Past Spyderco Collaborators You Would Like To See Again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Past Spyderco Collaborators You Would Like To See Again?

Post by JD Spydo »

One of the sideline features that really drew me to Spyderco all the way back to the mid 90s were many of their great collaborations with some of the best knife designers at the time. Names like Bob Lum, JD Smith, Frank Centofante, Jason Breeden>> you get the drift I'm sure ;)

Just recently myself and a few of my best Spyder-Buddies petitioned the General ( Sal Glesser) to bring back the C-60 Massad Ayoob model. And I'm very proud to say that campaign turned into a success and we are about to see a new Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model which I know many are looking forward to. Obviously that was #1 on my list of favorite knife design collaborators.

But I've also been thinking about all the other great designers that have collaborated with Spyderco in the past few years. Some of the more recent designers like Marcin Slysz for instance has been coming up in conversation a lot lately. So who are some of the past collaborators that you all would like to see return to do another project with Spyderco? Myself I would love to see what else that JD Smith might have up his sleeve.

So if you were in Mr. Glesser's office and he were to ask you that question which collaboration/model would you like to see return? Or which collaboration designer would you like to see hook up with Spyderco again with one of their newer designs? OK let's get started :)
brj

Re: Past Spyderco Collaborators You Would Like To See Again?

Post by brj »

Eduard Bradichansky. No new designs or projects (IIRC he was killed by the Hamas), but I'd looove a H1 (or LC200N) SpyderCard.
juggler

Post by juggler »

Ed Schempp seems like an obvious candidate (at least to me ;))

After the Vrango, I'd also like to see another Michael Henningsson collaboration.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Farid Mehr, Peter Szabo, and Brian Tighe. Their collab knives are super intimidating, thus super cool. :) I'd love to see more Spydies with their designs & logos.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Oh, and Kevin Smock, and Paul Alexander especially thanks to the Ikuchi. :) Much more pocket friendly, yet still capable if needed.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marcyn Slysz and Peter Rassenti
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Des Horn and Paul Alexander please!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Don´t know if Alistair Phillips counts as "past", but I´d certainly like if he´d design something along the lines of the Kapara, but better suited for outdoor use (compact knife with long cutting edge, but liner- or backlock and grippier handle)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Phil Wilson most assuredly.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tom Sachs. We need a new round of whites with the Endela and Straight Spine Stretch included. Maybe in something new like SPY27 or AEB-L. :D

Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I would definitely like to see more from Darriel Caston and Serge Panchenko. Right now, I would probably put Darrel Castin at the top of my list of favorite knife designers. His knives have an unconventional, sci-fi style that I think is really unique and I really enjoy.

I know I've brought it up in the past but I would still absolutely love to see Spyderco make it happen -
"The Squaretana" by Darriel Caston - Basically a full size "Squarehead."

and of course, it would be dream come true to personally collaborate with Spyderco. ;) ;)
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

Holy s... those Squaretanas look fantastic!! I want one of those, with a genuine spydiehole!!!

Are these slipjoints? Or do I see a framelock-bar?
Michael
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Bob Terzuola. He was the first custom maker to do a collab with Spyderco, and I'd love to see more from him.

I'd also love to see an update to the Ed Scott Impala, so another collab with him would great.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

rangefinder wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:24 am
Bob Terzuola. He was the first custom maker to do a collab with Spyderco, and I'd love to see more from him.

I'd also love to see an update to the Ed Scott Impala, so another collab with him would great.
Thank you!!! for mentioning Ed Scott. I wouldn't even mind having a Sprint Run of the IMPALA model which I dearly loved. But another collaboration form Ed Scott would be cool for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:23 am
I would definitely like to see more from Darriel Caston and Serge Panchenko. Right now, I would probably put Darrel Castin at the top of my list of favorite knife designers. His knives have an unconventional, sci-fi style that I think is really unique and I really enjoy.

I know I've brought it up in the past but I would still absolutely love to see Spyderco make it happen -
"The Squaretana" by Darriel Caston - Basically a full size "Squarehead."

and of course, it would be dream come true to personally collaborate with Spyderco. ;) ;)
That is really interesting stuff he does. I like the functional/practicality aspect of it all.

The one Brother that mentioned Ed Scott ( IMPALA fame)>> he's not the only knife designer from South Africa that does excellent work. Years ago I met two couples from South Africa that were well known knifemakers/designers at the BLADE Show in Atlanta and the stuff that comes out of SA is quite unique and very functional as well. There are a lot of really cool hunting knives from that country>> Ed Scott being one of a few from down there..
vivi

Post by vivi »

Anything from Laci Szabo or Fred Perrin. Their designs are always extremely interesting to my eyes and function quite well.

I'd love to see another Perrin / Janich collaboration, but this time made by Spyderco.

:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 pm
Anything from Laci Szabo or Fred Perrin. Their designs are always extremely interesting to my eyes and function quite well.

I'd love to see another Perrin / Janich collaboration, but this time made by Spyderco.
I've got to meet and talk with Laci Szabo at two of the BLADE Shows and he's a great guy with a huge knowledge of knives. His tactical knives have been some of my favorites for a long time. I really liked his UUK Lightning model a lot.

Also I find no fault at all with any of Fred Perrin's designs. I would love to see more from both of these guys.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

brj wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 am
Eduard Bradichansky. No new designs or projects (IIRC he was killed by the Hamas), but I'd looove a H1 (or LC200N) SpyderCard.
I came to post similar sentiments. His designs were among the most interesting.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Another vote for Bob Terzuola
Maybe another Peter Carey
Definitely RJ Martin

I know sal states he doesn't work with knifemakers after they work with another production house - but would love a vox/anso Spyderco
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:14 pm
I know sal states he doesn't work with knifemakers after they work with another production house - but would love a vox/anso Spyderco
This rules out several mentioned in this thread and few more that have yet to be mentioned.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001