Cruwear Endela?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Cruwear Endela?

Post by Catamount123 »

I know there was a Cruwear Delica 4 (Distributor exclusive, I think?). Has anyone heard any rumors about, or have any knowledge of, a Cruwear Endela in the works? Have there been any Endela exclusives yet?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
TkoK83Spy

Re: Cruwear Endela?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think it's going to be tough to beat the already available K390 version, unless someone fancies it up with some different scales. Great knife for the price, similar to a PM2 but much more comfortable in hand. At least to me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm pretty curious to know how the k390 endela is selling. I think a lot of us on here bought it as our first Endela (myself included), and that could very well be the case in general. If it sells really well, I think we'll see Endela exclusives eventually, but I bet dealers are still feeling out this model. At the very least, it should be included in any future seki sprint run series. I agree it's really excellent - perfect edc size.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:02 pm
I'm pretty curious to know how the k390 endela is selling. I think a lot of us on here bought it as our first Endela (myself included), and that could very well be the case in general. If it sells really well, I think we'll see Endela exclusives eventually, but I bet dealers are still feeling out this model. At the very least, it should be included in any future seki sprint run series. I agree it's really excellent - perfect edc size.

I bought the VG-10 version late last year then bought the K390 at the end of the year. I've been carrying them every since. It is definitely in my top 3 now along with the Straight Spine Stretch and then Endura. I'd be perfectly happy with any of these as my only knife. I think the more people try it the more popular it will become. I'd love to see a Cruwear version. I think an LC200N Salt would be great as well, especially if they did it a little different and kept the liners (but made them LC200N obviously) and pointier tip of the non-Salt version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

How about using the way-back machine and releasing Super Blue and Hap 40 Endelas?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I've been enjoying my recently acquired K390 Endela, and that is what prompted me to enquire about a possible Cruwear version. So far, K390 has performed very well for my uses, and I expect it will stay sharp for a good long time. It will, eventually, need to be sharpened, though. One of the things I really appreciate about Cruwear is that I know I can easily get it as sharp as I want with my Sharpmaker and standard ceramic rods. It seems that K390 may require me to invest in diamond or cbn rods, and learn how to use them properly?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

That sounds pretty sweet and/or a Cruwear Endura.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am not really sure what would be the point of Cruwear since the k390 is out and apparently not a limited run. Maybe a Sprint run in Cruwear would make sense for the collectors, but for a user, I am not sure.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:27 am
I am not really sure what would be the point of Cruwear since the k390 is out and apparently not a limited run. Maybe a Sprint run in Cruwear would make sense for the collectors, but for a user, I am not sure.

1. A Cruwear Endela would likely be ~$15-20 cheaper than the K390 Endela.
2. If DLT did an exclusive in their OD Green/TiCN Cruwear combo it would appeal to fans of coated blades and OD Green
3. Cruwear <> K390. K390 might hold an edge longer, but Cruwear is easier to sharpen, more stainless, and more resistant to chipping on the off chance you bang your edge into a staple or another hard item.
4. I have the VG-10 and the K390 and would still buy a Cruwear version and a Salt version and rotate all 4 as users.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

@steelcity16 - those are some fair points.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I agree that Cruwear is great and has different strengths than K390-- as pointed out by SteelCity.

I'm more interested in a Cruwear Stretch, but an Endela would be cool too.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Those with the same knife in different steels - how do you even choose which to carry which day?
"I'm going to smack my edge into a staple today, better carry the lower carbide one"

I actually wish there was a regular cruwear/4v model - it's a less expensive steel than say, Maxamet, but on the secondary market for a user, it's the same price if not more (average price of a Para 3 DLT is about $200ish vs $217 for a Para 3 Maxamet)

If DLT picked it up for an exclusive, you guys might have a chance - the delica sat around for a few weeks - but now they're also selling for 50% more than what they used to, new
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
I was going to order the K390 Delica but your comment has me thinking. I have so many Delicas already and I don't have a Endela yet. Hmmm....
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:39 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I was going to order the K390 Delica but your comment has me thinking. I have so many Delicas already and I don't have a Endela yet. Hmmm....
That's was pretty much my exact thinking, and I'm definitely happy with the choice.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:39 am
I've been enjoying my recently acquired K390 Endela, and that is what prompted me to enquire about a possible Cruwear version. So far, K390 has performed very well for my uses, and I expect it will stay sharp for a good long time. It will, eventually, need to be sharpened, though. One of the things I really appreciate about Cruwear is that I know I can easily get it as sharp as I want with my Sharpmaker and standard ceramic rods. It seems that K390 may require me to invest in diamond or cbn rods, and learn how to use them properly?
I've used mostly the brown and white Tri-Angles on my K390 blades, (Ladybug, Manbug, Urban, & Endela,) and gotten excellent results. Is it supposed to be hard to sharpen?
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

A lot of people seem to confuse "reprofiling" and "sharpening" when talking about steels that are "hard to sharpen".

The ceramic Sharpmaker rods are harder than any blade steel and will sharpen any blade steel. However, they have a pretty fine finish and therefore will be very slow to remove large amounts of material, especially on harder steels.

So if your edge is already set to 30deg or 40deg, touching up on the Sharpmaker should be quick and easy, as your sharpening angle will match the edge's, and the stones will be working on the apex.

If your edge is wider (as most factory edges come), the ceramic rods will be working for quite a while on the shoulder of the bevel before removing enough material to actually match the angle of the Sharpmaker. It is in this case that you will want to reprofile the edge to match the angle of the Sharpmaker you want to use. Or at least to be acute enough to allow a wider micro-bevel (like a 40deg micro-bevel on a 30deg edge). That's where the diamond and CBN rods come in handy, as they can remove material a lot faster.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Does not have to be Cruwear necessarily, but generally the Endela should get (many) more variants in different steels (and perhaps handle materials)
For me it is "the" PM2 alternative (together with the Stretch) for those who prefer EDC knives in that size category - The Endela has pretty much the same length dimensions as the PM2, but is lighter, slimmer in carry, has a thinner blade, more actual grip area on the (for me) more comfortable handle - and is more affordable (plus: There is the amazingly performing SE version!)
While I personally still favor the larger Endura over the Endela, the latter has a grip that is a tiny bit more handfilling and for me the best proportions and looks of the Endura family knives.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:26 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
That's was pretty much my exact thinking, and I'm definitely happy with the choice.
The K390 Endela will be the next knife I purchase for myself. I had one in my cart and then found a SPY27 M2 LW so I just "had" to have it. I like the Endura and I like the Delica. I really wrestled over buying the Endela, wondering if it would be too big and too small at the same time. Wartstein has one and likes the Endura better. In the end, I decided to take a chance because I do not have on in my collection and would rather have K390 than most things I can think of.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
The K390 Endela will be the next knife I purchase for myself. I had one in my cart and then found a SPY27 M2 LW so I just "had" to have it. I like the Endura and I like the Delica. I really wrestled over buying the Endela, wondering if it would be too big and too small at the same time. Wartstein has one and likes the Endura better. In the end, I decided to take a chance because I do not have on in my collection and would rather have K390 than most things I can think of.

Doc, that´s true, but the sole reason that I personally prefer the Endura is the longer cutting edge since I feel it makes the knife more versatile.
Everything else is equal in the Endela or even slightly better:
- The Endela handle is a tad more comfortable and handfilling (really just very subtle though) and still more than long enough, even for really big hands I guess - I like it better than the Endura handle
- The Endela is a better carry, since it is shorter than the Endura (actually the closed length of the Endela is just 1 mm longer than a Manix, but it is a lot slimmer of course)
- The Endela looks very harmonic and perfectly proportioned to me (though, as said: Practically speaking a longer blade would be no detriment)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:27 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:55 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

Doc, that´s true, but the sole reason that I personally prefer the Endura is the longer cutting edge since I feel it makes the knife more versatile.
Everything else is equal in the Endela or even slightly better:
- The Endela handle is a tad more comfortable and handfilling (really just very subtle though) and still more than long enough, even for really big hands I guess - I like it better than the Endura handle
- The Endela is a better carry, since it is shorter than the Endura (actually the closed length of the Endela is just 1 mm longer than a Manix, but it is a lot slimmer of course)
- The Endela looks very harmonic and perfectly proportioned to me (though, as said: Practically speaking a longer blade would be no detriment)

Warstein's summary Echoes my thoughts as well. I've been carrying my Endelas most of the time lately, and I occasionally miss the longer cutting edge, but otherwise the Endela is preferred for the reasons listed above. And even when I do miss that longer cutting edge, it's not like the Endela can't perform the task at hand. It just may be slightly less efficient/easy/enjoyable/etc to do vs. using the longer Endura.