Black Comprehension lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Username827

Black Comprehension lock

Post by Username827 »

So, I was dorking out, or researching, the new catalog and saw that the comprehension locks of the Para 3's, Paramilitary 2's and Shamans were all blacked out on the blades that had DLC. Like the Yojimbo last year. Is this confirmed or an error?
Mainly, do I go buy some more Para 3's and Paramilitary 2's. The Shamans I have will keep my covered for a lifetime lol
Attachments
Screenshot_20210113-234618_Chrome.jpg
Abyss_Fish

Re: Black Comprehension lock

Post by Abyss_Fish »

The digi-camo para 3’s got cqi coated liners. It would be nice if it spread to the rest of the lineup.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A comprehension lock? Is that like having a mental block -- something you get in the middle of an exam?
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I'd pay handsomely for a comprehension lock ;)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

My comprehension was locked for this post.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The change to black liners on black-bladed knives with COMPRESSION Locks is what we call a rolling change. It is being phased into production as each individual model comes up for a new production run. The next question most people will ask will be, "When can I get a ________ with black liners?" The honest answer is, it depends on the exact model, our current stock, how many of the older version dealers and distributors currently have on their shelves, and similar factors.

The good news is the change is official and will apply to all full-line, black-bladed Compression Lock knives moving forward. That's why all the photos in the catalog were updated to reflect it.

Stay safe,

Mike
vivi

Post by vivi »

This is excellent news. I'm glad Spyderco is planning to offer more models with coated liners.
:unicorn
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Lol, that is what I get for not proof reading.
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:44 am
Hey, All:

The change to black liners on black-bladed knives with COMPRESSION Locks is what we call a rolling change. It is being phased into production as each individual model comes up for a new production run. The next question most people will ask will be, "When can I get a ________ with black liners?" The honest answer is, it depends on the exact model, our current stock, how many of the older version dealers and distributors currently have on their shelves, and similar factors.

The good news is the change is official and will apply to all full-line, black-bladed Compression Lock knives moving forward. That's why all the photos in the catalog were updated to reflect it.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you for your answers Mike.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 am
This is excellent news. I'm glad Spyderco is planning to offer more models with coated liners.

I agree. I have been asking this for a long time. Maybe they got sick of me whining about it every time a DLC exclusive came out. :D I wish this would have been implemented prior to the DLT Cru-ple PM2 and Para 3! Hopefully DLT will do a Millie with the new black liners.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm hoping this happens for the Military too. It would be awesome swapping something like an M4/Rex45/52100 blade into a completely DLC'd frame.
:unicorn
araneae

Post by araneae »

Michael Janich wrote:
Hey, All:

Stay safe,

Mike
A comprehensive answer.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

A blacked out Sage 5 would get my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

If Spyderco was to make a comprehension lock, may I suggest 'Me no comprehende' as the name for it.
Last edited by Salty Dog on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Michael Janich wrote:
Hey, All:

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike, great news, thanks, love a blacked out knife.
Seems to be a shortage of para 3 blacked out g10 models in Australia, for a fair price, and spydercos in general.
Has there been a shortage of exports numbers coming to Oz because of covid?
A authorised dealer told me its been hard to get a lot of models here for a while.
Can we expect this to change anytime soon?
Are we in a scenario where America gets priority over overseas stock?
No problems here because that's what id expect, being American made your US customers there are first priority, and so they should be, just wondering about the dynamics.
Thanks Mike.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

To one way of thinking, a DLC-coated compression lock is a precursor to a thin framelock (compression or liner lock) with a DLC’d stainless frame.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This is a welcome change!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:26 pm
I'm hoping this happens for the Military too. It would be awesome swapping something like an M4/Rex45/52100 blade into a completely DLC'd frame.
All of a sudden I'm glad no one has done a DLC REX45 or K390 PM2 to date (likewise on the Military), leaving it open to the new coated liners.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Question : would a blacked out compression lock be more prone to lock sticking?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Comprehension lock
Back ache lock
Air liner lock
Picture frame lock
Stop and go lock
Slip sliding joint
Ball and chain bearing lock
Scotch joint
Diction folder