Spyder Classics: The C-29 Cricket model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-29 Cricket model

Post by JD Spydo »

Well most of you that know me also are aware of the fact that I'm personally not all the big on the smaller Spyderco blades. I do own a few small Spyderco blades but it's quite out of the ordinary when you see me use or carry one. But there is one really small older, classic Spyderco model that it seems that almost everyone is intrigued with and that is the C-29 Cricket model.

I've still got my Carbon Fiber Cricket from the first run of their carbon fiber series. I kind of like the Cricket with a Carbon Fiber handle. I've wanted one for a long time in a titanium handle as well. It is amazing at how proficient of a cutter that the little Cricket model can be in a pinch>> especially with a Spyderedge. If I was going to gift a lady with her first knife the Cricket and Delica models would be two of my first choices.

There's been a lot said in the past year or so about many of Spyderco's micro sized models. But I still think that the Cricket stands out among them. So let's talk about the super classic C-29 Cricket model that has stood the test of time.
Mini2white

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-29 Cricket model

Post by Mini2white »

I try to get as many frn as I can. I love the cricket.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only Cricket I own is an old FRN-handled, PE, ATS-55 bladed version. Pretty nice knife, it for some reason, I never quite warmed up to it like I thought I would.

In terms of small Spydercos, I am enjoying my new SE Ladybug hawkbill Salt, though.

Jim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The time has come for a new FRN Cricket 2 with bi-directional texturing on both scale sides and a wire clip. I'd also settle for a Cricket-fly. SE Reverse S blade of course.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Reject

Post by Reject »

Being able to open a Spyderco knife one handed is a big part of Spyderco’s appeal to knife users.
With Spyderco’s small knives, there is limit to how small you can go and still be able to do that.
For me; not overly large hands, but old and battered. The Dragonfly is the smallest that works for me. Manbug, Ladybug and anything smaller are 2 handed openers for me, as a rule.

:) The Spin and the Cricket are the exceptions to rule. I actually find the Cricket easier to open than the Dragonfly.

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mini2white wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 pm
I try to get as many frn as I can. I love the cricket.
I had two of those PINK FRN Cricket models and I let a girlfriend I had at the time talk me out of them :o Along with a PINK Delica as well.

No I like the CF Cricket models and I would buy a Titanium Cricket if they ever make one. And I wouldn't object to a G-10 handled Cricket either. But it is one model that I just didn't like in a Stainless handle for whatever reason. But a CF Cricket is just outright cool IMO.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 pm
The only Cricket I own is an old FRN-handled, PE, ATS-55 bladed version. Pretty nice knife, it for some reason, I never quite warmed up to it like I thought I would.

In terms of small Spydercos, I am enjoying my new SE Ladybug hawkbill Salt, though.

Jim
My two Carbon Fiber Crickets are both ATS-55 models. The ATS-55 Era is about my all time favorite era for a lot of reasons. One of the Pink Crickets I used to have was also an ATS-55 model.

Again I would just love to test drive a "Titanium Cricket" :cool:
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

The carbon fiber cricket was my first Spyderco. I was won over with that. It was the only knife I had for several years. I would up losing it. I eventually found my way back and found they had been updated to the steel version. While reluctant to like it won me over even more than the carbon fiber version. Thinner but still just as much use. There has been some variants over the years but none inspired enough to replace the basic steel version. I prefer the serrated version of this title guy. Gives it a ton of cutting potential especially with the plain little tip part. Now if we could only get a ti frame version with a LCN or H1 blade then we could talk about replacing the steel version.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I hadn’t realised there had been an FRN version of the cricket.

[/quote]
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
jdw

Post by jdw »

The Cricket is one of my favorites. I wish that we could get an updated FRN version in SE. The cutting power in such a compact package is top notch.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:28 am
The Cricket is one of my favorites. I wish that we could get an updated FRN version in SE. The cutting power in such a compact package is top notch.
It is really astounding how effective of a cutter that little blade is for it's size. The reverseS blade with Spyder-Teeth makes for a great razor-like cutter. Which is why I want to see more of the Lil Matriarch model down the road.

I do like a more solid handle for the Cricket model which is why I like the Carbon Fiber handle for that model.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 pm

I do like a more solid handle for the Cricket model which is why I like the Carbon Fiber handle for that model.

I'd love to see a Micarta SE Cricket. That would be a cool exclusive or sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd like to see a modern FRN cricket back in the line up. Wire clip, tip up carry, bi-directional texture.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:39 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 pm

I'd love to see a Micarta SE Cricket. That would be a cool exclusive or sprint.
that's not a bad idea at all. However it does seem like Micarta handles are now on the "endangered species" list. But I would love to see a Cricket with either a Micarta or Titanium handle.

The C-29 Cricket is one of those unique models that just won't die for whatever reason. The Cricket is one model that should see a new handle in every release of a new variant or Sprint Run.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread. The stainless model just doesn't do it for me. Too heavy.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mini2white wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 pm
Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread. The stainless model just doesn't do it for me. Too heavy.
That is so cool that you got that "pink" version I was talking about earlier. Because that one is about as rare as an "honest politician" :rolleyes: . GOOD GOLLY Miss Molly!! Even Brother REJECT doesn't even have the PINK Cricket :D And I'm surprised too. I had two of those Pink Crickets at one time and I wish I would have kept at least one.

But that is a very impressive collection of Spyderco CRICKET models. I'm sure the intense envy of our Brethren here is off the charts looking at that group of Cricket models ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I kind of regret never buying a frn Cricket.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Question: Is the Cricket the smallest Spyderco that offers a tip down clip option and also has a lanyard hole? I’ve been looking for an option to use as a keychain that will allow me to clip to the top of my pocket. Cricket seems to be it.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:47 am
Mini2white wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 pm
That is so cool that you got that "pink" version I was talking about earlier. Because that one is about as rare as an "honest politician" :rolleyes: . GOOD GOLLY Miss Molly!! Even Brother REJECT doesn't even have the PINK Cricket :D And I'm surprised too. I had two of those Pink Crickets at one time and I wish I would have kept at least one.

But that is a very impressive collection of Spyderco CRICKET models. I'm sure the intense envy of our Brethren here is off the charts looking at that group of Cricket models ;)
Don't count Reject out so quick. He has knives hidden everywhere. He is an impressive collector. My daughter has a pink as a carry knife. Sorry the crying can start now.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:54 am
I kind of regret never buying a frn Cricket.
They still come up for sale. Just not so cheap. The rounded edges and lightweight makes it perfect to hide away. My wife tucks hers away for sure.