As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bile Bob

Re: As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowie problem.

Post by Bile Bob »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:56 pm
I still think it's an interesting discussion and a reasonable request.
Would a rerun of the Rock Lobster and Tuff be a reasonable request? Thanks.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:30 pm
Even its little history screams revolt... The market initially ignored it, it created his own in reponse. It's a fantastic animal of a knife. Who wouldn't want that kind of beast by his side Sal ?

I'm not against refinements, but if everything happens I really hope the SB spirit stay intact, at least it's overall look, which is probably its main appeal with the fit and finish. I'm not against a change of blade steel or the removal of the backspacer though... :p

Thanks again Sal. Spyderco for life ;)

Well...that was extremely well articulated actually, and no truer statement that I could agree with. I don't think any other premium knife from Spyderco's past inventory has reached this level of market notoriety (I do not include the REC dealer exclusives in this regard due to their status as limited runs, and just because I find it extremely stupid, even as a collector, to have to pay $300 upwards for knives that initially costs $150-170).

I'd definitely would like to have a steel insert for the lockbar though like the Swayback to protect against lockstick and wear.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 am
Chapp wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:30 pm
Even its little history screams revolt... The market initially ignored it, it created his own in reponse. It's a fantastic animal of a knife. Who wouldn't want that kind of beast by his side Sal ?

I'm not against refinements, but if everything happens I really hope the SB spirit stay intact, at least it's overall look, which is probably its main appeal with the fit and finish. I'm not against a change of blade steel or the removal of the backspacer though... :p

Thanks again Sal. Spyderco for life ;)

Well...that was extremely well articulated actually, and no truer statement that I could agree with. I don't think any other premium knife from Spyderco's past inventory has reached this level of market notoriety (I do not include the REC dealer exclusives in this regard due to their status as limited runs, and just because I find it extremely stupid, even as a collector, to have to pay $300 upwards for knives that initially costs $150-170).

I'd definitely would like to have a steel insert for the lockbar though like the Swayback to protect against lockstick and wear.

Thanks, it was difficult to pull off because english isn't my main language and I have a little injury on my shoulder, I can't stay in front of my computer for a longtime or even use my smartphone too much. I'm happy I got my point across. ;)

Like I said, I'm all for little refinements here and there, even if I'm a big fan of the initial design. A steel insert and the removal of the backspacer seems like a given. The steel insert happened on the Swayback and the Techno 2 got his backspacer replaced, which makes it better looking in my opinion.

If I can suggest one other tiny little change, it's the possibility to flick it from both side. As a right handed person, I remember being able to do it with the thumb, but flicking it from the other side (middle and index finger) was very hard, even with my rather standard hands and finger width. I just need something like a tiny bit of space for my finger on the lockbar. I don't know how that could be done given the lockbar design, but that would be cool.
Last edited by Xformer on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If the Bowie isn't coming back, just get you a nice Sebenza, get the hole mod if you prefer it to thumb studs, call it a day and thank me later!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:57 pm
If the Bowie isn't coming back, just get you a nice Sebenza, get the hole mod if you prefer it to thumb studs, call it a day and thank me later!
Spot on!
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:57 pm
I don't have a crystal ball, but I can feel it's coming back.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

The very first time I knew about the Spyderco / Slysz Bowie I realized it’d belong in the Modern Cutlery Olimpus like forever :rolleyes:

So what I did? Got myself a couple of them! :D And certainly will never let’em go.

Don’t know if the Slysz Bowie will ever come back, but I’ll be really happy to see a new Spyderco / Slysz Collaboration anytime soon :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Didn't buy it when it came out and wouldn't buy it at the increased cost it would have to be at now. Just not my thing. I've paid over a thousand dollars for folders in the past and not one of the very expensive knives I've had would outperform my low cost Endura with K390. Not in any kind of way I use knives anyhow. Looks are great but I'll take performance anyday.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Maybe some others can make it back.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:56 pm
I still think it's an interesting discussion and a reasonable request. I'm checking now to see if there id anything in-the-works. If there is nothing happening with the model, I'll put in my pitch for your request, but things are so crazy now, I can't make any promises, especially on time.

I've got a few others going that are waiting on time. For Example, There was a request for a Damasteel UK, and the queue is too full right now to do it. I'm going to try to get a Damasteel Urban for now. We did manage to squeeze in JD's request for the Ayoob, sometimes we get lucky with a maker or a hole in the schedule.

We make a lot of new models and variations, better I think than most, but we are also a niche market that our customers look for new and variety.

sal
Agreed! Might I suggest the Slysz Rat ;)
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chapp,

In speaking with Eric, he said that to put a Bowie in queue, you wouldn't see it until 2023. I inquired about possible Exclusives before then. Can't say much more than be patient.

sal
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

"This is not a 400 dollar knife!" - Nick Shabazz

https://youtu.be/eP_64k1tdkY

Just make a Slysz Bowie 2 in a slightly better steel with a hardened steel lockbar insert for an appropriate $350 and all this madness of greed and idiocy will resolve itself.
notorious fidgeteer
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:31 pm
Hi Chapp,

In speaking with Eric, he said that to put a Bowie in queue, you wouldn't see it until 2023. I inquired about possible Exclusives before then. Can't say much more than be patient.

sal

Please Sal and Eric, hoping (and praying) that it will be put into queue for production. We can be patient as long as there is a confirmation that it will be back. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:05 pm
"This is not a 400 dollar knife!" - Nick Shabazz

https://youtu.be/eP_64k1tdkY

Just make a Slysz Bowie 2 in a slightly better steel with a hardened steel lockbar insert for an appropriate $350 and all this madness of greed and idiocy will resolve itself.
The original sold for $300. Before a MAP increase and a couple MSRP increases. You want them to add a lock bar and upgrade the steel and have the price only increase $50 3+ years after it was discontinued? I highly doubt that's realistic..

Pretty cool that sal responded here and this may actually get released again, though! One of the many reasons Spyderco is my favorite knife maker!
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 pm
Please Sal and Eric, hoping (and praying) that it will be put into queue for production. We can be patient as long as there is a confirmation that it will be back. :D
In 2023 the hip new thing will be folders with solid carbide TiAlN-coated blades and graphene-impregnated scales. Cutting anything with them will void the warranty, as they will be solely-designed for flipping open and closed when fidgeting. We'll have moved from double-reverse tanto blades to triple-dog-dare-upside-down tanto blades. The only titanium involved will be the screws if you choose the plebian budget hardware package; for a mere $300 extra you can get full platinum screws, and they will be T30 sized and damascus (plat-mascus?). The pivots will run on oversized and tapered silicon nitride roller bearings to ensure a reasonable service life of 8,000 years of regular use. They will weigh a mere 60oz, competitive with most splitting mauls. Financing will be easy, with loan packages available through the major mortgage lenders.

All of this is to say, getting a Slysz Bowie at that point should be pretty easy.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think this thread might deserve a name change (maybe?), now it’s been addressed and no longer so sad for those who wanted one but missed out the first time around, because there is hope for them.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 pm

The original sold for $300. Before a MAP increase and a couple MSRP increases. You want them to add a lock bar and upgrade the steel and have the price only increase $50 3+ years after it was discontinued? I highly doubt that's realistic..

Pretty cool that sal responded here and this may actually get released again, though! One of the many reasons Spyderco is my favorite knife maker!

Well, the Swayback has a hardened lock bar insert and sells for $270, so... that's real.
There's no reason why any "new" Slysz/Spyderco releases shouldn't get that upgrade with/o milking the customer right away.

And let's be honest, the insert is a welcome upgrade since most Spyderco Slysz knives tend to come with lock stick and an unsettling late lock up for a new knife...
notorious fidgeteer
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:31 pm
Hi Chapp,

sal
Thanks you so much for taking the time.

Being patient isn't a problem, passion eats time like a white chocolate bar. I'm sure production timing will get better and we might see the SB comeback sooner. I can feel it. Stuff will get resolved.

I'm still a bit disappointed, but not because of Spyderco. The reason is I heard and read rumours about the SB coming back some weeks ago and your post made me realize that it was just hearsay and playground Pokemon rumours I shouldn't have paid attention too.

2023 is a long way to go... Judging by 2020, I just hope we'll all be well and safe by then. I'm crossing my fingers hard and will keep believing until then.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Chapp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:32 am
Thanks you so much for taking the time.

Being patient isn't a problem, passion eats time like a white chocolate bar. I'm sure production timing will get better and we might see the SB comeback sooner. I can feel it. Stuff will get resolved.

Once again, nice, eloquent words.

Chapp wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:32 am
2023 is a long way to go... Judging by 2020, I just hope we'll all be well and safe by then. I'm crossing my fingers hard and will keep believing until then.

You and me both, buddy.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 pm
In 2023 the hip new thing will be folders with solid carbide TiAlN-coated blades and graphene-impregnated scales. Cutting anything with them will void the warranty, as they will be solely-designed for flipping open and closed when fidgeting. We'll have moved from double-reverse tanto blades to triple-dog-dare-upside-down tanto blades. The only titanium involved will be the screws if you choose the plebian budget hardware package; for a mere $300 extra you can get full platinum screws, and they will be T30 sized and damascus (plat-mascus?). The pivots will run on oversized and tapered silicon nitride roller bearings to ensure a reasonable service life of 8,000 years of regular use. They will weigh a mere 60oz, competitive with most splitting mauls. Financing will be easy, with loan packages available through the major mortgage lenders.

All of this is to say, getting a Slysz Bowie at that point should be pretty easy.
Haha, thanks for that! :) I tend to agree that for knives that will not get used beyond fidgeting and the occasional letter opening, they sure are over built.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001