Polestar/Alcyone still "just" in BD1 (without "N")?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Polestar/Alcyone still "just" in BD1 (without "N")?

Post by Bemo »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:23 pm
Bump up

Any idea about the geometry of the polestar vs the Byrd raven2 , I like the price of both and have carried a delica g-2 steel since 199? , and since BD1 is = G-2 and is superior to 8cr
It’s got my eye on it for truck and gift knives
Hey there S-3, I got the calipers out and the Raven is .15 at it's thickest and the Polestar is .12 inch at it's thickest; these measurements are before the beginning of the step down for the flat grind on the spine. It doesn't measure out much different but I think the Raven's blade visually looks thicker than that. The designs share much in common and both are good stout hardworking knives.

I know when the Polestar was released many folks didn't like the G10 color/pattern. I actually really like it.
sal

Post by sal »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 pm
sal wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:05 pm
Hi S-3 ranch,

The lack of success for the Polestar / Alcyone has been a puzzle for years. We're currently planning on a color change for the G-10. I'm working on a possible steel change

sal
Hi Sal,

is the Golden made "handle forward" lockback Polestar still likely to come out eventually?
Would be a great model... but perhaps very close to the Leaf Jumper?

Hi Warstein,

I've modified the original design a bit, and yes it is very similar to the "Rock Jumper". The difference being made in Golden. But to be honest, I'm still watching the results of the "Rock Jumper and the upcoming "Leaf Jumper" to evaluae the "Handle forward" response before moving on more variations of the concept.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I'm looking forward to more handle forward folders. Whether or not any edge length is gained, I like the concept more than the 50/50 choil on larger knives. I think the 50/50 choil has its place on smaller knives, but favor the handle forward concept on larger knives.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 12:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:56 pm
sal wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:05 pm
Hi Sal,

is the Golden made "handle forward" lockback Polestar still likely to come out eventually?
Would be a great model... but perhaps very close to the Leaf Jumper?

Hi Warstein,

I've modified the original design a bit, and yes it is very similar to the "Rock Jumper". The difference being made in Golden. But to be honest, I'm still watching the results of the "Rock Jumper and the upcoming "Leaf Jumper" to evaluae the "Handle forward" response before moving on more variations of the concept.

sal
Hi Sal,

sounds good and would be great if "handle forward" lockback knives came also from Golden and not "just" Japan!
Let´s hope Rock- and Leafjumper will be successes and US made handle forward designs will follow! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)