SpyOpera - what to expect?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

SpyOpera - what to expect?

Post by Matus »

I finding the design, thin cutting edge, cool blade shape (basically a smaller, more elegant version of the Gayle Bradley), it has a bit of that ‘weird but cool’ factor, smooth operation and I would not even mind the pinned construction.

But there is one possible issue that makes me unsure - and that is edge retention. Lionsteel has, sadly, a well documented reputation of getting some of the worst edge retention out of their m390 (and possibly other steels too) and the reason is most likely overheating of the cutting edge when grinding it. YT channel Outpost 76 has tested several Lionsteel knives, so there us little room left for the discussion.

Now the question is - did Lionsteel do better with the SpyOpera, or did they use their standard process. I would love to hear more on that.

And a side note - hardness measurement somewhere close to the spine or pivot says little about what happened to the edge during grinding and what the hardness at the edge is.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Pokey

Re: SpyOpera - what to expect?

Post by Pokey »

Matus,

I have a SpyOpera, also, and agree with your observations on the design. I've shown mine to friends and they really like the way it looks.

With regards to edge retention, I think the only way to tell if it will excel where other Lionsteel blades have suffered is by using it. Short of taking durometer tests at the edge, or speaking to someone at Lionsteel I don't know how one would know the actual hardness in that area. Edge retention could vary from person to person depending on what they're cutting.

I have other knives with M390 blades, but I don't put them through hard-use tests, so I can't really tell how the edge will stand up compared to the SpyOpera.

I'd say use yours and let us know what you think.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thank you. I must admit that I did not get one yet, I am pondering it at the moment. I am not really asking/expecting best possible performance from that piece of m390 as this would be an urban EDC knife for me, but just would like to avoid a total disaster (as overheated edge would be also unpleasant to sharpen)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Imo, the SpyOpera isn't intended to be a hard use knife, but rather a cool, unique design that's very comfortable and effective for lighter daily use, very well-built, and beautiful to look at. Mine is absolutely lovely, and while I'm glad it wasn't made with 8cr, it's also true that a high edge retention steel wasn't a major factor in my choice to buy one. If you love the design first and foremost, then get one and you won't be disappointed with the quality and craftsmanship. If steel performance is more important to you, then maybe best to put your money into a Golden or Taichung spydie.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

And since pictures are always nice, here's one of mine this summer.
- Julia

araneae

Post by araneae »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:29 pm
Imo, the SpyOpera isn't intended to be a hard use knife, but rather a cool, unique design that's very comfortable and effective for lighter daily use, very well-built, and beautiful to look at. Mine is absolutely lovely, and while I'm glad it wasn't made with 8cr, it's also true that a high edge retention steel wasn't a major factor in my choice to buy one. If you love the design first and foremost, then get one and you won't be disappointed with the quality and craftsmanship. If steel performance is more important to you, then maybe best to put your money into a Golden or Taichung spydie.
Agreed. It should do everything you need it to for basic, light to medium duty use.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I think my GB is somewhat elegant! ;) As the others have said, fantastic model with excellent fit and finish and super fidget factor. I’ve had zero qualms about its M390 blade, it cuts everything I throw at it like a champ, including my own finger. The bearings of the SpyOpera give it lightning fast and ultra smooth opening. I think of it in my mind as kind of a glorified Delica as well. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Matus

Post by Matus »

Lovely photos. Those are absolutely stunning scales on the GB1 (I have GB1 coming in about a week). You guys make a good point. This knife is not about best possible edge retention.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have a Lionsteel M4 in M390. I have neither the resources or the desire to quantify its edge retention performance. All I can say is that in my typical use around the yard, it performs as well as my other knives with the same steel.
Attachments
lionsteel_quarantine_2020.jpg
JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Hiya! I've been reading back looking for info & I was hoping I could hit you up for an opinion on the SpyOpera as you've had it for a few months... I am considering buying one as I am a sucker for anything Micarta and I really like the Stretch like blade design... would you buy it again? Any gotchas? TIA!

Cheers,

John
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Cant help thinking this should have come with a small round magnifying glass to pop into the spydie hole so you could really take it to the opera. :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JMM wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:24 am
JuPaul wrote:
Hiya! I've been reading back looking for info & I was hoping I could hit you up for an opinion on the SpyOpera as you've had it for a few months... I am considering buying one as I am a sucker for anything Micarta and I really like the Stretch like blade design... would you buy it again? Any gotchas? TIA!

Cheers,

John
Well, I'll admit I haven't carried it much lately. But that has nothing to do with my opinion of it, I've just gotten distracted by other new and shiny things. ;) But I love the SpyOpera. It's beautiful: the micarta, the crowning, the decorative hardware. It's also hands down the smoothest backlock I own. My only complaints are 1) the ricasso is hidden, and you have to keep your finger pretty high on the handle if you're like me and you like to drop your backlock blades onto your index finger to close it. Just requires a bit of muscle memory, and you might want to blunt the sharp point at the butt end of the edge. 2) I haven't tried to take mine apart, but I've heard reviews saying it's pretty impossible. And since it has bearings, that bugs some people. But overall, this is absolutely a Spydie that has a home in my permanent collection.
- Julia

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

So far so good with SpyOpera for me. I'm very pleased with the one I picked up from the seconds sale
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Matus

Post by Matus »

I very much appreciate all the feedback, thank you.

EDIT:
Salty Dog: that is a ingenious idea with the lens. I may well do that to convert the knife to a two-hand-opening and thus making it compatible with German knife law (fixed blade is OK, lock is OK, one hand opening combined with a lock is not)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Matus wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:03 am
I very much appreciate all the feedback, thank you.

EDIT:
Salty Dog: that is a ingenious idea with the lens. I may well do that to convert the knife to a two-hand-opening and thus making it compatible with German knife law (fixed blade is OK, lock is OK, one hand opening combined with a lock is not)
:) Glad you liked the idea mate, I'd love to see the finished product, you'd be able to find a magnifying glass to fit that hole.
As you say it might get the knife around the prohibited one handed opening laws.
Would be an easy mod and easy to just pop out if you don't like it.
Would be very unique lol
JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:29 pm
JMM wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:24 am
JuPaul wrote:

Cheers,

John
Well, I'll admit I haven't carried it much lately. But that has nothing to do with my opinion of it, I've just gotten distracted by other new and shiny things. ;) But I love the SpyOpera. It's beautiful: the micarta, the crowning, the decorative hardware. It's also hands down the smoothest backlock I own. My only complaints are 1) the ricasso is hidden, and you have to keep your finger pretty high on the handle if you're like me and you like to drop your backlock blades onto your index finger to close it. Just requires a bit of muscle memory, and you might want to blunt the sharp point at the butt end of the edge. 2) I haven't tried to take mine apart, but I've heard reviews saying it's pretty impossible. And since it has bearings, that bugs some people. But overall, this is absolutely a Spydie that has a home in my permanent collection.
Awesome, thank you for the input, got one OTW ;)