SpyOpera - CQI?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

SpyOpera - CQI?

Post by nerdlock »

Hey everyone,

Browsed through the digital pages of the latest catalog and saw some good improvements, like the S45VN for the Para 3 and PM2 family. This is definitely a step in the right direction and I'm hoping that eventually all mainline production models like the Manix and the Military will upgrade into this steel.

What made me more curious, and excited however, is this:

Anyone notice something different?

The SpyOpera now has clip attachment grooves on the left side scale face. Excellent!

This was my main gripe against the SpyOpera when it was first released, I couldn't imagine why release an ambidextrous backlock knife with only one clip option.

But another curious thing caught my attention: if you actually read the text near the end, it says "...right side, tip up carry".

I'm confused...Sal, Mike, could you fine gentlemen clarify this?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Pancake

Re: SpyOpera - CQI?

Post by Pancake »

Good catch.
I heard that some folks dont like the fact that knife with ambi lock didnt have ambi clip. To me, this CQI makes perfect sense.
I think the product descripcion could be just pasted from last year, but the info was updated.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:03 am
Good catch.
I heard that some folks dont like the fact that knife with ambi lock didnt have ambi clip. To me, this CQI makes perfect sense.
I think the product descripcion could be just pasted from last year, but the info was updated.
As a leftie, that was my main concern too...I just hope that was just like you said, a typo or text copy error. This is too classy a knife to be limited to righthand carry only. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Glad it will make some folks happy. As for me, I never use the clip anyway, so I solved that problem the way I usually do, by taking the **** thing off.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Good catch! That would make me buy a new SpyOpera, so I can set up the clip 'properly' ;).
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The current production of the SpyOpera does in fact have a reversible clip. We made the change in the tech specs at the top of the page, but missed it in the copy. I apologize for the oversight, but after power proofing 200+ pages of catalog through four rounds of edits, I'm still trying to uncross my eyes...

Stay safe,

Mike
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I never noticed that mine only had the capability to carry it one way. I'm glad they decided to go ahead and make he change
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
brancron

Post by brancron »

I know it’s a slap in the face to lefties, but I greatly prefer knives that are drilled for right-hand (and preferably tip up) carry only. It’s purely aesthetic of course, but to me that matters.

However, since I’ve already got a SpyOpera from the first run, no harm no foul!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

brancron wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 am
I know it’s a slap in the face to lefties, but I greatly prefer knives that are drilled for right-hand (and preferably tip up) carry only. It’s purely aesthetic of course, but to me that matters.

However, since I’ve already got a SpyOpera from the first run, no harm no foul!
I agree totally and am pleased that the original version didn’t have the clip channel cut out. The knife that most recently bugs me the most with its set of leftie clip screw holes, but no real way a leftie can use the darn knife, is the Swayback!! With the lockbar basically completely covering the Spyderhole, there’s just no access from that side, so why the clip holes?!? Sorry, had to say it... ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am
....The knife that most recently bugs me the most with its set of leftie clip screw holes, but no real way a leftie can use the darn knife, is the Swayback!! With the lockbar basically completely covering the Spyderhole, there’s just no access from that side, so why the clip holes?!? Sorry, had to say it... ;)
I noticed that when I first got my Swayback. It is a little peculiar. It's set up for cross draw :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 am
The current production of the SpyOpera does in fact have a reversible clip. We made the change in the tech specs at the top of the page, but missed it in the copy. I apologize for the oversight, but after power proofing 200+ pages of catalog through four rounds of edits, I'm still trying to uncross my eyes...

Stay safe,

Mike

Thank you for responding and clarifying Mike! No harm no foul there, good work on releasing the catalog just in time as the new year starts. :D The important thing is you guys up there made this knife fully ambidextrous as it should be. :)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am
I agree totally and am pleased that the original version didn’t have the clip channel cut out. The knife that most recently bugs me the most with its set of leftie clip screw holes, but no real way a leftie can use the darn knife, is the Swayback!! With the lockbar basically completely covering the Spyderhole, there’s just no access from that side, so why the clip holes?!? Sorry, had to say it... ;)
I know of some lefties who switch the clips on knives like the SwayBack to left-side carry and "Spydie Flick" them open with their middle fingers. It doesn't work for everything, but it is a potential solution.

Since I write most of the copy for our knives, I try to include key terms that reflect the level of ambidexterity of different knife designs. If you want lefty friendly, look for the term "fully accessible Trademark Round Hole." If you find that term with a knife that has a back lock, Ball Bearing Lock, or Stop Lock, you'll usually find the term "ambidextrous" somewhere in the copy too.

Stay safe,

Mike
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 am
I know of some lefties who switch the clips on knives like the SwayBack to left-side carry and "Spydie Flick" them open with their middle fingers. It doesn't work for everything, but it is a potential solution.

Since I write most of the copy for our knives, I try to include key terms that reflect the level of ambidexterity of different knife designs. If you want lefty friendly, look for the term "fully accessible Trademark Round Hole." If you find that term with a knife that has a back lock, Ball Bearing Lock, or Stop Lock, you'll usually find the term "ambidextrous" somewhere in the copy too.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the response. It’s no skin off my teeth since I’m a righty. My comment is more about the disruption of the clean flow of the Swayback’s presentation side scale with those screw holes that only a small proportion of folks will use. I understand lefties can operate the knife, but I imagine a good number of them are turned off to that model by their inability to open it the traditional way with their thumb. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Actually as a leftie I find all Slysz designs to be perfect for spydie flicking , especially the Swayback :D :https://imgur.com/gallery/1Mcg1Uj
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 am
Actually as a leftie I find all Slysz designs to be perfect for spydie flicking , especially the Swayback :D :https://imgur.com/gallery/1Mcg1Uj
As a rightie, it appears that the lock bar one the Swayback obscures the hole significantly more than on the SpydieChef thus preventing a rightie spydie flick. The SpydieChef, however, has enough access to make it the smoothest and most easily Spydie flickable knife I own. Still thinking about getting a Swayback, tho. If they altered the aesthetics of the clip, I'd probably pull the trigger.