What is the purpose of S45VN, cf S30V?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: What is the purpose of S45VN, cf S30V?

Post by p_atrick »

In the post on Crucible and Niagara, I asked Sal if S45VN is a steel CQI. Here's his response:
sal wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Yup. steel CQI.

sal
BBB did a good job at explaining these improvements. I am interested to see what happens to the production of S30V, S35VN, and S45VN. Will they continue to produce all three? Will they stop production of S30V?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 am
BBB did a good job at explaining these improvements. I am interested to see what happens to the production of S30V, S35VN, and S45VN. Will they continue to produce all three? Will they stop production of S30V?

Good question! Can we take bets? I'm going to bet that S30V is quietly phased out. Dunno about S35VN, it may be "different enough" to stay?
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 am
Just goes to the why the end user is the biggest variable and especially the sharpening.

My favorite line in this thread so far...! Well said!
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 am
In the post on Crucible and Niagara, I asked Sal if S45VN is a steel CQI. Here's his response:
sal wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Yup. steel CQI.

sal
I'm curious if BBB has used Spy27 yet and how that compares to S35VN, S45VN, and S30V.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Rp5 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 am
I'm curious if BBB has used Spy27 yet and how that compares to S35VN, S45VN, and S30V.

Take a look at the first post on page 1. BBB updated this with some data. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86859
Matus

Post by Matus »

I think most usually forget, that to "improve" a steel may well mean very different things for the steel maker, the knife/blade maker and the end customer. While the end customer wants things like edge holding, toughness or better stain resistance, the steel maker cares about the improvement in production process and the blade maker about costs, stability of processes, etc. It is great for us users if some new steel offers considerable boost in some of the properties we care about, but if it means that the production of the blade requires considerable changes to the process or the HT requires more steps or is very sensitive to temperature or timing, then the knifemaker may tend to avoid it.

I don't claim to have any insights into the steel production or industrial knife making, but just wanted to (maybe state the obvious) point out that there are important parameters we know little about and also care little about.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Dr Larrin also did a ton of micrographs, there are very labor intensive to make so they deserve lots of love.

S45vn has slightly finer carbides than S30v at slightly higher volume but less of the harder Vanadium Carbides that contribute more to wear resistance.

S45vn is also slightly finer than S35vn. S45vn is also more wear resistant and with more carbide volume.

XHP is a fan favorite for how it sharpens, we can see S45vn is finer structured and has less volume but XHP just makes softer chromium carbides

Elmax has a cult following, it is touted as being one of the finer structured pm stainless steels and one of the toughest both thanks to its third generation PM technology. However, we can see from the micrograph that this is incorrect. It not the finest, nor the toughest with this much volume.
S45VN is finer and has a better fraction of harder carbides ELMAX makes mostly larger chromium carbides but at higher volume
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

In use I really can’t tell the difference between S30V and S45VN. To much variables determining the actual behavior of the steel. Not the least my (poor) sharpening skills. I like both steels... they are well balanced. So is VG10, S35VN, Elmax,...
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:32 pm
I'll live. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I found a half gallon of ice cream in the freezer, and I've already stopped crying.
Hmm, what else is hiding in that freezer ?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 pm
Dr Larrin also did a ton of micrographs, there are very labor intensive to make so they deserve lots of love.

Thanks for posting these comparatives. I want to go on record that I DO LOVE Dr. Thomas' micrographs, but I was unaware they were difficult to obtain. I'd be interested to know how one takes a micrograph of steel--I'll search around and see if I can read up on micrography.

Tucson, you stay outta my freezer, man.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Thanks for posting these comparatives. I want to go on record that I DO LOVE Dr. Thomas' micrographs, but I was unaware they were difficult to obtain. I'd be interested to know how one takes a micrograph of steel--I'll search around and see if I can read up on micrography.

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Good question! Can we take bets? I'm going to bet that S30V is quietly phased out. Dunno about S35VN, it may be "different enough" to stay?
I doubt S30V gets phased out. The Native 5 LW debuted in S35VN and was later switched to S30V. I think that S45VN and SPY27 are going to have to get much less expensive to phase out S30V.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Before I started taking micrographs, 95% of the steels had no microstructure images available at all.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I love that in order to micrograph metal, you have to watergrind resin. Immediately reminds me of knife sharpening.