Spyderco Spin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knife1

Spyderco Spin

Post by Knife1 »

I was browsing through the entire catalog of Spyderco trying to find something similar to a ladybug/manbug with a pocket clip and I came across the Spin which looks like a pretty good match. Unfortunately, it appears that it has been discontinued for quite some time now. What causes Spyderco to discontinue production designs? Does anyone know if Spyderco sometimes brings back discontinued models or is it only in sprint runs if they do bring back discontinued models? Also, any alternatives? I've tried the MacBee and Pochi but don't like the ergonomics of these. The ladybug, manbug, and the Spin have finger groves to het a better handle on the small knife.
Thanks
vivi

Re: Spyderco Spin

Post by vivi »

It's a great model. The ladybug never fit my grip and felt too much like a toy, but the spin feels perfect in my hands for such a tiny little knife.

They're not too tough to find - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Spin- ... Ia&LH_BIN=

I wonder if you'll like it if you didn't like the McBee, though. They have pretty similar handle shapes.
:unicorn
Knife1

Post by Knife1 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:05 pm
It's a great model. The ladybug never fit my grip and felt too much like a toy, but the spin feels perfect in my hands for such a tiny little knife.

They're not too tough to find - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Spin- ... Ia&LH_BIN=

I wonder if you'll like it if you didn't like the McBee, though. They have pretty similar handle shapes.
I didn't like the MacBee though because it doesn't really have finger grooves, so the Spon should be a good fit.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Knife1 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:01 pm
I was browsing through the entire catalog of Spyderco trying to find something similar to a ladybug/manbug with a pocket clip and I came across the Spin which looks like a pretty good match. Unfortunately, it appears that it has been discontinued for quite some time now. What causes Spyderco to discontinue production designs? Does anyone know if Spyderco sometimes brings back discontinued models or is it only in sprint runs if they do bring back discontinued models? Also, any alternatives? I've tried the MacBee and Pochi but don't like the ergonomics of these. The ladybug, manbug, and the Spin have finger groves to het a better handle on the small knife.
Thanks

I don´t think they ever bring back discontinued models back even in sprint runs - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:47 am
Knife1 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:01 pm
Thanks

I don´t think they ever bring back discontinued models back even in sprint runs - ?!

Sure they do. The C55 Starmate was discontinued, then got a "re-issue" more than 10 years later. That one even changed country of origin; the original run was made in the USA and the re-issue was made in Japan.

The C83 Persian was discontinued then came back several years later in a "V2" version. The Jester got a sprint run some years after it was discontinued. And there's a sprint run of the C60 Ayoob coming; see the long-running thread about that one.

There are probably more examples of discontinued models coming back. Those are just a few that immediately came to mind.

So it's theoretically possible the Spin could come back some day.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thats one of the main reasons Sprints Runs exist, to give people a chance at older, often discontinued, models they may have missed before.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Shucks, the SpyderHawk was discontinued, came back as the SpyderHawk Salt, was discontinued again and came back in a Sprint Run. In fact, there was a Sprint of the Spin with a Nishinjin CF scale years after the Spin was discoed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Word of warning: Buying a Nishijin Glass Spin on eBay is probably safe. I'm fairly certain that it's never been counterfeited. On the other hand, be extremely cautious when looking at the plain stainless and etched stainless versions because there are probably more counterfeit ones than real ones floating around.
Last edited by The Deacon on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I had one of these, and sadly, lost it. It was a great knife to clip on, a handy short sharp blade.

The same needs are fulfilled for me, albeit with far less style, by a Manbug Salt or Ladybug Hawkbill.

I'd always considered the Spin and the Cricket two halves to a whole. With the Spin discontinued, I think the Cricket is worth a look, though a very different blade shape. The ergonomics on the Cricket are *awesome*.
rivy

Post by rivy »

Would love to see the Spin return in a sprint run. They definitely bring models back as sprints all the time. The Dodo happened not too long ago too.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

There are still NIB Spins out there but you are going to pay full price.

Blazin Blades and Country Knives
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Double post
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I think Paul is right. I suspect there are more fake Spins in circulation than real ones and a sprint, even though it was different to the fakes, would probably increase sales of the fakes. I doubt Spyderco would want to increase the sale of fakes.