BD1N edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

BD1N edge

Post by M Sea »

DCC04FA4-5990-4D3C-830E-4F3D3ADB3220.jpeg
Anyone know why BD1N takes such a wicked edge? Its so easy to sharpen but holds the edge for a decent amount of time and requires minimal effort to get back to hair shaving sharp. I know nothing about this steel. Only have it on my Para3 LW but am really enjoying it.
Wartstein

Re: BD1N edge

Post by Wartstein »

1000 % agreed!! BD1N is amazing (and in my experience a real improvement over BD1):

- It sharpens very easy and quick
- It is also very easy to give it a scary sharp edge, even for non sharpening masters like me
- In my use it seems to hold an edge longer than VG10, though in theory that should not be the case (if one looks at Larrins charts for example, though I think the difference in hardness between Spydercos BD1N and VG10 is higher than in that charts)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:14 pm
1000 % agreed!! BD1N is amazing (and in my experience a real improvement over BD1):

- It is also very easy to give it a scary sharp edge, even for non sharpening masters like me
- In my use it seems to hold an edge longer than VG10, though in theory that should not be the case (if one looks at Larrins charts for example, though I think the difference in hardness between Spydercos BD1N and VG10 is higher than in that charts)
Agreed my friend and Happy New Year. What gets me is it sharpens so easily like a lower end/price steel but those steels lose their edge quickly. The BD1N is that easy to touch up but holds the edge much longer and takes that razor edge quickly.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:19 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:14 pm

Agreed my friend and Happy New Year. What gets me is it sharpens so easily like a lower end/price steel but those steels lose their edge quickly. The BD1N is that easy to touch up but holds the edge much longer and takes that razor edge quickly.

Thanks and happy New Year to you too!! :)
Yes, when I got my Manix 2 LW in BDN1 I almost could not believe how long even the factory edge lasted (not kidding, at some point I suspected it could have some other "better" steel accidently) . Had the older BD1 (without "N") Manix before, and I am sure it dulled a lot faster.
And when it came to sharpening, this was really a breeze (and I am not really good at it!) and as you say: Don´t think I own any Spyderco at the moment that gets real razor sharp with such little effort.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

First steel I was able to whittle a hair with. Same knife as you actually, except the satin version.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:32 pm
First steel I was able to whittle a hair with. Same knife as you actually, except the satin version.
Its quickly becoming my favorite Spyderco. The knife is excellent all around. But that steel is just so good.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

M Sea wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:00 pm
Anyone know why BD1N takes such a wicked edge?
Larrin says it's a nitrogen-modified 440B, and I believe 440B easily sharpens to a keen edge. Elsewhere he compares it to 440C. Apparently BD1N has "very large and ugly carbide structures, similar to D2." He shows one that's over 20 microns in width. From my imperfect understanding, large carbides reduce toughness and edge stability but they don't affect keenness of edge unless they tear out.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

yall need to try some SPY27.

I love BD1N and SPY27.

hope to see lots of models both in serrated blades.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I really like BD1N. In my knives, they seem to like the medium Sharpmaker brown stones and, while they will get keenly sharp with the fine white, seem to cut better with the brown.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:46 pm
M Sea wrote:
Larrin says it's a nitrogen-modified 440B, and I believe 440B easily sharpens to a keen edge. Elsewhere he compares it to 440C. Apparently BD1N has "very large and ugly carbide structures, similar to D2." He shows one that's over 20 microns in width. From my imperfect understanding, large carbides reduce toughness and edge stability but they don't affect keenness of edge unless they tear out.

Thanks, very interesting!!

I´ve had 440C knives and going just by my totally unscientific gut-feeling BD1N has better edge holding (could be different heat treat or whatever though).
And for toughness: For me that goes to show that probably a folder-steel does not have to be extremely tough to be, well, just still very tough in folder use. As said above (and Doc did second that): In my not gentle use of my BD1N Manix I had no chipping problems whatsoever.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Bolster wrote:
M Sea wrote:
Cool, thanks for the heads up there.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:06 pm
yall need to try some SPY27.

I love BD1N and SPY27.

hope to see lots of models both in serrated blades.
Agreed, will try to score that new gem blue Manix in SPY27!!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:17 pm
I really like BD1N. In my knives, they seem to like the medium Sharpmaker brown stones and, while they will get keenly sharp with the fine white, seem to cut better with the brown.
Haven’t had to go to the brown rods yet on the Sharpmaker, just the whites to touch it up but it could easily be the sharpest knife I own. I would love a PM2 in BD1N!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:56 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Haven’t had to go to the brown rods yet on the Sharpmaker, just the whites to touch it up but it could easily be the sharpest knife I own. I would love a PM2 in BD1N!!

Well, I think it is not a risky bet to say that there will be a PM2 LW in just that steel eventually...
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 am
M Sea wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:56 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Well, I think it is not a risky bet to say that there will be a PM2 LW in just that steel eventually...
🙏🙏🙏🙏
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Bolster wrote:
M Sea wrote:
He also said BD1N and N690 compared to 440c and VG10. I have no experience with BD1N but have used 14c28n. Its similar just lower carbon. It also takes a scary sharp edge faster than any of my other knives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For me, I found it to be one of those very easy to sharpen steels but also loses its very sharpe edge pretty quickly in a warehouse setting. Nothing wrong with that, just a steel I had to touch up a little more often than others.

I found it to really bite into the brown rods when sharpening, seemed to have a different feel to it than others. I don't have any knives in BD1N at the moment, but just reminiscing on sharpening it makes me want some again!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Are the polestar and alycone the only ones left in bd1 (not n)? I'm guessing the Chinese factory hasn't used up their stash yet? Are there plans to update the steel on those models?
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I've got a Manix 2 and Para 3 LW in BD1N. I only touched up the edge of the Manix 2 using the brown Tri-Angles to smooth it a bit, it was sharp enough. On the Para 3 I used the brown and white Tri-Angles to smooth out the factory scratch pattern on the bevel and edge just to see how it would turn out. If these two are an example of how BD1N sharpens, it's real easy to get a smooth, high polish, finish on it.

I have a PE Z-Cut with BD1N that I had somehow forgotten to sharpen, I was using other knives while it sat in the bottom of the drawer. It had a course/fine grind pattern on the bevel that gave it a micro serrated, bumpy, edge. The diamond/brown/white Tri-Angle treatment made it cut like a straight razor.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:26 am
Are the polestar and alycone the only ones left in bd1 (not n)? I'm guessing the Chinese factory hasn't used up their stash yet? Are there plans to update the steel on those models?
The byrd Crow 2 and a Chicago I bought for a friend last year were BD1. (old stock?) The Chicago is listed as BD1N, now.