(EDIT: OLD THREAD !)Petition/poll for keeping the liner lock Military in the lineup, if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the linerlock Millie to remain in regular production if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie?

- Yes, I want the current linerlock Millie unchanged to remain in regular production additionally to a comp.lock version
50%
- Yes, I want the current linerlock Millie to remain in regular production, but with some changes (specify) additionally to a comp.lock version
3%
- I ONLY want the current linerlock Millie unchanged in regular production
21%
- I ONLY want the current linerlock Millie in regular production, but with some changes (specify)
5%
- No, I ONLY want a comp.lock Millie in regular production
21%

Total votes: 86

Wartstein

(EDIT: OLD THREAD !)Petition/poll for keeping the liner lock Military in the lineup, if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2

Post by Wartstein »

January 22:
I feel the need to make clear: I started this thread a year ago (Jan 21), it somehow got resurrected again. I myself would not have done this.
- Sal already said that the "Millie 1" would remain in the lineup,
so at this point the poll / thread is rather irrelevant, and the topic pretty much fully discussed... (at least for not totally new members)

are some indicators that the rumored comp.lock Military 2 is coming closer to reality - very good thing for those who prefer that lock type over the liner lock and perhaps want some additional changes (tip up carry...)!

But I know that there are also many (including me) who´d not want the iconic liner lock Millie to be gone for good.

So this is a humble petition to keep the linerlock Millie in the lineup, at least as an alternative to a comp.lock Millie (much like the Sage or Lil Native come in different lock types too!)

Let me give you my (of course mostly subjective!) reasoning once more:

- The linerlock of the current Millie is the best executed I´ve ever experienced
- It works perfectly well for a model intended for harder outdoor use, and imho better than a comp. lock in that scenario. Why?
+ Easier to operate with gloves or cold, wet fingers
+ More comfortable in hand than a comp. lock in extended use (no cutout where the comp.lock has one - can create a hotspot)

- For me a linerlock is more natural and safer to use than a comp.lock in harder outdoor use: No fingers have to be replaced to the top of the handle, the knife stays very secure and natural in the hand all the time
- While the comp.lock most likely is stronger technically, the Millie linerlock is still way strong enough
- The Millie is "the" icon in Spydercos lineup, and its lock for me is a not too small part of it:
+ Just that is NOT a comp. lock or backlock
+ It gives you the typical Millie feel in hand, I even love the distinctive double-click sound, and as said: It just works perfectly well and I never heard that it failed anyone
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Re: Humble petition and poll for keeping the liner lock Military in the lineup, if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2

Post by VashHash »

Sal already said they won't stop production of the liner lock.
Mushroom

Re: Humble petition and poll for keeping the liner lock Military in the lineup, if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2

Post by Mushroom »

^^ What VashHash said.

Voted to keep linerlock as well but objectively, by function alone, the compression lock is the safer option.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I wholeheartedly agree here, the liner lock is a defining feature of this beautiful design.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:48 pm
^^ What VashHash said.

Voted to keep linerlock as well but objectively, by function alone, the compression lock is the safer option.

Rather subjectively, if I may say this... (in the sense that which one is "safer" depends what parameters one emphasizes) ;)
My 2c:

- Strength: Comp. lock most likely technically stronger than linerlock, but imho with no practical implication. Both more than strong enough
- "Fingers always out of the blade path": Comp.lock 1, liner lock 0, not doubt. But: Who really needs that feature on a knife with a choil? I never, ever did cut myself with a linerlock-knife in the closing process (even not with no choil models)
- Safety in hand while closing: Imho win for the linerlock, especially in harsh conditions: Normally larger area for the finger (lock "tab") than on a comp.lock; no finger has to be moved to the top of the handle and away from a natural grip when activating the lock; a lot easier and safer (concerning remaining safely in the hand) with gloves; the typical "comp. lock closing pinch grip" is not really secure in that regard with cold, numb fingers
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think I have 8 or 9 different flavors of Military. On one hand it is my favorite knife and I hate to think of seeing it changing. On the other hand I don’t actually care because all my Military needs are met.

I would definitely give a comp lock Military a try but if it is just basically a Para4 then I’m not too excited. I expect full liners, a comp lock and a more pronounced choil. The Para2 lacks most of what I like about the Military but it just seems obvious that they will follow their best selling Para2 and Para3 with a Para4. Meh...

My only request is a Maxamet Military before it gets the axe. If not I would take one in K390 or 10V. Thanks! :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:11 pm
I think I have 8 or 9 different flavors of Military. On one hand it is my favorite knife and I hate to think of seeing it changing. On the other hand I don’t actually care because all my Military needs are met.

I would definitely give a comp lock Military a try but if it is just basically a Para4 then I’m not too excited. I expect full liners, a comp lock and a more pronounced choil. The Para2 lacks most of what I like about the Military but it just seems obvious that they will follow their best selling Para2 and Para3 with a Para4. Meh...

My only request is a Maxamet Military before it gets the axe. If not I would take one in K390 or 10V. Thanks! :D

Yes, now I recall, this has being discussed elsewhere already (perhaps by you anyway):

Just make the comp.lock "Millie" a Para 4 (or, Para 1, since with the Para higher digit means smaller) and leave the Millie as it is (maybe with a tip up option, but tip down is fine too on this model) [EDIT: Naming it Para 1 of course could lead to confunding it with the first Para Military version)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:42 pm
Sal already said they won't stop production of the liner lock.

Cool, must have missed this!! :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There's already enough comp locks out there, the good ole liner lock is becoming a rare feature with Spyderco. When I had my Military, I loved it with the liner lock! Very easy to use with gloves, had a great lock up with no blade play and that snap of the blade locking into place was a sound no other knife I had/have seems to make. I don't think there's any reason to change it honestly. But, I get it for Spyderco. The comp lock is fidgety/fun/reliable and lots of people out there just like to fidget. I'm sure sales show that!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

There are advantages to the Military as designed. We might CQI the model, but it will remain in the line with the current Linerlock even if there is a Military 2 with a Compression Lock.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:43 pm
There are advantages to the Military as designed. We might CQI the model, but it will remain in the line with the current Linerlock even if there is a Military 2 with a Compression Lock.

sal

Sal, thank you so much for your reply!! This is great! :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:37 pm
There's already enough comp locks out there, the good ole liner lock is becoming a rare feature with Spyderco. When I had my Military, I loved it with the liner lock! Very easy to use with gloves, had a great lock up with no blade play and that snap of the blade locking into place was a sound no other knife I had/have seems to make. I don't think there's any reason to change it honestly. But, I get it for Spyderco. The comp lock is fidgety/fun/reliable and lots of people out there just like to fidget. I'm sure sales show that!
I totally agree with all of this. I only have one Millie, but I think it's also the easiest/most comfortable liner lock I've owned. And with my smaller hands, I think a comp lock might be more awkward for me to reach on such a long handle. Will I give it a shot? Probably. But I'm totally happy with the current version, and so glad I have one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:37 pm

Glad you say and perceive this too! I mentioned something like this in my original post: That rich tone when it makes the "double click" when the lock engages - very nice and just "real millie-ish" :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:48 pm
^^ What VashHash said.

Rather subjectively, if I may say this... (in the sense that which one is "safer" depends what parameters one emphasizes) ;)
My 2c:

- Strength: Comp. lock most likely technically stronger than linerlock, but imho with no practical implication. Both more than strong enough
- "Fingers always out of the blade path": Comp.lock 1, liner lock 0, not doubt. But: Who really needs that feature on a knife with a choil? I never, ever did cut myself with a linerlock-knife in the closing process (even not with no choil models)
- Safety in hand while closing: Imho win for the linerlock, especially in harsh conditions: Normally larger area for the finger (lock "tab") than on a comp.lock; no finger has to be moved to the top of the handle and away from a natural grip when activating the lock; a lot easier and safer (concerning remaining safely in the hand) with gloves; the typical "comp. lock closing pinch grip" is not really secure in that regard with cold, numb fingers
My statement was based on operating the locks and the innate differences between them. We can assign a million different caveats to how each individual person operates each lock but based on the mechanical operation of the lock alone, not needing to put your fingers in the path of the closing blade will always be safer than requiring it.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

The biggest advantage of a comp lock Millie would be a possible improvement in ergonomics. The large cutout for accessing the lock and opening hole could probably be shrunken down a bit, giving it a more filling grip.
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

*Meanwhile, lefties just stare and wonder what these people are talking about... *

Of course I know, I know, there's *the* lefty version. But it doesn't come in the tough and fancy steels you righties have enjoyed so much lol! :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:43 pm

sal
Hi Sal, the CQI changes you guys recently made to the Military - larger lanyard hole, T8 body screws, etc. - are phenomenal and having used and loved the model for many years, I really appreciated the updates. I would just be happy to see a foliage green K390 one and dark gray Maxamet one! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I just want a new military sprint run.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like the Military’s liner lock. It’s the only liner lock design I will carry and use anymore.

That said, I would also enjoy seeing a Military 2 or PM4. It’ll probably be noticeably heavier than the standard Military.

Now that we know the standard liner lock version will be kept in the lineup, whether the Military is better off with a liner lock or a compression lock is strictly personal preference.

Jim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I wasn’t thrilled with the liner lock at first, but I’m perfectly happy with it now. What would be great is ambidextrous locks. And CRUWEAR.