Manix 2 LW needs an update badly.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Manix 2 LW needs an update badly.

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

The Manix is, at it's heart, a tool designed for people who need to cut a lot of material a lot of the time. It has a nice thin blade, the ergos are amazing with a hand-filling handle with a finger choil that allows for great control over a relatively short cutting edge. The ball bearing lock combines strengths of axis-style locks and back locks, making it strong, robust, and easy to use. The spyderhole and lock mechanism are extremely accessible, even for gloved hands. This makes for a knife that is big in the pocket despite its relatively short cutting edge, so it's really a good choice for people who are going to have a knife out of their pocket more than in the pocket.

The Manix 2 LW in its standard BD1N steel just doesn't quite live up to the potential of the design. I have both the G10 knife in S390 and the FRCP knife in BD1N. The LW version is, as advertised, extremely lightweight for a knife its size, and of course has basically the same ergonomics, although I think the wire clip is a lil less of a hot spot than the spoon clip on the G10 version.

The problem with the BD1N steel is that for a knife that is designed to do a *lot* of cutting, with a relatively short blade, you're really testing the edge retention of the knife, and in my experience BD1N just doesn't hold up. If I'm doing a lot of cutting, I would like for the knife to still have a good slicing edge at the end of the day as at the beginning, and I found the BD1N on my LW to develop both microchips *and* rolled edges when doing a lot of cutting on dirty cardboard (which I know is hard on edges, but let's be real that's what a lot of people are going to be cutting on a frequent basis).

My M390, on the other hand, holds up just fine to this kind of use. I know that they try to keep costs down on LW models with less expensive steels, but I wish the base steel for the knife were S30vn or S35vn. If they can make an S35vn Tenacious for under $100, I think they should be able to do similar with the Manix.

Further, the fact that the LW knife cannot be disassembled also takes away from the "this is a serious tool" factor. I get why Spyderco would discourage this for ball bearing locks, because they are kinda tricky to disassemble and reassemble correctly when compared to other lock mechanisms, but being able to maintain the pivot easily is important to me.

I think the fact that it is an injection molded component should enable some ergonomic upgrades. I think it could benefit a lot from having rounded corners similar to the other knives with injection-molded handles, I also wish it shipped with a deep carry clip, as I find deep carry to make it take up less room near the entrance of my pocket, and to be a little more ergonomic in the hand.

So yeah, I think that it's a great design with a flawed execution that could be tweaked just a bit to make it closer in functional capability to its G10 brother.
Wartstein

Re: Manix 2 LW needs an update badly.

Post by Wartstein »

You do know that the Manix LW also comes in S110V and Spy 27 as a regular production knife? EDIT: AND Maxamet?!
Plus that there are sprint and exclusive versions in even more steels, for example the great REX45?

And I have to say: BD1N performs better in my LW than I would have expected!
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

There are a couple options for long edge holding - both the CPM S110V and the Maxamet Manix's are regular production knives.

I'm with you 100% on replacing rivets with screws.

Edit: Wartstein beat me to it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: My take on the Manix 2 ergos:

Yes, it is indeed a great knife (quoting you) "for people who need to cut a lot of material a lot of the time"!
But for me that is true for frequent use (so doing a lot of shorter tasks), but not so much extended/prolongued use. When used "harder" for lets say 15 or more minutes without much breaks, the Manix can get uncomfortable and is (in my hand) more likely to create hotspots than for example my Stretch 1 - that being said, for normal pocket knife use the Manix has just perfect ergos, but for extended use you are right: It would be better if the scales where more rounded.

I can just guess (cause I don´t have one) that this could perhaps be even more true for the G10 version, due to the open back and more pronounced jimping - ?!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:09 pm

Further, the fact that the LW knife cannot be disassembled also takes away from the "this is a serious tool" factor. I get why Spyderco would discourage this for ball bearing locks, because they are kinda tricky to disassemble and reassemble correctly when compared to other lock mechanisms, but being able to maintain the pivot easily is important to me.

I think the fact that it is an injection molded component should enable some ergonomic upgrades. I think it could benefit a lot from having rounded corners similar to the other knives with injection-molded handles, I also wish it shipped with a deep carry clip, as I find deep carry to make it take up less room near the entrance of my pocket, and to be a little more ergonomic in the hand.

So yeah, I think that it's a great design with a flawed execution that could be tweaked just a bit to make it closer in functional capability to its G10 brother.
This has been said countless times here and in BF and in the FB groups lol. :D

Love the Manix design, dislike the non-disassembly especially for non-stainless steels like Maxamet and REX45, and the FRN could use some sculpting like the Para 3 LW. (wonder how many times I've said this here?) :D

The other points, I don't agree with, BD1N is totally fine especially for the LW's price point. No problems with the steel whatsoever. I think it's great with the LW's intended purpose. Like Wartstein and Meat Man said, this knife has a lot of steel options going for it. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

My S110v M2 cuts for days including through fish
metaphoricalsimile

I think the problem with the S110V and Maxamet Manix LW knives is that they are quite expensive. As is the SPY27 (considering the relative "tier" of the steel it is overpriced because it is new), relative to what they could sell the knife for in S30V.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:54 pm

Yes, it is indeed a great knife (quoting you) "for people who need to cut a lot of material a lot of the time"!
But for me that is true for frequent use (so doing a lot of shorter tasks), but not so much extended/prolongued use. When used "harder" for lets say 15 or more minutes without much breaks, the Manix can get uncomfortable and is (in my hand) more likely to create hotspots than for example my Stretch 1 - that being said, for normal pocket knife use the Manix has just perfect ergos, but for extended use you are right: It would be better if the scales where more rounded.

I can just guess (cause I don´t have one) that this could perhaps be even more true for the G10 version, due to the open back and more pronounced jimping - ?!
You need to try the XL ;)
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have zero issues with the ergos and love the edge retention of my lw manix, but i was fortunate enough to get one in xhp. i stand with you on the pinned construction though. in my mind, it's the only thing wrong with an otherwise perfect (for me) knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:54 pm

You need to try the XL ;)
I second this. I though the manix was as good as it could be. Then I got an XL...
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:09 pm
When I saw your title, I thought, "My Manixes are great the way they are! Don't change anything!" But it turns out you have a couple good points. Dumping the rivets should be first, of course. A deep carry clip would be another bonus. While the rounded edges seem appealing, I like the slab sides for directional control. Rounding the edges might necessitate other changes as it would goof up the aesthetics of the bi-directional pattern on the FRCP, and would interfere with screws/rivets They can't get rid of the bi-directional pattern. It's a great feature.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Interesting discussion. May I weigh in?

>>> This makes for a knife that is big in the pocket despite its relatively short cutting edge

True. If you look at blade/handle ratio it’s not bad, near the middle of the curve. If you look at edge/handle ratio it’s farther away from the mean due to the large finger choil. Graphics below are histograms of ratios of a sample of 40 current knives, and M = Manix.

>>> The problem with the BD1N steel

As mentioned, lots of alternatives. I own a half dozen Manii, and none are BD1N.

>>> My M390, on the other hand,

Sure, but rustable tool steels are more problematic in a pinned knife, yes?

>>> being able to maintain the pivot easily is important to me.

Agreed. Would be nice.

>>> I think it could benefit a lot from having rounded corners similar to the other knives with injection-molded handles,

Probably disagree, would not want the (1) thinner sharper edges that could result from tapering or (2) a bulking up of the handle a la Shaman. I like a rectangular cross section grip, and handles that are slim and trim. I'm with Rusty on this: Love the volcano waffle grip on flat scales.

>>> I also wish it shipped with a deep carry clip,

Agreed, me too, but I believe it can take one of Spyderco’s other deep carry wire clips (not sure which, but have been told so). Make it harder to draw, for sure, and this is a working knife that you'd need to draw frequently. For the city, with a knife as large as the Manix, I want it as hidden as possible.

>>> I think that it's a great design with a flawed execution

Oh, hardly “flawed.” I understand making a bold statement gets the conversation running, but that’s rather overstated. These elements represent tradeoffs and some tradeoffs may suit one person and not another. I think the Manix is a highly refined design, a “big Caly” (my standard of perfection). Yes, I’d like a slimmer more compact handle but that’s just me. There are likely others who would want a larger handle! If you look back on the evolution of designs, you’ll see that the next version is not always to the market’s liking…sometimes previous versions are more popular. But the “between people variance” certainly outweighs the “between versions variance.”
Attachments
edge.png
blade.png
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metaphoricalsimile

Bolster wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:12 pm

I appreciate your well-thought out comment, but I have a quibble here: M390 is highly rust resistant, on par with S30V. Are you getting it mixed up with K390?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:17 pm
Bolster wrote:

I appreciate your well-thought out comment, but I have a quibble here: M390 is highly rust resistant, on par with S30V. Are you getting it mixed up with K390?

I think I am. So much for "well thought out!" Point I wanted to make was the pinned knives work best with a lo maintenance stainless IMO.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bolster wrote:
Interesting discussion. May I weigh in?

>>
I think you are confusing this with K390.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Obviously this is a cardinal sin, to have it mentioned twice in a row, and even after acknowledgment of error. How can I right this grievous wrong?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I vote for more ergonomic, contoured scales and screw construction wouldn't bother me a bit. BD1N works fine for me as does the current clip.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

A more contoured scales, yes, why not.
Screw construction...not sure. I disassemble my Manix 2 REX45 once or twice and honestly, I can see why they just pinned it together.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Contoured screwed handles would be great. Bd1n is affordable and easy to sharpen. It has its place but I do agree M390 is amazing
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Some more replies and my personal thoughts to what´s been said here:

- Large size in the pocket:
Depends. For me width in the pocket is not an issue at all (since my rfp is reserved only for my knife normally), length (too long) can be though. The Manix feels small in the pocket for me since it is rather short, and luckily does NOT have a deep carry clip.
Furthermore, since carrying the LW a lot, I found something that might sound weird at first: A knife that very light for its size feels more stable in the pocket and tends to "bounce" less for example in running shorts, than a knife that is heavy for its size. And the Manix LW is not a particularly light knife generally for the edge you get, but it certainly is for its overall footprint, Good thing for me.

- Deep carry clip
As said, I am glad it has none. Other than having/wanting to conceil a knife I never understood the value of deep carry clips in knives larger than lets say the Chap (just my 2c of course). And the Manix LW sits very deep in the pocket anyway with the current clip-

- Pinned construction
I´d have nothing against screws instead, but that being said: I personally never had any reason to disassemble the three LW Manixes I had/have. Though I´ll admit: I´d like to, just out of interest for the inside construction.