2021 Forum knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: 2021 Forum knife?

Post by Wartstein »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:00 pm
Are you allowed to have a vote if you are new to the forum?
If its ok id vote for a lil native, which would be legal in most places and is a fantastic knife, maybe in lc200n and ok for salt :)
Sadly not legal everywhere... in my neighbor country Germany they are not allowed to carry any knife that is both locking and can be opened with one hand... not even a Ladybug. Crazy... :(
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:26 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:27 am
A Li'l Native back lock in a great steel and color would be fine by me, too.

SPY27, and I'm in!

Yep I would get on that train, forum knife or not!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

We need to get behind ONE knife, not all over the map. I think it should be a Golden made knife, personally. Also, I think the UKPK in G10 and a steel upgrade like Heinnie Haynes has, would be a good choice, because as you all can see, those in Europe would be able to proudly carry them (except Denmark). The Urban was a thought, but its spring is too stiff and it is not Golden made.
The Lil Native is another thought, but many members could not carry it legally. I could be happy with this choice, anyway.
The Military is a great knife but it is too big and too expensive, and is illegal in many places. It does not matter that it is legal where you live, it is not for many people.
The Native 5 has been done ad nauseum.
Let's focus on realistic knives and get down to one knife and then worry about steel and color.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
lorgar

Post by lorgar »

I vote for a slipjoint, or a lockback or a compression lock. G10 or Micarta for scales, and for the steel, if stainless I think about spy27 and we all know why, in non stainless, I would like a 52100 to try it. But anyway, I think the good choice for a large public from here is th spy27 steel.
I will follow.
Have all a nice day.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

SPY27 is an interesting steel, but it's my guess (and maybe even a stated fact for all I know) that SPY27 will be a pretty standard offering for many models given enough time. So a forum knife in SPY27 might be special in 2021, but in a few years it might be just the handle material or color that separates it from the base model...
It doesn't take away from the fact that it would still be a nice knife in a good steel, so it's not a big deal, just something to take into consideration.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Oh.. and my stupid contribution to the chaos;
Rookie with standard grey G10 and K390 :D
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 am
Salty Dog wrote:
If its ok id vote for a lil native, which would be legal in most places and is a fantastic knife, maybe in lc200n and ok for salt :)
Sadly not legal everywhere... in my neighbor country Germany they are not allowed to carry any knife that is both locking and can be opened with one hand... not even a Ladybug. Crazy... :(
That blows man, They arnt legal where I live in Australia either, which is overkill.
That is unless you are carrying it whilst doing a specific task like fishing, camping, work, hiking etc.
I live very close to the water so ive usually always got an excuse :) not that ive ever been asked.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 pm
Salty Dog wrote:
Sure! And welcome aboard!!

Being new to the forum means you may have more sense and/or be taking this more seriously than some of the jaded veterans.
Thanks for the welcome Tom!

Lol, im loving the knives and community, definitely fallen down the hole mate.
Spyderco is giving me a great appreciation for knives, thanks to the people who make it possible at Spyderco and thanks to the members of this community who im learning a lot from.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 am
We need to get behind ONE knife, not all over the map. I think it should be a Golden made knife, personally. Also, I think the UKPK in G10 and a steel upgrade like Heinnie Haynes has, would be a good choice, because as you all can see, those in Europe would be able to proudly carry them (except Denmark). The Urban was a thought, but its spring is too stiff and it is not Golden made.
The Lil Native is another thought, but many members could not carry it legally. I could be happy with this choice, anyway.
The Military is a great knife but it is too big and too expensive, and is illegal in many places. It does not matter that it is legal where you live, it is not for many people.
Let's focus on realistic knives and get down to one knife and then worry about steel and color.
I usually don't seriously participate in things like this because I can never make up my mind. I just wait for someone to decide what it'll be and buy it if it's something I like. The UKPK is certainly a model I can support and one I'd likely buy
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What we need is a new knife, a SPYPK :p
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:54 am
What we need is a new knife, a SPYPK :p
I wonder what hapened with the Metropolitan project. A slipit in between the SPYdk and UKPK. Maybe Sal will chime in. All I want is to be ground very thin behind the edge. Just like the Urban. My Urbans are < 0.017” bte. In Golden they ground their blades quite thick behind the edge and the UKPK is no exception. I never understood why ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

UKPK is the ideal choice. I'd like to see one in Maxamet or K390, but LC200N, Spy27...there are lots of good options.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I can get behind a UKPK as long as it is in G10 and the steel is better than the stock version. I guess it would be cheaper compared to the Paramilitary series even with upgraded steel.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

So how about a UKPK in Cobalt G10/Micarta with a Wharncliffe SPY27 blade?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:44 pm
Something in spy27 sounds good.

How about a spy27 Military 2? :D
OK that settles it!! if the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run is in SPY-27 then it will be a done deal!!. How could anyone object to that??? :D

Or maybe a newer edition Military model with the newest Supersteel blade. You couldn't lose either way IMO.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 am
I'm just going to have agree again (except for the Lil Native) with DD. Let's stick with the UKPK, please.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I would like to submit the following: Siren, LC200N, Serrated Edge, Black Carbon Fiber Scales (Solid) with a Stylish Green Neon Accent Layer. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What are your thoughts on any knife or locking /non locking system but with S90V with 10 thousandths BTE FFG and an added special logo?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I would like a true gentleperson's knife. A slip joint, with black micarta scales and brushed nickle (or aluminum for weight) bolsters and an M390 blade. If it could be worked, take down would be cool, but comfortable with pinned/riveted as well. I don't know if the bolsters would work/look right with screw-through design.

I think the UKPK could look really good with this treatment.

Cheers
Rab

Post by Rab »

Loads of brilliant suggestions. Probably only gonna have a chance if we're on one knife though.

UKPK -seems to be a good fit

G10 - also seems to be mentioned a fair bit

COBALT - definitely seen this more than most other colours.

SPY27 - same thing here.

Only thing I'd add in is blade shape, DROP POINT rather than leaf. (I already have the S110v) and something different would be nice.

We need a poll 😀