All Time Great Spyderco Full SE models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: All Time Great Spyderco Full SE models?

Post by sal »

Thanx Reject.

We will be making a similar model in the future.

sal
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Atlantic salt. Much more useful than the pacific salt.
Reject

Post by Reject »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:51 pm
Thanx Reject.

We will be making a similar model in the future.

sal

https://youtu.be/SR0mznc3gg0
How much can a Koala bear?
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Caribbean should be high on the list IMHO. I enjoy the sheepfoot version a lot. I think I would like the Military, the Native Chief and the Spyderhawk as well. Oh and the Manix XL.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

Blnd wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:52 am
Atlantic salt. Much more useful than the pacific salt.
+1!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kobold wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:16 am
The Caribbean should be high on the list IMHO. I enjoy the sheepfoot version a lot. I think I would like the Military, the Native Chief and the Spyderhawk as well. Oh and the Manix XL.
I couldn't agree more with your picks. Especially the SpyderHawk>> the pull cutting efficiency of serrated Hawkbill blades has been largely overlooked even by the most avid of knife fans. But when I discovered how great full SE Hawkbill blades worked in urgent situations I've been hooked on them as companion blades ever since.

Sadly I find little use anymore for plain edged Hawkbills but Spyderedged or any other serration pattern on a Hawkbill blade make it an awesome viable choice for a companion blade to your main EDC. I'm going to add "Reverse S" and "recurve" blades to that list as well. However SE Hawkbill blades have advantages that few other knife designs have.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Yeah, even the smaller Tasman Salt SE is super efficient in the garden as long as the weeds are also on the smaller side. Larger blades will work for larger canes, cattail and woody vines.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Since I missed out on the original Military, I will go with my full SE PM2 (pictured above)

I would like to have the full SE Military in my list (*hint hint, wink wink), but a full SE has not been made for many many years.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hopweaver wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:59 am
Since I missed out on the original Military, I will go with my full SE PM2 (pictured above)

I would like to have the full SE Military in my list (*hint hint, wink wink), but a full SE has not been made for many many years.
I guess it's fair to say that "SALES" dictate what gets to be kept in the main line up. But with the Military and Para2 both I would at least have kept about 10% of all those units made to be available in full SE.

In other words there are just some Spyders that are absolutely meant to be available in SE. I couldn't imagine the original Stainless POLICE or any of the RESCUE models not available in SE. Case Closed!
Reject

Post by Reject »

Was there ever much feed back on how well ZDP-189 steel worked for Serrated blades?

How much can a Koala bear?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Reject wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 am
Was there ever much feed back on how well ZDP-189 steel worked for Serrated blades?

It was said that the tips broke off more easily on ZDP-189 serrations. I have not used mine enough to notice.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The Wharncliffe Delica in SE gets my vote. FFG blade, and the serrations on the one I got were more rounded, and cut like a laser.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Lil’ Matriarch is my personal favorite SE Spyderco. :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 pm
I'm ashamed to say that I've never owned a Lil Matriarch. I've got two Matriarchs and 1 Civi but no Lil Matriarch. That's going to get fixed very soon.

Hey REJECT>> Spyderco quit making serrated blades with ZDP-189. They had trouble with them in the early going. They had teeth chipping really bad in that steel. That's a problem with a blade steel with that high of a Rockwell Hardness.

I'm very encouraged to hear from so many owners of Hawkbills, Reverse S blades and some specialty type blades all in SE.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only flat saber-ground Spydie I really like is the full SE D4 (mine is VG-10). It’s very underrated, but it cuts like a demon.

Jim
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Stretch 1
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:23 pm
elena86 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:04 pm
Old school SS Police,Pacific Salt1, Military, Harpy, Civilian, Jumpmaster, Dragonfly Salt, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt, Spyderhawk,
The POLICE, C-36 Military, CIVILIAN, HARPY were pioneer models for Spyderco blades with TEETH :cool: And oh what a precedent that set!!

Not to mention some of the little models that have been mentioned. The Dragonfly, DragonflyHawk, Ladybug Hawk, and many other SE blades in that size range. Needless to say those smaller models have at least 8 times the capability as those same models in PE.

My Dragonhawk is a little beast indeed. I love it so much that I bought a second one.I allways carry a Ladyhawk on my keychain and a Dragonhawk in my fifth pocket. They are the ultimate package ripers. I once opened a package with my Dragonhawk, in front of a non-knife friend and I remember he was blown away by the efficiency of my little companion. Ever since, he keeps asking me “what is that, where did you you find such a cool little knife...” ; he, he it’s a sure sign he was spyderized :D :spyder: He’s in for a nice surprize for his birthday I guess 😉
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Blades

Post by Blades »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:16 am
One of my ULTIMATE FAVORITE SE Spyders has been my Full SE TEMPERANCE 1 model. It really hurt my heart when Spyderco brought out the TEMP 2 and never offered it in SE :( Because that TEMP 1 in Full SE was the equivalent of a salt water crocodile of a knife :cool:

And I still can't quit talking about my Stainless Handled RESCUE model out of the ATS-55 era. ATS-55 is still about my favorite of all the blade steels for serrated blades. And that Stainless RESCUE was/is a mega-beast of a cutter. I still EDC it quite a bit. No retirement for that bad boy :cool:
I'm still looking for a full serrated Temperance. One of these days... :)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

BYRD HAWKBILL
Caribbean
Native 5 (the serrated native 5 is about the best hard use work knife in my not so humble opinion)
Endela
Delica wharncliffe/salt 2 wharncliffe
Pacific salt (both h1 and lc200n)

A serrated Manix XL would be dope.

Edit* should probably add the rock jumper in here as well but I honestly haven’t used it much lately.
Last edited by prndltech on Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 pm

I have wanted a serrated lil matriarch for a long time and have never been able to find one :cool:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006