What is the purpose of S45VN, cf S30V?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

S45VN’s card cut is around 520 compared to S30V which is in the 600 range, according to a Doc Thomas graphic.

S45VN has about the same or a little more toughness as S30V (both around 6 ft-lbs in some graphs, other graphs show S45VN toughness getting up to 7-8, still nothing to write home about)

S45VN is run maybe 1+Rc harder than S30V, depending on treat (doesn’t seem much)

Both have about the same amount of carbides (around 20%)

Is it just the slightly increased chromium content (maybe +1.5% cf S30V)?

It seems like a very slight upgrade to S30V, unless you consider card cut, in which case it may be a downgrade...would a user even be able to tell the difference between the two, if not for the label?
Rinzler

Re: What is the purpose of S45VN, cf S30V?

Post by Rinzler »

I can’t comment on the purpose, but solely that it ISN’T s30v, I already like it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

How's the edge stability?

What about grindability? Easier to work steel (resulting in less production cost, resulting in less expensive knives with similar quality) is worth working toward.

Card cutting isn't really the only factor to consider in a steel, especially for a production knife.
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

The main reason is to sell more blades. 99.999 percent of users probably won’t be able to discern any difference in performance. Just another latest ands “greatest” steel
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I think that you have to look at where bladesmiths and manufacturers are using it to see what it is good for.

If you look at S30V it is primarily used at a high hardness in folders that have 3.5 in blades. There may be a fixed blade here and there in S30V but it is probably run very soft.

S35VN was/is being used in folders and fixed blades up to 7in in length, and that it where S45VN is going to be used.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Finer Carbides, improved corrison resistance, easier to grind and finish, improved toughness at higher hardness.

It's more balanced.

I also like the edge taking better than S35vn, comes up crisper at the edge.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Donut

Post by Donut »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:18 pm
S35VN was/is being used in folders and fixed blades up to 7in in length, and that it where S45VN is going to be used.
I thought S35VN was terrible for fixed blades judging by how many people are breaking the ESEEs made from it.

The OP, S35VN has slightly more edge retention and slightly more toughness. If that is important to you, then S35VN is important. I don't mind having better edge retention and toughness, so I'd take S35VN over S30V if the price difference wasn't too crazy.

Wasn't S35VN made because people complained about S30V?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Donut wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:55 pm
Naperville wrote:
I thought S35VN was terrible for fixed blades judging by how many people are breaking the ESEEs made from it.

The OP, S35VN has slightly more edge retention and slightly more toughness. If that is important to you, then S35VN is important. I don't mind having better edge retention and toughness, so I'd take S35VN over S30V if the price difference wasn't too crazy.

S30v cuts longer in controlled testing.

More carbide volume = more cutting
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Donut wrote:
Naperville wrote:

Spartan Blades and Chris Reeve Knives were using S35VN for their large knives. Spartan is in the process of moving to S45VN.

Bushcrafting is NOT the same implementation or style of knife use as self defense, and military use. I do not know how designers decide on knife attributes and steels, but ESEE does not design the same type of knives as Spartan or CRK.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm

S45VN’s card cut is around 520 compared to S30V which is in the 600 range, according to a Doc Thomas graphic.

S45VN has about the same or a little more toughness as S30V (both around 6 ft-lbs in some graphs, other graphs show S45VN toughness getting up to 7-8, still nothing to write home about)

S45VN is run maybe 1+Rc harder than S30V, depending on treat (doesn’t seem much)

It seems like a very slight upgrade to S30V, unless you consider card cut, in which case it may be a downgrade...would a user even be able to tell the difference between the two, if not for the label?
s45vn is a step away from s35vn, itself a step away from s30v, and SPY27 or w/e is a step away from s45vn. What are we stepping away from? Vanadium carbide. Regardless of Crucible's marketing, vanadium knives just struggle to take and maintain a keen edge, and when you push the carbon content high enough, the toughness falls off just the same as chromium. So for awhile Crucible has toyed with s30vn to try to get both good toughness and wear resistance, and this entailed a progressive lowering of carbon and vanadium content. It turns out to be impossible. The differences between s30v, s35vn, and s45vn are all marginal and academic, and none of them take keen edges well.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

JohnDoe99 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:13 pm
Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:55 pm

s45vn is a step away from s35vn, itself a step away from s30v, and SPY27 or w/e is a step away from s45vn. What are we stepping away from? Vanadium carbide. Regardless of Crucible's marketing, vanadium knives just struggle to take and maintain a keen edge, and when you push the carbon content high enough, the toughness falls off just the same as chromium. So for awhile Crucible has toyed with s30vn to try to get both good toughness and wear resistance, and this entailed a progressive lowering of carbon and vanadium content. It turns out to be impossible. The differences between s30v, s35vn, and s45vn are all marginal and academic, and none of them take keen edges well.
It's the sharpening that determines the edge
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Interesting discussion. Regards the following:
Rinzler wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:06 pm
I can’t comment on the purpose, but solely that it ISN’T s30v, I already like it.
Donut wrote:

One of the reasons I'm asking the question, is that I wonder if making a rather similar steel (IMO) and giving it a higher numbered name, is to leave behind the reservations that some afi's have about S30V. I'm curious if it's primarily a marketing move, or is it actually a significant recipe upgrade. It looks like a modest reformulation of S30V to me, but I'm not an expert, thus the question. Maybe +1.5% Cr makes a big difference. Maybe +0.2% N is big. Maybe +0.5 Nb is big. Maybe -1% V is big. Maybe all these small changes together are big. If it is a "big" upgrade I'd expect the end user to readily perceive a difference. It sounds like at least some of you who have experienced S45V regard it as a significant upgrade.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:49 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Donut wrote:

One of the reasons I'm asking the question, is that I wonder if making a rather similar steel (IMO) and giving it a higher numbered name, is to leave behind the reservations that some afi's have about S30V. I'm curious if it's primarily a marketing move, or is it actually a significant recipe upgrade. It looks like a modest reformulation of S30V to me, but I'm not an expert, thus the question. Maybe +1.5% Cr makes a big difference. Maybe +0.2% N is big. Maybe +0.5 Nb is big. Maybe -1% V is big. Maybe all these small changes together are big. If it is a "big" upgrade I'd expect the end user to readily perceive a difference. It sounds like at least some of you who have experienced S45V regard it as a significant upgrade.
It is an "improvement" using what was learned over the last decade to update S30v/s35vn. It's not going to anecdotally be vastly significant, however some discerning users may see the merit.

When it comes to making knives S45vn offers some unique advantages with customizing the heat treatment.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:28 pm
Finer Carbides, improved corrison resistance, easier to grind and finish, improved toughness at higher hardness.

It's more balanced.

I also like the edge taking better than S35vn, comes up crisper at the edge.
Pretty much answers the thread.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Rp5 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:19 pm

I suppose you're right; I asked the question as if it were binary: "Is it better?" Answer, yes, it's on the whole, better. I should have asked, "To what degree is it better for the end user?" and the impression I'm getting from this thread is: "It's a little better, you might not be able to notice much of a difference in use."

I'm smarting a little bit over the fact that its toughness is only a very modest upgrade to S30V, and it appears to give up some cutting ability for it. Never had a problem with S30V rusting in the first place. But, I'll live. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I found a half gallon of ice cream in the freezer, and I've already stopped crying.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

The average person probably won't notice much difference in cutting... same as S30V and S35VN. People that sharpen their knives, makers, and steel nuts in general will notice the difference over time.

Spyderco didn't exactly run out and upgrade their whole line to S35VN either, guess we'll see how much impact S45VN has. It's just a different balance of properties which some people will really enjoy. The cost and value benefit will determine how prevalent it becomes.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:32 pm
Rp5 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:19 pm

I suppose you're right; I asked the question as if it were binary: "Is it better?" Answer, yes, it's on the whole, better. I should have asked, "To what degree is it better for the end user?" and the impression I'm getting from this thread is: "It's a little better, you might not be able to notice much of a difference in use."

I'm smarting a little bit over the fact that its toughness is only a very modest upgrade to S30V, and it appears to give up some cutting ability for it. Never had a problem with S30V rusting in the first place. But, I'll live. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I found a half gallon of ice cream in the freezer, and I've already stopped crying.
I mean you'll have folks swear that Elmax is above and beyond S30v yet controlled testing shows it's less wear resistant, lower toughness and coarser structured.

Just goes to the why the end user is the biggest variable and especially the sharpening.

So give the S45vn a try and see what you think.

I enjoy it myself, if I had the option.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Donut

Post by Donut »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:52 pm
Donut wrote:
Naperville wrote:

Spartan Blades and Chris Reeve Knives were using S35VN for their large knives. Spartan is in the process of moving to S45VN.

Bushcrafting is NOT the same implementation or style of knife use as self defense, and military use. I do not know how designers decide on knife attributes and steels, but ESEE does not design the same type of knives as Spartan or CRK.
I thought it was Chris Reeve who helped Crucible create S35VN. He's kind of obligated to find a use for it.

ESEE makes more of an all rounder, they don't make a fixed blade that will only do a few things very well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:49 pm
Rinzler wrote:
Donut wrote:

I think I agree with you. We'll have to see what the market thinks.

Kind of like XHP, the numbers and the testing don't make it an awesome steel, but people still love it and XHP sells for more money than some other steels that perform better than it.

There is also a group of people who won't buy S35VN because of that youtuber who could bend the blades while testing when it first came out.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

This is Crucible's stated intent in creating CPM S45VN as explained in their spec sheet:

CPM S45VN is a martensitic stainless steel designed to offer improved corrosion and wear resistance over CPM S35VN. Its chemistry has been rebalanced so that it forms more chromium carbides, while at the same time leaving more free chromium in the matrix. The use of Niobium and Nitrogen in place of some of the Vanadium and Carbon produces an excellent combination of edge retention, wear resistance, corrosion resistance and toughness properties making this the ideal choice for an EDC knife steel.

Stay safe,

Mike