Lifespan of G-10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knife__bro69

Lifespan of G-10?

Post by knife__bro69 »

Do you guys have any experience with G10 over a long period of time? Or do you know how long this material should last with daily use? Id love to know! :D
Pancake

Re: Lifespan of G-10?

Post by Pancake »

Do you mean like texture getting worn? Yes, it will happend in some years, it will get smoother.
But other than that, it will not rot, or corrode, or dissolve, or shrink, or vanish....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:20 am
Do you mean like texture getting worn? Yes, it will happend in some years, it will get smoother.
But other than that, it will not rot, or corrode, or dissolve, or shrink, or vanish....
I just mean wear, corrosion, etc. Anything that would “age” it basically.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

No, corrosion of liners would not affect G10.
One thing that I just think about is when you have linerless construction with washers directly on G10. That could maybe I dug some wear, but my Chief is still in perfect condition.
If you don't throw your knife into fire, I don't think there is something that could affect life of G10
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Pancake wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:58 am
No, corrosion of liners would not affect G10.
One thing that I just think about is when you have linerless construction with washers directly on G10. That could maybe I dug some wear, but my Chief is still in perfect condition.
If you don't throw your knife into fire, I don't think there is something that could affect life of G10
Wow thats impressive 😯
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Top carried and used every day for 15 years.
Bottom never carried or used.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:13 am
Do you guys have any experience with G10 over a long period of time? Or do you know how long this material should last with daily use? Id love to know! :D
These are scales from my 7yr old Manix 2 when I cleaned them last month.

Before
20201215_180041_kindlephoto-1671397004.jpg
After
20201215_183301.jpg
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

G10 is like death and taxes...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

G-10 will effectively last forever. You can smooth and polish it, but unless you're taking a sander to it (which I've done quite a lot of in the past month) you're not going to wear it out. And if you like the rough texture you can rough it up with a file (or carefully with 30 grit sandpaper) again.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It was designed for circuit boards and is mainly intended to be both heat and chemical resistant as well as having low conductivity.

The peel ply texture will wear a little and lose some bite. It can also chip or dent if dropped. In general it is fairly abrasion resistant and fairly tough though. Other than that just don’t soak it in acetone or throw it in a fire. It will resist most lesser solvents as well as most reasonable temperatures.

With reasonable care it will outlast you.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If you get some "Ballistol" at a local hardware store or sporting goods store and give your G-10 handles periodic treatments with it your G-10 handled knives will last indefinitely. I've even seen scratches and dings heal up using that Ballistol. Now a lot of guys complain that the BALLISTOL has a bit of an offensive odor. And it does have a bit of a chemical smell to it. But if you store your knives properly that smell will dissipate pretty quickly.

When I accidentally discovered how good BALLISTOL is for G-10 handles back around 2005 I have never used anything else since. And I use BALLISTOL for a wide range of uses on firearms, fishing reels and several of my other toys. It's great stuff and there are websites and videos on it's uses. Also get the big bulk 16 ounce cans>> the aerosol spray cans cost about 7 times as much.

I just take a soft bristle toothbrush ( usually an Oral B) and gently brush the G-10 until it gets a nice smooth wet look to it. If you do it right your G-10 handles will look new and will be protected from the elements.
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Thanks for all the awesome answers. It sounds like g10 is a pretty insane material!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Prolonged exposure to unfiltered sunlight can damage the epoxy resin that forms the G-10 matrix. The ultraviolet component breaks down the plastic. Pigment, especially black pigment, will greatly extend the life of G-10 exposed to UV. It limits the damage to the top surface.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

The lifespan is yes.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:04 am
It is certain? It is a sure thing? o.O
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It doesn’t seem to shrink at all so I think it can last indefinitely if not exposed to UV constantly. Holds up to abuse pretty well too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:47 pm
Thanks for all the awesome answers. It sounds like g10 is a pretty insane material!

It is! I think G10 and FRN (which I even prefer) are pretty undestructable in any only remotely realistic scenario (and discussions on which one of the two materials is even stronger, are only of theoretical value imho).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:07 pm
Prolonged exposure to unfiltered sunlight can damage the epoxy resin that forms the G-10 matrix. The ultraviolet component breaks down the plastic. Pigment, especially black pigment, will greatly extend the life of G-10 exposed to UV. It limits the damage to the top surface.
Bill I seriously believe that a periodic treatment with Ballistol will prevent any UV damage that could occur. I've been treating all of my G-10 handled knives with it and they all look to be in great condition to this day. An old RENEGADE model I had from the early 2000s that I traded a couple of years ago looked just as new as it did the day I got it. And I attribute that to my regular treatments of Ballistol.

And I'm sure there are more products other than Ballistol that will also render UV protection for G-10 or any other materials that could be affected by UV. And typically most knife handles don't see a great deal of sunlight anyway.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Donut wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:41 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:04 am
It is certain? It is a sure thing? o.O
An indefinite constant. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm a little skeptical that G10 will last a lifetime. Same with FRCP and FRN, but especially FRCP. I used to do a lot of thrifting, garage sales, estate sales, etc. buying vintage items and reselling on eBay. Vintage rubbers and plastics being deteriorated was a VERY common occurrence. I get that these scale materials are not exactly plastics or rubbers, but I wouldn't doubt that they will suffer the same fate over time. There is a reason child car seats have an expiration date.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red