Spyder Classics: The C-39 Dyad Jr. ( Micarta & FRN)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-39 Dyad Jr. ( Micarta & FRN)

Post by JD Spydo »

When I got on Ebay for the first time back in 2004 the Micarta version of the C-39 Dyad Jr. was the first Spyderco knife I got off of that site. I got desperate and sold that knife in 2009 during a really hard financial time I was hit with and it's one of my biggest regrets of my "Knife Life" :cool: . It still bothers me when I think about it :(

I've also owned a few of the FRN models including some of the collector editions. When I sold my Micarta Dyad Jr I also had to sell my Burgundy and Teal ( blue) versions that were pretty rare at the time. I've said for years that Spyderco is not only the "King of Serrations", they are also the "King of Small Knives" as well. And the Dyad Jr. C-39 is a big example of that.

You hardly ever run across any of the little Dyad models anymore and that's unfortunate. Now there was a Sprint run of a Micro Dyad and if I remember right it was done with Stag handles. My ultimate hope is the the concept of the Dyad or any double bladed Spyder for that matter is to continue again at some point. So let's talk about a little known Spyder Classic the C-39 Dyad Jr.
brj

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-39 Dyad Jr. ( Micarta & FRN)

Post by brj »

I have had the black pearl Micro Dyad and gifted it to my mother. Lovely little folder. She carries it in her purse and uses it quite frequently. A bit on the small side for me, for my uses the Jr. would be the most apt candidate for a resurrection (feels like the full size model might be a bit bulky, but that is purely my subjective perception from checking out specs)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I lost three of the Micarta C39s before I stopped carrying them. I suspect seat belts were snagging the clips and picking my pockets. Of all the Dyads, the Micarta 39 is my favorite just because it doesn't have the by-pass lock that confuses my fingers when closing the blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

brj wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 am
I have had the black pearl Micro Dyad and gifted it to my mother. Lovely little folder. She carries it in her purse and uses it quite frequently. A bit on the small side for me, for my uses the Jr. would be the most apt candidate for a resurrection (feels like the full size model might be a bit bulky, but that is purely my subjective perception from checking out specs)
Yeah I'm with you there. As much as I would love to find more C-39 Dyad Jr. models for my main collection I doubt if I would ever carry or EDC one.

Also the Dyad jr. like many other past Spyderco model really gained popularity when they were discontinued. But it's been quite a while since I've seen any up for sale or trade. About two years after they were discontinued they became literally impossible to find anymore.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Still looking for the VG-10 Sprint, no dice so far. :(

I've considered the Micarta version a few time. But, I can't find one for the right price. Once the number goes past a certain point, I have trouble using them like a knife should be used.

Atleast I have all these Micros to keep me company. :D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:58 pm

I've considered the Micarta version a few time. But, I can't find one for the right price. Once the number goes past a certain point, I have trouble using them like a knife should be used.

Yeah I get what you're saying. That's why so many of these older, super classic models need Sprint Runs. Because the Collector prices of some of these past models is borderline outrageous.

As many people here that are crazy about many of Spyderco's smaller models this would be a perfect Sprint Run. And I wouldn't stop at 1200 pieces either.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:40 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Yeah I get what you're saying. That's why so many of these older, super classic models need Sprint Runs. Because the Collector prices of some of these past models is borderline outrageous.

As many people here that are crazy about many of Spyderco's smaller models this would be a perfect Sprint Run. And I wouldn't stop at 1200 pieces either.
Either one, Sprint it out!

I do have one weird complaint about the Micarta Dyad Jr.
I wish it didn't have a clip...

I don't know why, but the Dyad Jr and Micro are two knives that I would never carry clipped. To me they are "tosser" knives(sorry, U.K. brothers), just toss them in a pocket and go.

One of my dreams is a clipless, bolstered, inlayed Dyad Jr. If they were to do a Jr version of the Jigged Bone Micro...

I would lose my mind! :eek: :eek:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Would love to see pics of the Micarta version.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Cscottsss, Here they are ... :)
C39P&S Dyad Jr. 103.JPG
C39P&S Dyad Jr. 105.JPG
C39P&S Dyad Jr. 106.JPG
C39P&S Dyad Jr. 101.JPG
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:06 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:40 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Either one, Sprint it out!

I do have one weird complaint about the Micarta Dyad Jr.
I wish it didn't have a clip...

I don't know why, but the Dyad Jr and Micro are two knives that I would never carry clipped. To me they are "tosser" knives(sorry, U.K. brothers), just toss them in a pocket and go.

One of my dreams is a clipless, bolstered, inlayed Dyad Jr. If they were to do a Jr version of the Jigged Bone Micro...

I would lose my mind! :eek: :eek:
Yeah a lot of people don't like pocketclips on these smaller models. Myself I like the clip even on the smaller models. But I rarely EDC anything smaller than a Para2. The one exception is when I used to EDC my Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly Jr. That was one small knife that I could get a lot done with. You could get that ZDP Caly Jr so sharp that it kind of made up for it's lack in size. But still I like the Pocketclips. I also remember the KIWI model I think it was that never had a clip either.

I guess the reason I love the pocket clips so much is because I lost so many of my BUCK, CASE, Ka-Bar and Schrade knives over the years that didn't have the clips. It just seems like those knives are so much easier to lose.

But what the heck> You can always remove the clip if that what makes you happy. Those pocket clips have saved me hundreds of dollars in the past 30 years or so.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

@Peter1960, thanks for sharing. Very cool
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have this one in my stuff somewhere
I like it but it carries best in the small pocket of your jeans and if I get a deep pocket carry clip for it I may carry it some more.
Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:33 pm
Cscottsss, Here they are ... :)

C39P&S Dyad Jr. 103.JPG

C39P&S Dyad Jr. 105.JPG

C39P&S Dyad Jr. 106.JPG

C39P&S Dyad Jr. 101.JPG
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

That is a nice picture from the Dyad-duo RS! I really like it!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:16 pm
That is a nice picture from the Dyad-duo RS! I really like it!
Peter I've seen probably at least 30 to 40 premium grade, double bladed knives in my lifetime and over the years since I've been a knife enthusiast. But to this day I've never yet seen any double- bladed knife I like even nearly as good as I do the C-44 or C-39 Dyad models. Sal Glesser is a design genius. We talk about a lot of different top name knife designers. But Spyderco has two "IN HOUSE" designers named Sal & Eric Glesser and I love the designs that both of them have done over the years.

I can't wait to see what other double-bladed model that they come out with.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Did the Dyad have a pocket clip? It looks a bit thick, like a Buck 110. Still, can't beat the utility of two blades. Very cool.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:22 pm
Did the Dyad have a pocket clip? It looks a bit thick, like a Buck 110. Still, can't beat the utility of two blades. Very cool.
The Micro and FRN Jrs did not. I think all the rest had clips.

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:22 pm
Both the Micarta versions of the Dyad Jr. models did. There were a few of the older Spyderco models that didn't have pocketclips. The KIWI comes to mind.

Again my message to people who don't like the Pocketclip on this model or any other model. Just simply unscrew it and remove it if you don't want it. But there are a lot of us who do like the clips.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The micarta debacle is really a shame. I love spydercos with the black linen Micarta. Luckily I have a large micarta dyad but I'd definitely buy a salt version if they made one. Be my go to beach knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:36 am
The micarta debacle is really a shame. I love spydercos with the black linen Micarta. Luckily I have a large micarta dyad but I'd definitely buy a salt version if they made one. Be my go to beach knife.
The deep desire for a Salt Series Dyad has been one of my biggest wishes over the years. They actually had a prototype at one time but I heard that the manufacturing costs were too big. That's what I heard anyway not 100% sure of it.

Yeah my Micarta C-44,ATS-55 Dyad ( User and collector piece) are two of my permanent models. Again I do hope at some point we see a completely new double-bladed Spyder.