Manix 2 LW needs an update badly.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Manix 2 LW needs an update badly.

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:28 pm
How would you round the corners of the handle substantially without running into the rivets (screws)? If I were to sand the (already somewhat rounded) corners of my LW Manix handle, I'd be hitting the heads of the rivets in short order.

If you make more room on the handle for a larger radiused corner, you'd need a bigger handle, which IMO is not what the Manix needs for pocket carry...it's already borderline for me.

If a pocket knife is causing hot spots in your hand because you're using it for long periods, I'd recommend getting a non-pocketable knife with a big comfy handle for that job.

You are right of course, but there are still Spydies that are better suited for that kind of use than others. In my "tests" the Stretch, though being actually smaller and less tall in the handle than the Manix 2 LW, does better in that very specific scenario (longer, "hard" use - clearly less hotspots)

But you are also right: In 99 % of the cases (whenever possible that is) one would not choose a pocket knife for such tasks anyway, and so then Manix IS a more or less perfect EDC knife and very comfortable in any normal pocket knife use.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

I asked Eric to design the Manix to meet a particular need. I think he did an excellent job. Then he developed the caged ball, which I think improved on the model. Personally, I have no problem with the pinned LW. If fact, I'm packing the SPY27 version right now.

Eric decided to convert to screws due the requests from you. We're also retooling the Caly 3.5 LW to be screw construction, again, due to your requests.

Folding knives, even with non stainless blades have been made pinned for a century and many are still being made this way. Not everyone is a tinkerer. We have many early knives made pinned that are still in use 40 years later.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:57 pm

Eric decided to convert to screws due the requests from you. We're also retooling the Caly 3.5 LW to be screw construction, again, due to your requests

sal
Thank you Sal and Eric
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
If fact, I'm packing the SPY27 version right now.

You hear that, people? Sal and I are packing the same knife...yeah! Me and Sal, we go way back, you know. (OK, OK, have never met the gentleman, but would like to.)
sal wrote:
We're also retooling the Caly 3.5 LW to be screw construction, again, due to your requests.

I thought I'd read one of Sal's posts long ago, explaining the way they kept the Caly slim was by using rivets not screws. I wonder if Spyderco will be able to keep the Caly as trim as it is now, with screw construction? Hope so! And a Caly 3.5 LW? A dream come true.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Oh man, that is some great news about the Caly 3.5 LW!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Guys, just btw, when the screw construction Manix comes out, you can send all the obsolete pinned Manixes to my address :D :D :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:39 am
Guys, just btw, when the screw construction Manix comes out, you can send all the obsolete pinned Manixes to my address :D :D :D
I’ll second that lol
The utility or merit of screws is undeniable, but I like pins just fine.
Speaking of screws, while this may offhanded, I would really prefer flush screws on pocket clips.
It’s almost purely aesthetic and really petty, I know, but it’s my preference.

Anyway, looking forward to the Caly 3.5 LW!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

And another thing. If the scales are more rounded/chamfered on the edges, that actually REDUCES the area of high pressure contact with the hand, putting more pressure on a smaller area. But as the Manix is designed now (with a modest roundover/chamfer), hand contact is spread over a wider area. I vote keep the edge roundover as is; it makes logical sense. Eric knows what he's doing.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Thread hijack warning!

Can't wait for the Caly 3.5 LW! Staying in Japan, moving to Taichung, or is there a chance it will be made in Golden? Linerless LW back lock from Golden! Like the Native in terms of tolerances! With wireclip! That would definitely scratch my PM2 LW itch.

Screw construction LW Manix, I will be getting one of these as well!
Peter
araneae

Post by araneae »

I guess you guys have lego hands, oh wait, even legos have curved hands...

Never thought there'd be people voting against ergonomics, although lots of people fear change.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Never thought there'd be people voting against ergonomics, although lots of people fear change.

I also think it at least can´t hurt to round the edges of the Manix 2 LW just a bit:

Both my Enduras and Stretches have even a tiny bit thinner handles than the Manix LW, and their (Stretch / Endura) edges at the top of the handle are just a bit rounded - really not much, but more than on a Manix.
So, they should have a bit "reduced surface area" as has been mentions before, but in prolongued hard cutting (thick cardboard or the like) both are clearly more comfortable in the palm area than the Manix LW.

To be fair: That has not necessarily be due to the rounded edges, but could be partly to the overall different handle shapes. But I don´t think so.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

araneae wrote:

I haven't really had an issue with the Manix LW scales. I do love the FRN when I'm cutting fish. Lots of grip even with wet, bloody and slimy hands.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

araneae wrote:

Hey! LEGO hands are only round to make it easier for them to hold things!
Oh wait... :p
Lol, for me personally, I don’t really mind either way, just like with the screws.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
araneae

Post by araneae »

NarwhalisnotKosher wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:38 pm
araneae wrote:

I haven't really had an issue with the Manix LW scales. I do love the FRN when I'm cutting fish. Lots of grip even with wet, bloody and slimy hands.
Its FRCP, not FRN.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

araneae wrote:

Never thought anyone would consider the Manix "not ergonomic," although I won't insinuate irrational emotionalism as the reason some people do.

That said, my main concern is that the handle not get taller, thicker & fatter. I won't stop buying Manii if the corners are a bit more rounded, but I would look to other knives if it got much larger in the pocket. I really like the Manix. I liked the original Manix, I like Manix 2, and I adore Manix 2 LW. I think it's a genius knife.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

araneae wrote:

:rolleyes:

Or some people like different things? Kinda basic. Variety is good. Variety is why many of us like Spyderco so much.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

People have to look at how Spyderco managed to round off the corners of the Para3 LW vs the Para3 g10 to see that rounding off the corners doesn't necessarily translate into a thicker, fatter knife.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:51 am
And another thing. If the scales are more rounded/chamfered on the edges, that actually REDUCES the area of high pressure contact with the hand, putting more pressure on a smaller area. But as the Manix is designed now (with a modest roundover/chamfer), hand contact is spread over a wider area. I vote keep the edge roundover as is; it makes logical sense. Eric knows what he's doing.

I have to disagree:

1.) Technically rounding / chamfering of a more or less 90 degree edge can even enlarge the contact area for the hand, depending on how exactly the rounding is done. Just the flat surface area will be reduced, but the round(ed) area might end up larger than the reducing of the flat area actually is concerning realistic contact with the palm. (The palm will rest on both the flat and rounded area, even more so if higher pressure is applied).

2.) For the rather soft palm it makes a difference in comfort if it is pressed against a "sharp" more or less 90 degree corner or a more smoother, rounded transition, regardless if the rounding offers the same, a bit less or a bit more contact area than the more flat/ "sharper" cornered area

That being said: Again, I DON´T think the Manix LW handle should necessarily get more rounded, since for almost any task it is very comfortable anyway. But "rounding" would not hurt either and make the handle even better in a few tasks imho
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm pretty happy with the Manix 2 Lightweight.

I carry it at least 90% of the time over the G-10 version and I have the G-10 version in the same steel I choose to carry. The Lightweight doesn't have as much handle jimping and doesn't hurt my hand as much, it's lighter, but it is still strong. I clean the dust out of the inside and as much of everything I can reach. It seems to be doing well.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have 2 Manix LW’s an old BD 1 model and a SPY 27. The translucent blue FRCP is one of my favorite handle materials ever and I would love to see more colors available. I like these knives as they are and would be against screw construction if it involves a price increase. I get the feeling I’m in the minority there though. I have a 3rd Manix in S 90 V that I bought at the Factory Outlet sale a couple of years ago. That one had the burled G 10 slabs and they had a large void on one side. I swapped on some black aluminum and I love that one too, but it’s pretty darn heavy by comparison and I prefer my 2 LW’s.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: