Spyder Classics: C-51 Rookie model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Spyder Classics: C-51 Rookie model

Post by Donut »

I'd have to look to see if I still have an old school rookie. I have the sprint one, which is pretty awesome.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Donut wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:10 am
I'd have to look to see if I still have an old school rookie. I have the sprint one, which is pretty awesome.
When was the sprint? And what was it?
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Here are a few of my Rookies. Have the sprint and stainless somewhere. Definitely been one of my favorite users over the years. Would love a new variation.
Attachments
499ECD8D-7258-4E80-ACA2-C9EFBB5502E9.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

infinkc wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 am
Here are a few of my Rookies. Have the sprint and stainless somewhere. Definitely been one of my favorite users over the years. Would love a new variation.
What you just said is consistent with what many Non-Spyderco and basically Non-knife people say about the Rookie model. It's truly an ideal EDC model irrespective of the fact that it's a well respected Spyderco model.

Had it been marketed as a perfect sized EDC instead of being a "Little POLICE" model I think it would still be in the main line up.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Maybe this time around (assuming we can get it back into production) it will become a staple offering. It really is a great design.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:49 am
Maybe this time around (assuming we can get it back into production) it will become a staple offering. It really is a great design.

It would be really cool if that did happen. And keeping the original hollow grind with the swedge.

The one I have is the SS handle and PE blade. I’d love to have an SE-bladed version.

Jim
Appler

Post by Appler »

Shiny, deep carbon fiber and any steel and I am in. Primo gentleman's carry. ZDP or Super Blue and you'd need a mop for the drool...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:15 am
Donut wrote:
2008. Foliage green G-10 and VG-10 steel. I never liked that color so I didn't bother with that one.
Donut

Post by Donut »

aicolainen wrote:
Donut wrote:
Foliage Green G-10 and VG-10. I'd estimate 10 years ago, but Spidie Wiki probably has an exact date.

Yeah, Spidie Wiki says 2008.
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C51_Rookie
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thanks guys, that’s probably the one I wrongly have identified as grey from pictures I’ve seen. It’s the one I like - I think it looks very nice, in pictures at least.
Just my luck, I’m now in the market for a 13 year old sprint run... :o
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:10 pm
Thanks guys, that’s probably the one I wrongly have identified as grey from pictures I’ve seen. It’s the one I like - I think it looks very nice, in pictures at least.
I found an even older version just last year, so you still have a chance at one. Just keep searching.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:22 pm
aicolainen wrote:
I found an even older version just last year, so you still have a chance at one. Just keep searching.
I guess it's possible, but I live in the middle of nowhere, where not everyone bothers to mail stuff, and my internet presence is intermittent to say the least. Yeah, priorities I know :rolleyes:
Depends a bit on how popular they are. I can't justify sitting by my computer to wait for knives that might show up on the secondary, but I've enabled notifications at a couple of sites so I at least have a ticket in the lottery
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:56 am
Ever since the K390 Police 4 was released, I've been dreaming of a K390 Rookie! Would still love to see a Rookie sprint in K390, swedge included! ;)
yes yes yes
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
aicolainen wrote:
IS it an ATS-55 model JR? Because the very first run of the ROOKIE model were all ATS-55. It is truly one of the more noteworthy models of the great Spyderco ATS-55 Era.

Also the Rookie is one of the few models that I liked the Stainless version about as much as I liked the G-10 version. If I were to give a very conservative, non-knife person a gift of a pocket knife the ROOKIE model would bit it 90% of the time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:35 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Donut wrote:
Foliage Green G-10 and VG-10. I'd estimate 10 years ago, but Spidie Wiki probably has an exact date.

Yeah, Spidie Wiki says 2008.
http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C51_Rookie
Donut I think you're right>> because it does seem like it was back around 2010-2011 time slot when that one Sprint Run came our way. Sad and ashamed to say I can't remember if they did any SE models in that Sprint Run. Because that was about the time they were focusing on PE much more than any other time it seems.

But SpydieWiki is pretty much always right. It is a very valuable source of information. They are almost as good as our Spyderville Mayor i.e. The Deacon :D No one knows more than the Deacon :D I'm just extremely thankful he's not a Benchmade man :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd probably grab an updated Rookie LW. A new G10 Rookie probably wouldn't sell well due to the ever increasing costs of Seki G10 models. A G10 Rookie would probably be close to $200 (especially in K390, maybe even more than $200) where an FRN would be a closer to $100 or less probably (in VG-10).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:12 am
JRinFL wrote:
aicolainen wrote:
IS it an ATS-55 model JR? Because the very first run of the ROOKIE model were all ATS-55. It is truly one of the more noteworthy models of the great Spyderco ATS-55 Era.

Also the Rookie is one of the few models that I liked the Stainless version about as much as I liked the G-10 version. If I were to give a very conservative, non-knife person a gift of a pocket knife the ROOKIE model would bit it 90% of the time.
Yes, it is ATS-55 and is essentially unused. I could have had its twin in SE, but decided against it. No box or papers, so I may have over paid. C'est La Vie.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:06 am
I'd probably grab an updated Rookie LW. A new G10 Rookie probably wouldn't sell well due to the ever increasing costs of Seki G10 models. A G10 Rookie would probably be close to $200 (especially in K390, maybe even more than $200) where an FRN would be a closer to $100 or less probably (in VG-10).
I wouldn't bet on the FRN version being that cheap unless it went full production for a few years. Those molds haven't gotten any cheaper over the last couple of years.
brancron

Post by brancron »

I miss my old Rookie (pictured here with a Rock Lobster):