Polestar/Alcyone still "just" in BD1 (without "N")?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Polestar/Alcyone still "just" in BD1 (without "N")?

Post by Wartstein »

Just browsed through the new product guide, and realized that the Polestar and Alcyone still were not "upgraded" to BD1N, but still come "just" in BD1.
These two are such great designs and would deserve more attention. Switching to the for me better BD1N perhaps could give the models a "boost", the Polestar could really be a PM2 alternative, the Alcyone a Para 3 alternative for those who prefer linerlock and more edge instead of comp.lock and a choil.

Don´t know why Spyderco sticks with BD1? Perhaps there are many pieces left in this steel that have to be sold first? Or there is a lot of this steel left that has to be used up?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Re: Polestar/Alcyone still "just" in BD1 (without "N")?

Post by Notsurewhy »

Pretty sure Sal said they weren't planning on upgrading the steel on those models.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:55 am
Pretty sure Sal said they weren't planning on upgrading the steel on those models.

That´s sad. I´d get a Polestar if it got the "N" added...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sadly, most people wouldn't. They look at the price, look at the knife, see made in china, and buy the tenacious instead
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I think that slow sales of the original versions and the shipping steel to China part of the cost equation are probably the limiting factors.
The Rock/Leaf Jumper may ultimately fill this niche as the handle ergonomics look similar.
Although they are backlocks.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm guessing slow sales are responsible. These 2 were always somewhat expensive for value models and the intended market. I've got both as seconds and like them.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

This maker was the first one in the area to try to use the steel and did a good job. Better than the 8Cr we were using. Sales are slower than we'd planned and we believe it's because of the higher cost, due to the steel. When inventory is depleted and if we decide to do another run, we'll probably upgrade to BD1N and change the color, which might be another reason for slow sales. I had hoped this would be a good blade set for the Scouts, but it didn't seem to work. :o

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:33 pm
Hi Warstein,

This maker was the first one in the area to try to use the steel and did a good job. Better than the 8Cr we were using. Sales are slower than we'd planned and we believe it's because of the higher cost, due to the steel. When inventory is depleted and if we decide to do another run, we'll probably upgrade to BD1N and change the color, which might be another reason for slow sales. I had hoped this would be a good blade set for the Scouts, but it didn't seem to work. :o

sal

Thanks for the reply, Sal!

It´s a shame that these models don´t sell well, their design language is really beautiful and elegant, but they still have a sturdy, trusty and "workhorsy" look. And for me the color and texture of the handle actually is one of several elements contributing to that.
But probably, as Garageboy and aranae pointed out, people who are looking for a more value line, China made Spyderco go rather to the cheaper Tenacious, which can also be had in more variants (PE, SE, CE, G10, FRN). And they won´t care much if the steel is 8CR, BD1, or BD1N.

Honestly, I think a radical change and switch the Polestar / Acyone with the exact same look to Golden made models with an upgraded steel (and of course a higher price) would give them a better chance! I think their beautiful designs are more for people who are ready to pay a bit more for a folder, and could be a great alternative for those among us, who value the good, old linerlock and a generous, neutral handle but no choil.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For those who might never had a look at these beautiful models: Here is a the depiction of the polestar from the Spyderco site (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C220GGY/1023):

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sal, are there any specific features that scouts look for in a knife?
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

In addition to the Tenacious, the Polestar also has "in house" competition from the Byrd Raven 2.

There are some differences: The Byrd has a choil, teflon washers, black G10, slightly thicker blade stock, and weighs a little more.

But the overall design is very similar. And they both use BD1 steel, so if you just want the upgrade from 8cr, the Byrd will provide that for less money.

A while back I was looking for a relatively inexpensive "work knife" to use in the garage, in the yard, etc. I looked at the Polestar (and the Tenacious), but ended up getting the Byrd. Partially this was because I like having a choil, but the lower cost was definitely a factor too.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Bd1n would push me over the edge. My only other hesitation is I heard the detents are a bit soft. Fix that and I'm all in.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

I designed a lock-back Polestar with a "handle forward" design for the Golden factory about a year or so ago, but we're so backed up in Golden,we put it on hold.

Hi GaraageBoy,

I thought they did and I thought that the Polestar and Alcyone had them, but alas, no cigar.

Hey Rangefinder,

It was because of the quality the maker put into the Raven that I decided to use him to make the Polestar and Alcyone.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:37 pm
Hi Warstein,

I designed a lock-back Polestar with a "handle forward" design for the Golden factory about a year or so ago, but we're so backed up in Golden,we put it on hold.
Hi Sal,

A Golden made Polestar, but with a backlock honestly sounds like a dream coming true! :)

I hope it will still become reality eventually.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Honestly those who haven't given the Alcyone/polestar a try are missing out. My entry into Spyerco's was the efficicient which lead to the Byrd Crow and the Alcyone and Polestar which lead to ...... oh yeah many many many spydercos. The quality of the Alcyone/Polestars is really exceptional.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Bump up

Any idea about the geometry of the polestar vs the Byrd raven2 , I like the price of both and have carried a delica g-2 steel since 199? , and since BD1 is = G-2 and is superior to 8cr
It’s got my eye on it for truck and gift knives
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi S-3 ranch,

The lack of success for the Polestar / Alcyone has been a puzzle for years. We're currently planning on a color change for the G-10. I'm working on a possible steel change

sal
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

sal wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:05 pm
Hi S-3 ranch,

The lack of success for the Polestar / Alcyone has been a puzzle for years. We're currently planning on a color change for the G-10. I'm working on a possible steel change

sal
My personal preference is frn over G-10 scale if G-10 is a $$ variable

IMO maybe the lack of popularity is the weight of G-10 scales , I think it adds 1 oz per knife???
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Sun May 09, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:05 pm
Hi S-3 ranch,

sal
Hi Sal,

is the Golden made "handle forward" lockback Polestar still likely to come out eventually?
Would be a great model... but perhaps very close to the Leaf Jumper?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

They are both really great looking designs, I've never handled a budget Spydie before, I've definitely recommended them though.
So it goes.