Spyderco 2021 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Spyderco 2021 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Post by ladybug93 »

SSD_777 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:25 pm
114 variations of the same old stuff. Pretty sad if you ask me. There hasn't been a new model introduced this entire year. Where are the new designs Spyderco?
that doesn't seem like a fair critique. maybe new models haven't been introduced, but 2020 was hard on businesses and put a lot of people out in 2021. i understand the fatigue of pm2 variants, but some people are really happy to get their favorite knife in their favorite steel. sometimes, it's not all about new designs and innovation, but about pushing the boundaries with steel like spy27, or k390, or magnacut. just because it's been a slow year for new designs doesn't mean they've not been working hard to bring their customers new things. every year can't be the year that someone changes the knife world forever by creating an opening hole in the blade, or putting a pocket clip on a knife, or inventing a new lock, or making obscure steel blends available to the masses, or...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The November 2021 Spyderco byte newsletter says:

"If you follow Spyderco closely, you may have already been aware of the release of the Endela Lightweight Wharncliffe before receiving this edition of the byte. It was the first product to be unveiled using our newly revised “Reveal” process. With this method, new Spyderco products are now announced to the public digitally through our social media platforms and the Spyderco Smartphone app. The timing of these digital “Reveals” is driven by the actual on-the-shelf availability of the product. When you learn about it, the initial inventory of that product is already in-house and ready to ship to our dealers and distributors or consumer-direct to you through Spyderco.com."

In reality, the new Endela Lightweight Wharncliffe first showed up in stock at some dealers and a day or two later Spyderco announced it on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and by email. On my iPhone I did not get the Notification as usual but the New Reveal is in there. No "new reveal" posts on YouTube, Spyderco Forum, BladeForums or USN.

I think it would be better if the "new reveal" announcments are done once they are in stock at the Spyderco warehouse and before they are shipped to dealers.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I would agree that it would be nice to get an alert from the app before the Dealer post on social media. Seems like that has been the norm with the New Process. Doesn't really make the app as useful as following all the dealers on social media.

Overall, I think the new reveal process is a good idea and worth trying out. Based on the info in the byte, I can understand why they are changing it. I am sure grateful for Spyderco to share the insights of why they are changing it. One more reason why Spyderco seems to be an outstanding company.

I just think the app reveal would go first before dealer announcement.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:55 pm

"If you follow Spyderco closely, you may have already been aware of the release of the Endela Lightweight Wharncliffe before receiving this edition of the byte. It was the first product to be unveiled using our newly revised “Reveal” process. With this method, new Spyderco products are now announced to the public digitally through our social media platforms and the Spyderco Smartphone app. The timing of these digital “Reveals” is driven by the actual on-the-shelf availability of the product. When you learn about it, the initial inventory of that product is already in-house and ready to ship to our dealers and distributors or consumer-direct to you through Spyderco.com."

In reality, the new Endela Lightweight Wharncliffe first showed up in stock at some dealers and a day or two later Spyderco announced it on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and by email. On my iPhone I did not get the Notification as usual but the New Reveal is in there. No "new reveal" posts on YouTube, Spyderco Forum, BladeForums or USN.

I think it would be better if the "new reveal" announcments are done once they are in stock at the Spyderco warehouse and before they are shipped to dealers.
Hi ramzar

This might be a slightly different question, but is there any way to be notified through the app or email when a particular knife comes back in stock on the spyderco website? I’ve been going to the website every day to check the stock status but it’s a bit of a chore. Thoughts?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:53 pm
RamZar wrote:

Hi ramzar

This might be a slightly different question, but is there any way to be notified through the app or email when a particular knife comes back in stock on the spyderco website? I’ve been going to the website every day to check the stock status but it’s a bit of a chore. Thoughts?

Your best bet is to go to a dealer’s website and enter your email to be notified when that item comes back in stock. GP Knives has worked well for me for that purpose but there are others. The Spyderco website doesn’t have such facility.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:58 pm
DOUBLE D wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Hi ramzar

Your best bet is to go to a dealer’s website and enter your email to be notified when that item comes back in stock. GP Knives has worked well for me for that purpose but there are others. The Spyderco website doesn’t have such facility.
Thanks for the fast reply! Unfortunately I’m looking to buy direct from spyderco because of the opfocus program.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 pm
RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:58 pm
DOUBLE D wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Hi ramzar

Thanks for the fast reply! Unfortunately I’m looking to buy direct from spyderco because of the opfocus program.

Ok. However, by getting an in stock notification from a dealer you can then check in stock status at Spyderco.
freddiepellini

Post by freddiepellini »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:20 pm
Native5 CPM-M4 Satin Blade Mint FRN C41PJGR5 BladeHQ (USA) will be available on Friday, December 3, 2021 at 10:00am MT for $119.00.

There's a DLC coated M4 Sage 5 Lightweight in their "Coming Soon" section as well listed for $168.00. It looks pretty snazzy.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ht--137712
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

freddiepellini wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:09 pm
There's a DLC coated M4 Sage 5 Lightweight in their "Coming Soon" section as well listed for $168.00. It looks pretty snazzy.

Yes but $168.00 for TiCN coated blade with plastic FRN scales!
freddiepellini

Post by freddiepellini »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:18 pm
freddiepellini wrote:

I'm not going to buy one myself, but I figured I'd contribute since I just noticed the listing. I can't deny that those colors do look nicer than the satin one though. :beaming-face
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

freddiepellini wrote:
RamZar wrote:
Native5 CPM-M4 Satin Blade Mint FRN C41PJGR5 BladeHQ (USA) will be available on Friday, December 3, 2021 at 10:00am MT for $119.00.

Even at that price I’ll be buying 2. Love the Sage models.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

D-Wade wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm
freddiepellini wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Even at that price I’ll be buying 2. Love the Sage models.
Same here, but I’ll probably take a loss selling my extra satin model seeing as they are still in stock. Then again I could keep it for a blade swap.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

freddiepellini wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:33 pm
RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:18 pm
freddiepellini wrote:

I'm not going to buy one myself, but I figured I'd contribute since I just noticed the listing. I can't deny that those colors do look nicer than the satin one though. :beaming-face

Agreed! The black blade model definitely looks better than the satin blade one which is still in stock two weeks after they went on sale.

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

SSD_777 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:25 pm
114 variations of the same old stuff. Pretty sad if you ask me. There hasn't been a new model introduced this entire year. Where are the new designs Spyderco?

Thus far, there has been one new design this year and that was Pattadese.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Might have to grab one of those mint chocolate chip spyderco sages!!!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

With regard to some dealers announcing the Endela Wharncliffe before Spyderco revealed it on our channels, we informed dealers of its availability a week before we announced it publicly so they could order stock. The first line of that email directed the dealers not to release any information to the public until AFTER Spyderco did. Some dealers chose not to honor that request and disrupted the process.

Nothing is as simple as it seems...

Stay safe,

Mike
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Isn't FRN higher in price than G10 if there is only like 10,000 pieces made ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:47 am
Hey, All:

With regard to some dealers announcing the Endela Wharncliffe before Spyderco revealed it on our channels, we informed dealers of its availability a week before we announced it publicly so they could order stock. The first line of that email directed the dealers not to release any information to the public until AFTER Spyderco did. Some dealers chose not to honor that request and disrupted the process.

Nothing is as simple as it seems...

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for the info. and clarity Mike! Spyderco does not have to share this kind of information, but one of many reasons we like to back the company.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
freddiepellini

Post by freddiepellini »

So assuming that dealers cooperate and don't announce products early, I prefer the new reveal system. But with that being said, does that mean that Spyderco won't have a lineup announcement at SHOT this January? Or maybe they'll just do one big reveal a year? I'd be lying if I said that watching SHOT Show coverage wasn't one of the highlights of the new year for me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:48 am
Isn't FRN higher in price than G10 if there is only like 10,000 pieces made ?
i think that's only for the first run. it costs a lot to make molds, but once they are made, i believe frn is cheaper long term.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C