Spyder Classics: The C-17 Catcherman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyder Classics: The C-17 Catcherman

Post by JD Spydo »

Over the years I've owned and used several fish fillet knives. I've been an avid fresh water fishermen since I was a kid. When I got my first Spyderco Catcherman model which was an older AUS-8, full SE model>> which I still own to this very day. I never looked back because at that time the Catcherman model is still my favorite knife for filleting fish and many other food related cutting chores.

I was sad when it was discontinued back around 2005-06 I think it was. For quite a while after they were discontinued there were still quite a few on the secondary market and I grabbed about 3 more of them. The overall design is so functional that I find it hard to believe that it didn't become one of their permanent models.

So let's talk about all the variants of the Catcherman model. The Catcherman is a super-classic and a functional dream IMO.
VooDooChild

Re: Spyder Classics: The C-17 Catcherman

Post by VooDooChild »

Bring back the Catcherman.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Thread worthless with out pix...fixed.
Usual Suspect version.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

A Catcherman 2 Salt with upgraded bidirectional FRN, wire or spoon clip, and LC200N blade would be a great addition to the lineup.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Responsible for getting me into Spyderco.

Lost several from the back of the boat from being left on bait boards by myself or unsupervised deckie when moving between spots. Doh.....

Remember searching high and low for one when they were discontinued, ended up having to settle with a Pacific salt in the end.

Would buy two in a heartbeat is those lime beauties came back.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Because I don’t think I’ve stated it yet on the forum, the Catcherman is a really cool model.
I wouldn’t mind another variation!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I wish that more of you guys would have got the opportunity to have test driven a full SE version of the Catcherman. As far as I know the only series that came in full SE was when they were using AUS-8. I don't ever recall an MBS-26 Catcherman or any H-1 model in full SE.

I'm always keeping my eyes open for another full SE Catcherman. It is a food handler's delight and I've not seen many that can outperform the Catcherman.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Cool looking knife! I would love one, especially if it was LC200N
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Haunted House wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:22 am
Cool looking knife! I would love one, especially if it was LC200N
And I can't for the life of me understand why they don't at least do a Sprint Run in LC200N. They did that Sprint Run back in 2011 with H-1 and a nuclear green handle. Now it's a highly sought after collectible even though it was a slow seller at first.

I don't care which steel they use because I want another Catcherman with full SE. The CE version ain't bad either but the SE version is the creme-de-le-creme :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

if they ever bring it back I will buy some. the size to weight ratio has me intrigued.
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

While I find the full serrations intriguing I think the short CE section is even more so.
I like the idea of starting long cuts with the nice and minimal serrations in the back and following through a cut using that thin plain edge. If that makes any sense.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:50 am
While I find the full serrations intriguing I think the short CE section is even more so.
I like the idea of starting long cuts with the nice and minimal serrations in the back and following through a cut using that thin plain edge. If that makes any sense.
Sure I like CE myself on that model. But the fully serrated version is so good for a wide range of different food jobs. For Spyderco being the undisputed "KING" of Serrations" it only makes sense to put serrations on the premium models.

I would also love a full plain edged and a combo edged and have the 3 of them as a kit I could carry with me to Barbeques, fish frys and other picnic type events.

Not to mention the Catcherman is an excellent knife for the tackle box.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This is yet another model that was unknown to me.

This is the kind of knife I would buy in a heartbeat. All practical, no bling. Especially the USN version pictured above.
I've never tried CE, but it seems like a fitting choice.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Cool knife, don't really care for trailing points though, I use the way to much.
/ David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:43 pm

This is the kind of knife I would buy in a heartbeat. All practical, no bling. Especially the USN version pictured above.
This is the main reason I bring up most of these older, GOLDEN ERA models. Is because there are so many newcomers like yourself and many other Spyderco fans who just got on board recently. And if no one makes them the wiser then a lot of these Ultra-Classics will fade away and become forgotten>> but not while I'm still here posting.

I've often wondered why the Catcherman never made it into Spyderco's permanent line up along with the Delica, Endura, Police ect,ect,. This is another great older era Spyder that needs another time around IMO.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:22 pm
aicolainen wrote:

This is the main reason I bring up most of these older, GOLDEN ERA models. Is because there are so many newcomers like yourself and many other Spyderco fans who just got on board recently. And if no one makes them the wiser then a lot of these Ultra-Classics will fade away and become forgotten>> but not while I'm still here posting.

I've often wondered why the Catcherman never made it into Spyderco's permanent line up along with the Delica, Endura, Police ect,ect,. This is another great older era Spyder that needs another time around IMO.
Your persistence is appreciated :-)
And I agree. It absolutely deserves a comeback.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've wanted on for a while, just haven't bit the bullet yet.

A Vanax Catcherman 2 would do it for me ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I’d like one with a thicker blade for non fish skinning. Kinda like a Spyderco Emerson Persian
You all could even sell it as a hunting set with the spydersaw.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:49 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:22 pm
aicolainen wrote:

Your persistence is appreciated :-)
And I agree. It absolutely deserves a comeback.
At the very least a good hefty Sprint Run if nothing else. With a new blade steel and a new color or style of handle. I love the idea of a Catcherman with a G-10 handle and maybe an LC200N blade. Albeit I'm still open to other suggestions as well :)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

A Catcherman with a BD1N or Spy27 blade would be interesting, so there are my suggestions.
In the event we see it’s return, I’d prefer updated FRN, but would not be opposed to g10.