Spydercos for steak knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: Spydercos for steak knives?

Post by JMM »

IMO the pointed Z-cut is unbeatable. I have a set of 4 that I use just as steak knives & they are hands down the best steak knife I've ever owned or used. I have a hard time imagining how any knife could do better.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For being such thin knives, the SE is an absolute beast!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JMM wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:14 pm
IMO the pointed Z-cut is unbeatable. I have a set of 4 that I use just as steak knives & they are hands down the best steak knife I've ever owned or used. I have a hard time imagining how any knife could do better.
Same here. I've got 5 z-cuts pe and serrated. Love them. Given a half dozen away as gifts too. Everyone loves them. They all marvel at how sharp they are compared to the rest of their kitchen knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I need to try them.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I’ve had a K05 for almost a decade. Not sure I’ve sharpened it to be honest.

When I want to do a solid for a cook I get them one of those serrated utility knives. They are always thrilled and I spend less time trying to explain why marble cutting boards are the spawn of the underworld.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:16 pm
JMM wrote:
Same here. I've got 5 z-cuts pe and serrated. Love them. Given a half dozen away as gifts too. Everyone loves them. They all marvel at how sharp they are compared to the rest of their kitchen knives.
Their one of the few knives I feel I could buy for a non knife nut, that they would truly appreciate and use often.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Z-cuts seem to be such a great food prep utility knife I was hoping that a belt sheath would become available for them....horizontal draw. Just think, four different blades to fit one sheath depending upon what you're going to be doing. A kydex sheath to hold a duo would be even better. Maybe even make a nice small filet knife and mushroom knife combo mix and match....PE/SE combo. :p

Best wishes to Sal's daughter. Hope she's doing well.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Ive been using my fully serrated tenacious of late which does a pretty good job for a folder.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:41 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:16 pm
JMM wrote:
Their one of the few knives I feel I could buy for a non knife nut, that they would truly appreciate and use often.
aside from nearly everyone cutting themselves because they're not used to sharp knives, I've had no complaints.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Blerv wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:24 pm
I’ve had a K05 for almost a decade. Not sure I’ve sharpened it to be honest.

When I want to do a solid for a cook I get them one of those serrated utility knives. They are always thrilled and I spend less time trying to explain why marble cutting boards are the spawn of the underworld.
So much this. Nothing says "I don't own a sharp knife" like a glass, marble or granite cutting board.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ or corian. I bought my MIL a nice thick maple cutting board and told her she had to give up the other. I then sharpened a few knives for her. I think she appreciates the difference.
benben

Post by benben »

I have a serrated Z-Cut that I bought at SMKW, it's an excellent food-prep knife, tomato slicing doesn't get any better! I've honestly never used mine as a steak knife but I have to doubt it would work great.

As mentioned earlier it does flex quite a bit, it struggles a little with slicing a fresh hard red onion but there's other knives to handle that. The Z-Cut makes a perfect gift that everyone appreciates!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've had two red handled K-05 Spyderco kitchen knives that I have used as steak and meat knives on many occasions. They are nothing fancy appearance-wise but they do work very well cutting up steaks, chops, roast beef or any other type of meat.

I remember when ZDP-189 first hit the scene back around 2005-08 I think it was the William Henry knife company that had a set of steak knives made with that steel. Looking back I would have probably kept them as a collector's item. Because GOD knows nobody needs a supersteel to cut up your dinner. But I did find it interesting none the less.

I've also had a set of Victorinox steak knives for years with really small serrations and they work great and sharpen easy. I doubt if I ever go to anything more exotic than those two options. But it would still be interesting to see what Spyderco might come up with.