All Time Great Spyderco Full SE models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

All Time Great Spyderco Full SE models?

Post by JD Spydo »

For all of us who have been Spyder-Heads for a while we most certainly all have our own favorite models. Lately I've been thinking hard about the possible TOP 10 best full SE Spyders of all time. There were a few of them that immediately popped in my head. Three that immediately hit me were the full SE versions of the C-60 Ayoob, C-54 Calypso, And the C-36 440V Military.

But my list could go on for a long time because I've had quite a few of Spyderco's great full SE models that I still dearly love to this very day. Some others that come to mind are my ATS-55, Stainless Handled RESCUE model :cool: . Needless to say the H-1 full SE SPYDERHAWK ranks high on my SE charts as well. Well that's enough to start the conversation.

So let's discuss what you all believe are thee best full SE models that Spyderco ever made. Or Your personal favorite Spyderco SE models?
ladybug93

Re: All Time Great Spyderco Full SE models?

Post by ladybug93 »

pacific salt. hands down best se knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pacific Salt overall, Endela SE concerning pure cutting power.
But tbh I have tried just few SE Spydies.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

My personal favorites (in no particular order):

Endela
SS Police
SS Harpy
SG Delica 4
Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Pacific Salt 1
Tasman Salt

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 am
pacific salt. hands down best se knife.
I gotta say and I've not yet owned or used one>> but over the past 5 years or so I've heard the Pacific Salt mentioned so many times that it's just got to be in the all time Top 5 for sure.

I've really liked all the Salt Series SE knives I've owned and used>> particularly the TASMAN and the Spyderhawk.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One of my ULTIMATE FAVORITE SE Spyders has been my Full SE TEMPERANCE 1 model. It really hurt my heart when Spyderco brought out the TEMP 2 and never offered it in SE :( Because that TEMP 1 in Full SE was the equivalent of a salt water crocodile of a knife :cool:

And I still can't quit talking about my Stainless Handled RESCUE model out of the ATS-55 era. ATS-55 is still about my favorite of all the blade steels for serrated blades. And that Stainless RESCUE was/is a mega-beast of a cutter. I still EDC it quite a bit. No retirement for that bad boy :cool:
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Civilian, Matriarch, Lil Matriarch
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ladybug Hawkbill
-Nick :bug-red
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Police, harpy, pacific salt, endura, rescue..

Pure cutting power with everything considered would be the shaman. The pe is already a cutting powerhouse but with the serrations its unstoppable. One of my personal favorite SE spydercos. I also love the para 3 SE. **** I like all spydercos better with SE.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

If Sal pops into this thread, I'm predicting one of his answers will be the Jumpmaster/Jumpmaster 2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T-1000 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:30 pm
Police, harpy, pacific salt, endura, rescue..

Pure cutting power with everything considered would be the shaman. The pe is already a cutting powerhouse but with the serrations its unstoppable. One of my personal favorite SE spydercos. I also love the para 3 SE. **** I like all spydercos better with SE.
Same here for the most part, performance wise! And I think the best cutters must be thinbladed spyderedge wharnies, like the Delica SE (2.5mm stock), but I never had one
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Does thre Dyad count?

If not, I'd say the Jester. Small knives seem to compound the performance increase of SE over PE.

Also, the SE Worker is a great knife. I would love to have an H1 version with pinned Stainless handles(like the old Mariner).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

1. H1 Spyderhawk
2. H1 Pacific Salt

PLEASE make the H1 SE Spyderhawk a permanent model in the lineup!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Old school SS Police,Pacific Salt1, Military, Harpy, Civilian, Jumpmaster, Dragonfly Salt, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt, Spyderhawk,
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:34 pm
If Sal pops into this thread, I'm predicting one of his answers will be the Jumpmaster/Jumpmaster 2.
Without a doubt the JUMPMASTER is in the upper tier of most serrated models. I would be willing to bet that when Sal designed the JUMPMASTER he first designed the TEMPERANCE 1 model that I mentioned earlier. And I'm betting that the concept was there already to move up in the caliber of a serrated blade that well equipped.

I'm willing to bet that the TEMP 1 is either the Grandfather or maybe the Uncle of the JUMPMASTER. Again the concept was there already. ;)

Yeah Brother I'm sure we're on the same page with that model :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:04 pm
Old school SS Police,Pacific Salt1, Military, Harpy, Civilian, Jumpmaster, Dragonfly Salt, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt, Spyderhawk,
The POLICE, C-36 Military, CIVILIAN, HARPY were pioneer models for Spyderco blades with TEETH :cool: And oh what a precedent that set!!

Not to mention some of the little models that have been mentioned. The Dragonfly, DragonflyHawk, Ladybug Hawk, and many other SE blades in that size range. Needless to say those smaller models have at least 8 times the capability as those same models in PE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:03 pm
Does thre Dyad count?

If not, I'd say the Jester. Small knives seem to compound the performance increase of SE over PE.

Also, the SE Worker is a great knife. I would love to have an H1 version with pinned Stainless handles(like the old Mariner).
That's a darn interesting question about the Dyad model. Because on my C-44 Dyad ( the big one) the sheepsfoot full SE blade with about 5 degrees of convex belly make that blade quite handy and a more aggressive cutter. I kind of wish my 3 RESCUE models had that extra little bit of belly to them.

That is a very good question and I would be inclined to say "YES!"
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Hey Reject is that "Whale Rescue" blade still available? If not when was it in the main line up?

I've never been able to get my hands on one of those. I would like to own one even if it's a used one. I've never even seen that model in any of the Spyderco catalogs :confused: . I'm sure it must be a special order type item for commercial fishermen or the Coast Guard.
Reject

Post by Reject »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:37 pm
Reject wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Hey Reject is that "Whale Rescue" blade still available? If not when was it in the main line up?

I've never been able to get my hands on one of those. I would like to own one even if it's a used one. I've never even seen that model in any of the Spyderco catalogs :confused: . I'm sure it must be a special order type item for commercial fishermen or the Coast Guard.

From Spydiewiki.

Information from the Spyderco catalog on the web
BWRSH1 Whale Rescue Blade

One of the tragic effects of commercial fishing efforts is the entanglement of whales in fishing nets and related rigging. As the entangled whales struggle to break free, the lines and nets are pulled taut, often resulting in serious injury and sometimes death. Fortunately, there are a number of wildlife conservation groups that specialize in rescuing these magnificent animals, but until a few years ago, their efforts were hampered because they did not have the proper tools for the job.

Douglas Coughran AM is the Senior Wildlife Officer, Marine Wildlife Operations, Department of Environment and Conservation, Nature Protection Branch, Western Australia. His teams specialize in saving entangled whales by approaching them with small inflatable rafts. Since the whales can approach 40 feet in length and weigh several tons, the teams use a 10-foot rescue pole with a blade at the end to cut away the lines entangling the frightened creature. Safely maneuvering a sharp blade at the end of a 10-foot pole in choppy seas is an incredibly demanding task. To ensure that his teams had the best possible tool for this job, Coughran contacted knifemaker Jim Steele to develop a design.

Steele knew that cutting tangled, water-soaked lines was a task best suited for a serrated edge and suggested that Coughran approach Spyderco, the pioneer in modern serration technology. In 2005, Coughran contacted Spyderco and explained his mission and his specialized needs. Spyderco embraced the project and created a custom-designed, SpyderEdge hawkbill blade with a blunt, rounded tip based on Steele’s design. Upon completion of the initial prototype, we sent the blade to Coughran to demonstrate it at Australia’s National Workshop for Large Whale Disentanglement. The Whale Rescue Blade was tested on 40mm and 50mm rope with extremely impressive results. Two days later, Coughran’s team received notification that a 10-meter Humpback whale had become entangled and immobilized by two sets of pot gear. They responded with the Whale Rescue Blade in hand, meticulously addressing the rope wraps and freeing the whale with five key cuts.

Since that initial rescue, Spyderco’s Whale Rescue blade has been used numerous times to save the lives of endangered marine life. Currently, dozens of Whale Rescue Blades are currently in service in Australia, France, Canada, South Africa, Alaska, Hawaii, and the Pacific and Atlantic coasts of the U.S.

The original Whale Rescue Blade was made from 440C stainless steel. It featured a long, sweeping hawkbill profile with a blunt, rounded tip. This allows the blade to be gently maneuvered under tangled lines without endangering the whale. Once in place, the combination of its fully-serrated SpyderEdge and the strategic curve of the blade’s profile creates a tremendously powerful cutting action that easily severs even thick, water-soaked lines with minimal effort.

Because of its unique purpose, the Whale Rescue Blade had traditionally been an extremely limited item offered only to wildlife conservation organizations. However, based largely on interest from military special operations units, in 2012 Spyderco decided to increase production and make it commercially available. The commercial version retains all the salient qualities of the original, but with the added benefit of being made from H-1 steel. H-1 is a unique nitrogen-based austenitic steel that is completely impervious to rust, and therefore the ultimate material for this one-of-a-kind blade.

Spyderco is extremely proud of the Whale Rescue Blade project and our role in supporting the wildlife conservation organizations that rescue these amazing animals.

:( It was on the discontinued list last year.

https://youtu.be/Q1EIIDlAdK0
How much can a Koala bear?