2021 Forum knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: 2021 Forum knife?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rab wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:21 am
Loads of brilliant suggestions. Probably only gonna have a chance if we're on one knife though.

UKPK -seems to be a good fit

G10 - also seems to be mentioned a fair bit

COBALT - definitely seen this more than most other colours.

SPY27 - same thing here.

Only thing I'd add in is blade shape, DROP POINT rather than leaf. (I already have the S110v) and something different would be nice.

We need a poll 😀
Only problem I see with this one is I think it's very likely to show up as a regular catalog item. Probably only in the leaf blade configuration though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Let's be imaginative. A double knife would please a lot of petitioners:

- a double bladed (Dyad type) would allow two steels (Spy27 and M390?), two edge types (one blade PE and the other SE), two blade shapes (one drop point and one wharncliffe) and four blade sides to place up to four logos, engravings and the alike; and

- a double handle (Chap Sun & Moon type) would allow two different colors and even two differente materials -one per side- (micarta or birdseye maple and G-10 or rafir noble?).

If, in addition, the two blades are non-locking and below 3 inches, it could be carried legally almost everywhere.

If every time a configuration is proposed, the following 10 posts suggest another 15 different ones I think that a forum knife of these characteristics could not represent us better. :rolleyes:
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Rab

Post by Rab »

[/quote]

Only problem I see with this one is I think it's very likely to show up as a regular catalog item. Probably only in the leaf blade configuration though
[/quote]

I wouldn't complain about that , but not ideal as a special forum knife then.

What about keep the colours but change the material, denim micarta?

And swap out the steel,
Rab

Post by Rab »

Menipo-

You win man, take my money. Thats THE knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Oh man, now that the Chaparral has been mentioned: Finally an SE-version of it, perhaps even in wharnie blade shape, would be a more than decent forum knife either.
Plus an amazing performer (first SE Spydie in 2mm blade stock ffg!) :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:47 pm
Oh man, now that the Chaparral has been mentioned: Finally an SE-version of it, perhaps even in wharnie blade shape, would be a more than decent forum knife either.

Wartstein,

The unwritten rules of this type of threads state that you cannot contribute to chaos more than once ... :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Wartstein,

The unwritten rules of this type of threads state that you cannot contribute to chaos more than once ... :D

I guess you´re right. My apologies! ;) (even more so since it is the THIRD time: Rockjumper, then getting on board concerning the UKPK and now my sudden Chap-attack... :p )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rab

Post by Rab »

Wait a minute, just checked what a dyad costs.

So, UKPK it is then 😉
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

UKPK
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm
Menipo wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Wartstein,

I guess you´re right. My apologies! ;) (even more so since it is the THIRD time: Rockjumper, then getting on board concerning the UKPK and now my sudden Chap-attack... :p )

:p
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 am
The Military is a great knife but it is too big and too expensive, and is illegal in many places. It does not matter that it is legal where you live, it is not for many people.
Dont Care, Dont Care, Dont Care.
:D
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Here is my crazy idea since only a few are focusing here, a Darn Dao in Rex121, full serrated, mammoth tusk handle with the guard made of solid platinum.

Either that, or a UKPK. ;)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Donut

Post by Donut »

I feel like we should bring back the C95 Large, Lock back, thick blade Manix in a special steel for a forum knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:31 pm
Here is my crazy idea since only a few are focusing here, a Dao in Rex121, full serrated, mammoth tusk handle with the guard made of solid platinum.

Either that, or a UKPK. ;)
tenor (3).gif
tenor (3).gif (884.18 KiB) Viewed 704 times
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

So, the UKPK seems to have the best general appeal. I'm not opposed to it, but it has never really stuck out as something I needed to try.
But... since I've long been looking for a one hand opening slipjoint (or DD) with a pocket clip and sheepsfoot blade, I was doing a picture search for the UKPK to help me visualize how it would look with a sheepsfot blade and BOOM! There it was, an UKPK with orange G10 and serrated(!) sheepsfoot blade. Wow.

So, I guess it's settled then;

SPY27 - same thing here.

SHEEPSFOOT SE - because sheepsfoot, and because SE

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

justjohn wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:35 am
I would like to submit the following: Siren, LC200N, Serrated Edge, Black Carbon Fiber Scales (Solid) with a Stylish Green Neon Accent Layer. :D
I'm really on board with this. :p
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:39 pm

SPY27 - same thing here.

SHEEPSFOOT SE- because sheepsfoot, and because SE

Make it WHARNIE SE and I am in... :p
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:22 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:39 pm

SPY27 - same thing here.

SHEEPSFOOT SE- because sheepsfoot, and because SE

Make it WHARNIE SE and I am in... :p
I would prefer sheep or lamb, but wharnie isn’t out of the question, but has it been done before? I mean, if we’re being half serious for a moment (yeah...), we should probably stick to existing blade configurations. A new configuration, however simple is bound to involve some R&D, machine programming and other kinds of overhead. So not likely to happen if we wan’t to keep cost down and Spyderco to not loose money.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:54 am
What we need is a new knife, a SPYPK :p
I wonder what hapened with the Metropolitan project. A slipit in between the SPYdk and UKPK. Maybe Sal will chime in. All I want is to be ground very thin behind the edge. Just like the Urban. My Urbans are < 0.017” bte. In Golden they ground their blades quite thick behind the edge and the UKPK is no exception. I never understood why ...
I had forgotten about that. I wonder where they will be made? I also wonder what happened to the project.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 am
We need to get behind ONE knife, not all over the map. I think it should be a Golden made knife, personally. Also, I think the UKPK in G10 and a steel upgrade like Heinnie Haynes has, would be a good choice, because as you all can see, those in Europe would be able to proudly carry them (except Denmark). The Urban was a thought, but its spring is too stiff and it is not Golden made.
The Lil Native is another thought, but many members could not carry it legally. I could be happy with this choice, anyway.
The Military is a great knife but it is too big and too expensive, and is illegal in many places. It does not matter that it is legal where you live, it is not for many people.
The Native 5 has been done ad nauseum.
Let's focus on realistic knives and get down to one knife and then worry about steel and color.
I'm just going to have agree again (except for the Lil Native) with DD. Let's stick with the UKPK, please.
No argument from me. I like the UKPK.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050