Who wants more BBL and BAL ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Who wants more BBL and BAL ?

Post by elena86 »

I only wish the Ball Bearing Lock and Bolt Action Lock are implemented in more models. Strong reliable locks with a cool looking factor attached are allways needed. I had a QBall but lost it ... stupid I know. Never held back on using hard that folder and did some stupid things with it from time to time but I allways had the feeling that I should trust the lock.The same with my CBBLs. The Manix is the only folder that gives me peace of mind whenever I need to do some hard work with my blade. I was careless and didn’t purchase a Sage3 but I allways wanted to try the Bolt Action lock. People speak highly of it from what I know.
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Re: Who wants more BBL and BAL ?

Post by Wartstein »

YES. The CBBL is my second favorite locktype, close behind the mid backlock.
Strong detent, and can be operated in multiple ways - see my post and vids here viewtopic.php?t=87806 for example (among other methods like many do with a backlock (dropping the choil on a finger) or easily with a "fingers never in the blade path method" some seem to prefer)

Only minor con: Limits the design options, since the handle has to be somewhat tall and/or the blade has to have some kind of cutout/choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Sign me up.
I like CBBL on my Manix, it´s cool and strong lock. Might pick up a LW Manix at some point.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like the looks of the BBL but in anything but ideal conditions, (wet or slippery) I find it difficult to close one handed. I like the looks of the raw BBL better but the caged ball works much better for me in everyday use.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I got my very first "ball bearing lock" way back in late 2003 it was my very first Spyderco DODO model. And I've been intrigued with the smooth action and dependability of the Ball Bearing Lock ever since. I got proficient at "one-handing" the Ball Bearing locks some time ago.

I wish the DODO would be back again soon in SE. To me that was Eric Glesser's best design yet was the Dodo with the BBL.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

If they could find a way to make the CBBL work without widening the closed width of the knife or having the necessary choil, I would wholeheartedly buy only CBBL knives onward.

It could be possible, because I think the Benchmade Anthem operates on a similar principle (ambidextrous operation, spring on a rod inside-but I could be wrong, except no ball bearing for the locking part, or maybe it's closer to the Bolt lock), and yet it manages to be slim enough when closed. Could be a design challenge for the Spyderco design team to hack into someday?

I'd love to see more of these locks. As a leftie among thousands of thousands of southpaws all over the world, it would be amazing if there were more of these ambidextrous designs from Spyderco in the future.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JMM

Post by JMM »

[+1] YES! - to both, but most definitely the bolt-action-lock, I have never understood why it hasn't been used beyond the two Sage3 models....I really hope the 'new' Sage1 w/Maxamet is a sign the whole family will be redone, a new Sage3 in a tool steel like Rex45, 4V, K390, or CruWear is pretty much my dream EDC, given a SE option as well.... w00t! :D
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:48 am
If they could find a way to make the CBBL work without widening the closed width of the knife or having the necessary choil, I would wholeheartedly buy only CBBL knives onward.

It could be possible, because I think the Benchmade Anthem operates on a similar principle (ambidextrous operation, spring on a rod inside-but I could be wrong, except no ball bearing for the locking part, or maybe it's closer to the Bolt lock), and yet it manages to be slim enough when closed. Could be a design challenge for the Spyderco design team to hack into someday?
The D'Allara model was BBL without a choil, so it is possible to make.
By you can't slimline it to such a degree as Benchmade axis lock. On axis lock, the springs are not coil spring, but omega spring and they are not behind the locking bar, but on sides. That way, you don't have (almost) any problems with height of the handle.
But with BBL/CBBL, the spring is behind the ball, so naturally the handle has to be higher.
Some pics
Axis lock
CBBL
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd definitely like to see more CBBL and BAL. I'm not sold on the raw BBL. Like Gringo, I find it extremely elegant but harder to use in some real world situations.

A Chap sized BBL gent's knife would be pretty nice though.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm always in favor of the bolt action lock, however it was not a Spyderco developed lock and it has only been used on a line of knives made to showcase different lock types. Sadly, that may be the only time we see it at Spyderco.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Im not sure, im wary of them because it seems like more moving parts, ball bearings, springs etc, ends up being more that can go wrong like springs breaking over time, bearings getting corrosion/rust.
My head tells me the simpler the better but maybe I should be thinking the more the merrier :)
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The Spyderco P'Kal also uses the CBBL and has a slim, distinctly-shaped handle.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the mid back lock is far, far easier to use in a variety of conditions. The CBBL is my second favorite Spyderco lock. However, I think the buttons need to be redesigned just a bit to give a more positive purchase when pulling on them.

The Bolt Action Lock is one I have not tried but would like to. I know it is supposed to be really strong. I'd love a knife with this lock that was nice and trim.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 am
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:48 am

The D'Allara model was BBL without a choil, so it is possible to make.
By you can't slimline it to such a degree as Benchmade axis lock. On axis lock, the springs are not coil spring, but omega spring and they are not behind the locking bar, but on sides. That way, you don't have (almost) any problems with height of the handle.
But with BBL/CBBL, the spring is behind the ball, so naturally the handle has to be higher.

The Anthem doesn't use omega springs like the usual BM knife; it uses a rod and spring system - here's a screenshot from Crazy Sharp's Youtube video "Benchmade anthem disassembled"

This is why I think there is a possibility of a slimmer CBBL or bolt lock system knife if ever it is designed.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am
The Anthem doesn't use omega springs like the usual BM knife; it uses a rod and spring system - here's a screenshot from Crazy Sharp's Youtube video "Benchmade anthem disassembled"

This is why I think there is a possibility of a slimmer CBBL or bolt lock system knife if ever it is designed.
That is interesting.
So yeah, there maybe could be a way for designing a slimmer CBBL knife.

But, I should also say, I have really no problem with tallness on Manix. Actually, I love how tall it is, because it really fills your hand.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I have a soft spot for the Bolt Action Lock. Tension-wise it is much much easier to operate than my lightweight Manix 2.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I would love to have more options with those locks because I haven’t handled one yet.
The D’Allara 3 is probably my favorite design of the knives which have used them, but I would guess that my preference is the CBBL over the exposed ceramic/steel ball.
These locks are much more appealing to me than the now numerous versions of the Benchmade Axis lock. My experience with those is not good.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like to see more CBBL. I find it works great in all situations for me. Only downside is its not as easy to put back together as a lockback, but it isn't too bad.

For me a dream knife would be a CBBL Military with no more handle cut-out for accessing the liner lock.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Count me out. I think it is an awful lock, that is bested by a backlock in every aspect.

I've tried them on multiple occasions, in half a dozen different models and each time I say the same thing. "Eh! Would be better, if it had a backlock."
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 am
I'd like to see more CBBL. I find it works great in all situations for me. Only downside is its not as easy to put back together as a lockback, but it isn't too bad.

For me a dream knife would be a CBBL Military with no more handle cut-out for accessing the liner lock.

That would be a pretty amazing knife if it ever materializes! A fully ambidextrous Military... a real dream knife right there vivi!