a discontinued item produced by a manufacturer of items that often sell extremely well during their production runs due to the perception of increased demand and value in the future - does not really seem like problem?

I think the balloon value of the C186Ti is a boost to Spyderco's reputation and probably would contribute to an increase in demand for current production items as speculation that they would greatly increase in value seems reasonable. I've never really considered the titanium framelock models since I'm a lefty but now I look a little closer myself.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Good night. Imagine paying $700 plus for a knife that sold for $300 When it was new just because some youtuber ranted and raved about it. I can’t help but think that the people selling them are the same people that payed a ridiculous amount of money for it, ood and awed over it for a week, then had incredible buyers remorse.

I remember when the bowie was discontinued and could have been had for $280. Boy am i having remorse from not buying a couple of those knowing the profit I would be making!

Btw, if you pay $700 for that knife, you deserve to eat that loss.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MotoBro, RAHCommanche,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I have a slightly different take on this, I think the current demand for the slyz bowie is a result of Spyderco offering so many desirable models at the same time. The Slyz Bowie is one that I, and alot of people I am guessing, wanted to buy but missed it. We just assumed, being such a great knife, that it would be available for a long time. I assume many like me, were allocating funds to knives we knew were limited like sprints or exclusives, but still planning on getting a Slyz Bowie. It never made it to the top of my buy list before it got discontinued. Being a more expensive model, the sales weren't there to justify continued production, and it got cut.

There is no way for a manufacturer to measure how many people are actively planning or saving to purchase something when they decide to cut production. And there is no way to judge how many people are going to actually plunk down the cash to buy a $300 dollar knife if it returns to production. A hundred high dollar sales on the secondary market does not guarantee enough sales to make a re-release a profitable endeavor.

Grizz
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Another Slysz Bowie just sold on reddit for $725 today. Almost all Bowies I've seen for sale so far since being in the active hunt for one last year, barring eBay prices have sold out. If that isn't a guarantee that this knife is in high demand then I don't know what is.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:41 am
Lets bring back all Spydercos with Ridiculous / Outrageous / Skyrocketing prices on the secondary markets so everyone is happy..

Spyderco Red 4V Shaman.. Spyderco Jade M4 Shaman..
One of each please. Where do I send my money.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I'm still at work (19 hours straight, barely slept) but I'll adress the concern regarding my tone and overall intent because I didn't want to come across as confrontational. I have nothing but huge respect for Sal, his vision and his work.

I'm disapponted by the dismissive nature of some comment though, especially coming from newcomers.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just for the record, there would be absolutely nothing stopping them from re running this model. It wasn't a Sprint or anything, so the "collectors" concerned about the value can kick rocks.

Now, I still am not interested in it, as it doesn't fit my hand. But, the argument about upsetting a few "collectors" over an investment risk, is laughable.

Honestly, I'd love for them to rerun it just to hear that bunch screech. Tears for my tea! :D :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:41 am
Just for the record, there would be absolutely nothing stopping them from re running this model. It wasn't a Sprint or anything, so the "collectors" concerned about the value can kick rocks.

Now, I still am not interested in it, as it doesn't fit my hand. But, the argument about upsetting a few "collectors" over an investment risk, is laughable.

Honestly, I'd love for them to rerun it just to hear that bunch screech. Tears for my tea! :D :p
Thats debatable but I think it's best that we just agree to disagree. I am glad that Spyderco has more integrity than that though. ;)
-Nick :bug-red
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

gdwtvb wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:56 pm
I have a slightly different take on this, I think the current demand for the slyz bowie is a result of Spyderco offering so many desirable models at the same time. The Slyz Bowie is one that I, and alot of people I am guessing, wanted to buy but missed it. We just assumed, being such a great knife, that it would be available for a long time. I assume many like me, were allocating funds to knives we knew were limited like sprints or exclusives, but still planning on getting a Slyz Bowie. It never made it to the top of my buy list before it got discontinued. Being a more expensive model, the sales weren't there to justify continued production, and it got cut.

There is no way for a manufacturer to measure how many people are actively planning or saving to purchase something when they decide to cut production. And there is no way to judge how many people are going to actually plunk down the cash to buy a $300 dollar knife if it returns to production. A hundred high dollar sales on the secondary market does not guarantee enough sales to make a re-release a profitable endeavor.

Grizz
I wonder about this. To my recollection the model hung around for a long time on closeout. Anyone who wanted one at the time had about 8-12 months from discontinuation to buy one for a fraction of the MSRP before it got hard to find. Secondhand they were selling for @$225-$250 for a while. Before Ti framelocks popped they just weren't that popular. The contemporary and similar Farid K2 wasn't moving much until the closeout price dropped below $150.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Can someone told me what is really that special about Slysz Bowie?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:06 am
Someone who reviews knives, by taking them out of the box and looking at them, said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I can't knock the quality, it's a great knife. But, the extreme front belly(not that big of an issue) and small grip area are what did it in for me.

If they made a sibling one in the 3.75" range, using the "Slysz Skinny" design that is floating around here, it would probably be among my favorites. I loved the contouring of the handles, the blade finish, the clip point Bowie and the wire clip.

Just make it with standoffs, rather than a backspacer and maybe LC200N or Vanax( ;) ). That would be a beauty of a knife!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:02 am
gdwtvb wrote:

Grizz
I wonder about this. To my recollection the model hung around for a long time on closeout. Anyone who wanted one at the time had about 8-12 months from discontinuation to buy one for a fraction of the MSRP before it got hard to find. Secondhand they were selling for @$225-$250 for a while. Before Ti framelocks popped they just weren't that popular. The contemporary and similar Farid K2 wasn't moving much until the closeout price dropped below $150.

Yeah I think I agree with you here that it didn't seem like very many people wanted it until it wasn't available anymore and FOMO hit in. I remember people constantly complaining about the price at $300 new for one. I managed to get a used one for about $200 before it was discontinued and sold it right away, I didn't think the price was worth it (for me). If I could buy one for $200 now I'd consider it, but I still think $300 is more than I'd want to spend on one. And if they re-released it now it would certainly be more than it's price from several years ago. And it would seemingly sell looking at the crazy price they sell for now on the secondary market. It's fascinating how discontinuing a knife can really generate interest in it!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:54 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Thats debatable but I think it's best that we just agree to disagree. I am glad that Spyderco has more integrity than that though. ;)
Their integrity comes from keeping their word. Like, not doing another run of a Sprint knife. Because they are specifically sold as one and done runs. Like, standing behind their products, even ones that were sold decades ago.

A discontinued item being brought back for a limited time, due to market demand? I think that's 100% fine and they would be justified if they chose to do so.

Now, I'm not saying they will, just that they could. Discontinued designs don't automatically get sent to the gulag.

But, I suppose we can disagree if we must, Vlad. :p

-Thomas Jefferson
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:11 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Their integrity comes from keeping their word. Like, not doing another run of a Sprint knife. Because they are specifically sold as one and done runs. Like, standing behind their products, even ones that were sold decades ago.

A discontinued item being brought back for a limited time, due to market demand? I think that's 100% fine and they would be justified if they chose to do so.

Now, I'm not saying they will, just that they could. Discontinued designs don't automatically get sent to the gulag.

Exactly why I figured we should just agree to disagree. The petty name calling was unnecessary.

I think you might benefit from reading this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093
-Nick :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:11 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Exactly why I figured we should just agree to disagree. The petty name calling was unnecessary.

I think you might benefit from reading this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093
Take it easy, coach!

Was it petty name calling or an innocent gulag joke?

I'm going to go with the latter and extra emotes for good measure. :rolleyes: :cool: :p :D

-Thomas Jefferson
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:18 pm
To me personally, the choice of words is not ideal if your goal is to respectfully request the return of a model that had its day. That is also probably why you were immediately met with such dismissiveness.
My advice would be to take a look at the similar threads like the C-60 Ayoob campaign, which successfully saw the return of their respective models.

Sincerely, how is any of this a “Stain on the company’s reputation”? The Delica not being updated beyond a fourth generation, the very subjective preference for deep carry pocket clips (which do exist?), or that the discontinuation of the Slysz Bowie is a “problem”?

Spyderco works with the designer a lot. To me, coming out with other knives from Marcin Slysz is the opposite of ignoring demand for their designs.
I’ll respect your opinion on the looks of the Swayback.

Have you considered that the “scalpers”, aren’t really, in this case? The knife, just like any vintage car, is a rare model that has only gone up in value since its release. I don’t really think people selling the knife for what the market has determined it is now worth entails the same “shameless” mindset as those who immediately buy up more than their share of sprint runs to sell at inflated prices the same/next day.

All of that aside, more Slysz designs are always welcome by me, Bowie’s or not.
Regarding the deep carry problem : I live in Europe (big land) and we don't have access to all those third-party clip makers you have in the US. If you a want to a deep carry clip for Spyderco knives in Europe, you're kind of screwed, unless you want to pay a spicy price to import it from the US. Same about Spyderco clips in general. Some black painted clips for the PM2 are out of stock for maybe two years in most online shop. I've tried to ask Spyderco about it a year ago on two occasions and I've never received an answer. The lack of an upgrade of the Delica 4 isn't as problematic, but it's another subject, more of a personal pet peeves of mine I admit. :D

Regarding the second part of your post : Nah, scalpers are scalpers, don't find them excuses. Bunch of people rushed to buy the knife at any online retailers as soon as it got discontinued. People have a bad memory about it, the price went up immediately after that. People overestimate Shabazz impact on the market. That's the whole problem to me and why I took it at heart, Spyderco seemingly letting scalpers get away with it by not re-releasing the knife while it could be solved by just saying the knife is coming back. One word from the company and you solve one of the biggest scalpers problems in the knife world from recent memory.
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:41 am
Can't limit this to just one knife to make just one person happy..

Lets bring back all Spydercos with Ridiculous / Outrageous / Skyrocketing prices on the secondary markets so everyone is happy..

Spyderco Tuff.. Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1(getting up there).. Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air.. Spyderco Burch Chubby.. Spyderco Sage 2.. Spyderco Sage 3.. Spydeco Sage 4.. Spyderco Red 4V Shaman.. Spyderco Jade M4 Shaman.. Rivers Edge Cutlery CTS 204P Para 3(seriously..$500 for a Para 3??).. Spyderco 10V K2.. Spyderco Rubicon(Seen the prices on those lately?).. Spyderco Mamba.. Spyderco C67P R.. Spyderco Southard.. Spyderco Laci Szabo.. Spyderco Euroedge.. Spyderco Tighe Stick.. Spyderco Ulize.. Spyderco Rock lobster

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one..
Seeing one inflated offer doesn't make a phenomenon lad. The Slysz Bowie situation is pretty much unique from recent memory. One grand offers that last one week at best and people going at it for months, if not a year and a half, with value doubling in less than 6 months ? Never saw that with any other knives.
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm
Pancake wrote:
Someone who reviews knives, by taking them out of the box and looking at them, said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
The world is bigger than the US and so is the Slyzc Bowie craze. People in Europe, where I live, don't give a single **** about Shabazz's opinions and SB are still selling for close to one grand as we speak, selling in a bunch of days.

One example :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/RARE-Spyderco-S ... SwF0lfTrBn

You think a lad living in Ukraine is a daily Shabazz watcher ? I have my doubts. Last week it was someone from Paris on Ebay, selling it for 680 euros (950 dollars sold in 4 days top).

I'm knee-deep into the knife community in my country, never saw one guy mentioning Shabazz, yet the SB is well liked and kind of graal for most. Same about european hunters I know, I can't imagine one listening to an office warrior like Shabazz about what knives they should carry. As an european myself, I don't share most Shabazz opinions. I've eyed a Slysz Bowie the first time I saw it though.

We agree on the standoffs. Another argument for a Slysz Bowie comeback. :cool:
gdwtvb wrote:

Grizz
That's exactly me. I wasn't in the best financial spot, barely managed to save up for one expansive knife after months. I had to chose between the Nirvana and the Bowie. Chose the Nirvana because I assumed the Bowie would be up forever in Spyderco lineup. I like my Nirvana but... yeah. I understand the knife didn't catch up, but not giving it a second life ?
Mushroom wrote: Thats debatable but I think it's best that we just agree to disagree. I am glad that Spyderco has more integrity than that though. ;)
If Spyderco re-release the Bowie, collectors can keep their Bowie, while a bunch others people can enjoy it too. I'm not sure what's the problem here ? People collecting knives for the financial value they hold ? Yeah, let's prevent a bunch of people from enjoying a very good knife just so a tiny greedy minority can rave at the financial value their collections hold.
Pancake wrote:
It's a very good looking knife for a bunch of people. The finish on the titanium handle is a sight to behold, it has a "rough" kind of finish I've rarely seen on that type of knife.

Some knife enthusiasts don't understand that a very good looking design can take you very far in the knife world, it's not just about muh tactical practicality. In fact, the Slysz Bowie is one of the rare Spyderco knife designed without a particular purpose in mind, unlike the Military (military), the Delica (EDC) or the Chief (cooking), that alone makes it special among Spyderco offering.

Add to that Taishung fit and finish, Spyderco ergo, framelock, a Spydie hole and you have a very popular knife for a bunch of people. I have the Nirvana, I like it but I understand why people don't rave about it. The finish is off (bad lockstick on every one I tested, including my own), grey handle/grey blade, too murdery looking, white lines on the titanium that caused a price spike, S90V which is notorious for being hard to sharpen... Problems the Slysz Bowie don't have.

I understand some 'few) dissenting voices not connecting with the knife, but trying to paint it as an over-hyped piece of metal is just trying to be edgy or not understanding the market as a whole. I've never connected with Sebenza myself, but I perfectly understand why the majority does. In the reality we live in, the SB is a special knife in Spyderco offering. Even if you want to hand-wave its qualities, its short history alone makes it a very special knife. Like I said, from recent memory it never happened to this degree.
Last edited by Xformer on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

ffrt
Last edited by Philo Beddoe on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.