Interest in Front Flipper by Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hambone56rx

Interest in Front Flipper by Spyderco?

Post by hambone56rx »

After watching EpicSnuggleBunny’s collection video, it made me want a front flipper! Doctor Frunkey has showed his Shamwari, and it has beautiful lines. Not having a flipper, makes everything berry continuous and sleek, like the essence of the Ikuchi. I watched a video on Stan Wilson and his creation of the “Non-Flipper Flipper.” He got rid of the flipper tab as he didn’t like the aesthetics of the flipper tab.

Spyderco could definitely have a gem with a font flipper with Spyderco ergonomics. I haven’t seen any discussion on a front flipper though. Have there been any rumblings of that?

Hamilton
TkoK83Spy

Re: Interest in Front Flipper by Spyderco?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Check out the Smock ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yep, the Smock is an awesome "flipperless flipper." And I think a lot of people open their Ikuchis like front flippers. I personally don't mind a flipper tab since I don't usually carry anything else in my knife pocket and I like that it creates a natural finger guard. But I'd still be interested in trying out a front flipper. I'm sure it'd take some getting used to, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I hoped the Watu would be one.

Hoping also that they adjust the detent better than at the flippers (Sliverax, mantra 3...) - the detent was way too soft.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Ric wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:06 pm
I hoped the Watu would be one.

Hoping also that they adjust the detent better than at the flippers (Sliverax, mantra 3...) - the detent was way too soft.
Ric,

Good point! I had to make my detent harder on the Sliverax, but gem of a knife!

Somewhat like a reverse Smock, but I love the looks of the Shamwari. It has just the smallest profusion above the pivot to give it the leverage to be a front flipper. And looks elegant when open!

Hamilton
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I have two folding knives that aren't Spydercos and one of them is the civivi mckenna which is a great knife. I would love a knife like that made in a spyderco way: front flipper, sortof a wharncliffe, thin blade, ~3 inch blade, no choil. I like the mckenna but I have this weird loyalty towards spyderco...
/ David
Danke

Post by Danke »

The Swayback would be even more awesome as a front flipper.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I know that you can get a custom McBee that has extra knurling done by McNees to make it a front flipper.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:58 pm
I have two folding knives that aren't Spydercos and one of them is the civivi mckenna which is a great knife. I would love a knife like that made in a spyderco way: front flipper, sortof a wharncliffe, thin blade, ~3 inch blade, no choil. I like the mckenna but I have this weird loyalty towards spyderco...
Just give me a mckenna running on washers in S30v, and it would be the best knife in that size range IMO. I think it is possibly the best ratio of useable blade length to ease of carry knife in production, but I also dislike bearing knives for daily use, and *especially* bearing knives with a steel that can rust fairly easily.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I don’t consider any of the Spyderco knives mentioned above to be true front flippers, the tabs are all at the rear/top of the knife. I’d love to see something from Spyderco in this area!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i would like a front flipper by spyderco in a smaller size like a gb air front flipper. or along the lines of a kizer feist.

there is also a mod you can do to a lil native that makes it a front flipper too.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
fixall

Post by fixall »

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KAhDEXMk20U"
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

As a South African I’m going to throw my countrymen’s names in the ring - another Des Horn maybe or a Trevor Burger or an Andre Thorburn collaboration? Front flippers were, for quite some time, the domain of our local knife makers.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:57 am
i would like a front flipper by spyderco in a smaller size like a gb air front flipper. or along the lines of a kizer feist.

there is also a mod you can do to a lil native that makes it a front flipper too.
I can't believe I didn't think of the GB Air! That would be a great opportunity to make as a front flipper.
/ David
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:59 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:57 am

I can't believe I didn't think of the GB Air! That would be a great opportunity to make as a front flipper.
That would be amazing. Perfect dress knife
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

I am pretty fidgety with my knives. I tried a well regarded front flipper out of curiosity. It took a good bit of practice/getting used to/break in period, but I eventually became proficient at it. It is sort of fun, but less practical than almost every other opening mechanism, as in it takes more time and effort to get the knife positioned right for the flip. I also still find it sort of painful and uncomfortable even after getting the hang of it. Maybe my hands are too small, or I have health issues with my wrist, but it's a thing. All that being said I'm not interested in purchasing any more front flippers from any company, but if other people are into it that's cool, no objection from me.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Baron Mind wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:43 pm
I am pretty fidgety with my knives. I tried a well regarded front flipper out of curiosity. It took a good bit of practice/getting used to/break in period, but I eventually became proficient at it. It is sort of fun, but less practical than almost every other opening mechanism, as in it takes more time and effort to get the knife positioned right for the flip. I also still find it sort of painful and uncomfortable even after getting the hang of it. Maybe my hands are too small, or I have health issues with my wrist, but it's a thing. All that being said I'm not interested in purchasing any more front flippers from any company, but if other people are into it that's cool, no objection from me.
Baron Mind,

Great point. I don’t have a front flipper, but want one from Spyderco, but I could definitely see where it’s harder to use. It reminds me of an episode of Man V Wild where Bear Grylls is rappelling facing forward. He tells his guest, Channing Tatum, that rappelling facing forwards “is completely unnecessary!”

Really all modern knives are the same way. Most people really only need a Case, but man these Spydercos are legit! We don’t need a front flipper, anymore than we need 6 different Spydercos, but they are legit!

Hamilton
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:46 pm
I don’t consider any of the Spyderco knives mentioned above to be true front flippers, the tabs are all at the rear/top of the knife. I’d love to see something from Spyderco in this area!
Liquid Cobra,

Please forgive me for not giving you credit for this thread as well. I was extremely impressed by your custom front flippers I saw on IG. Then it got me thinking about getting a Spyderco production version!

Have you reached out to Sal about a collaboration?

Hamilton
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

+1 for a production front flipper. Seems like the upcoming high hollow ground choil-less Shaman would be an excellent candidate. :D

The Shaman can be deployed like a front flipper if you get the angles right.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
razehound

Post by razehound »

Oh man. I picked up a Civivi Exarch a few months ago. Small, g10, D2 steel, it's nothing to write home about. Cost me $35.

But oh boy does it get pocket time, and it's all because it is such an amazingly satisfying knife. The size and feel of the flipper tab is perfect, action is so smooth, it has caused me to fall in love with front flippers. The fidget factor is through the roof, even more than my sliverax (a comp lock flipper).

I'd love to see some front flippers coming from my favorite manufacturer!
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...