sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hungryone

sharpening

Post by hungryone »

i am a newbie,bought a para 3 a while back,love it, very sharp at least to me. my question-can someone with experience make it even sharper?
sal

Re: sharpening

Post by sal »

Hi Hungryone,

Welcome to our forum.

The Edge is a wondrous thing, I call it a ghost. The world of knives is large myriad of steels, handles designs, materials, history, geography and just plain beauty. The edge is it's own study. The simple answer is yes. Experience, knowledge and equipment permits us to try to achieve that .1 of a micron edge that Cliff Stamp talks about. In my opinion, and the opinions of many that hang here, that is worth the journey.

I would suggest that you purchase a loupe, maybe 10X and start looking at the edge. As it wears, as you sharpen it, what you sharpen it with all effect that edge. Lotta "Edge Junky's" here and we all learn from each other.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

hungryone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:14 am
i am a newbie,bought a para 3 a while back,love it, very sharp at least to me. my question-can someone with experience make it even sharper?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Many sharpening-experts on this forum, but to be clear: I am NOT one of those ;)

Still: I enjoy keeping my knives sharp, and just can second Sals advice of getting a loupe (actually, he was the one who pointed me too in that direction): It helps a lot in getting skilled!
And I´d recommend a getting a sharpmaker, I have really good results with mine. Depending on what steel your Para 3 has, perhaps get CBN or diamond rods additionally.

And while I probably never got a knife sharper than the typical Spyderco factory edge (which is sharp enough for me), as said there are quite a few people here who can give you advice how to do this.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Check out Michael Christy, Big Brown Bear, Jeff Jewell, outdoors55 and others on YT.. learning to hand sharpen is worth it - and not hard at all.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Sharpening is like anything. The more you do it the better you get.

Butcher for over 20 years and the more you do it the quicker and better you get.

Give it a try with a wet stone and gauge your results with use. Sometimes you will do well other times not as well. But the more times you do it right you will know what led to a better edge.

Millions of videos on YouTube nowadays

My best bit of advise is give it a couple of minutes of sharpening and use your knife like normal and judge what was good and bad.
Try not to be sharpening for 20 minutes as your just wearing out your blade.

Second bit of advice is stones are like knives you pay for what you get.
$100 should get you a good 2 sided stone that lasts many years. (But you can spend a lot more once proficient) A $300 stone won’t make you a better sharpener but time will.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ric

Post by Ric »

If you want it easy and efficient: gauntlet premium or sharpmaker with diamond rods.

Watch lance clintons sharpening videos.

Try with kitchen knives first.
No pressure.
Keep the stones clean.
Do it often to get training.
Be patient.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Greetings "Hungryone" :) Welcome to Spyderville :D
One big step you can take toward learning to get super sharp edges is to get a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker kit. And if you can swing it you also want to buy all the extra stones you can buy for it as well..

The kit comes with two FINE and two MEDIUM brand new out of the box. However you can buy the diamond rods extra along with the Ultra-Fine stones and now they have CBN stones too. All of the extra stones really makes that kit complete. It is by far the best "kit" type sharpening system out there.

You want to really study that video that comes with the 204 Sharpmaker kit and one book I recommend to everyone is the book entitled "The Razor Edge Book Of Sharpening" by John Juranitch. I know that's a lot to start out with but it will put you head and shoulders above any other "newbie" :cool:
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

hungryone wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:14 am
can someone with experience make it even sharper?
Yes. Spyderco puts a nice edge on their knives, but an enthusiast who is not constrained by time, labor, and profitability can do even better.

Sharpening is a skill that you might want to learn. You've expressed an interest in the edge of your PM3, but unless you leave it in a drawer and never use it, that lovely edge is going to degrade. Every time you slice through an envelope, an attacker, or a baloney sandwich, the edge gets duller and duller. Learn to sharpen, send your knife back to Spyderco often, or learn to enjoy a dull knife. Those are the options.

The key thing that Sal suggested is to get yourself some kind of magnification so you can SEE the edge. It's only by knowing what is going on at the edge can you decide how to make it better. Look, sharpen, cut.