Machete by Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Who wants to see a machete form Spyderco?

Parang
17%
Khurki
22%
Other
23%
No thanks, Not interested in a machete
38%

Total votes: 64

Mike Slayer

Re: Machete by Spyderco?

Post by Mike Slayer »

zhyla wrote: Do you use a machete much in that environment? Do you have trouble with corrosion that affects the blade performance?
Yes I do use a machete in that environment and just like any other blade it's called rust. When dealing with brackish or salt water rust will happen regardless of what you do.

zhyla wrote: LC200N/H1 make a ton of sense if you're using the knife around salt water a lot or are taking it in water a lot. And the higher end steels offer superior edge retention in an EDC knife which has obvious advantages.
When going through swamps, marshlands, creeks, rivers, sounds and in my area in general you will get wet at some point. What's wrong with superior edge retention and increased toughness in a machete made from a steel like Z-tuff?
zhyla wrote: I think this is an assumption that probably needs some data or expert to weigh in on. Machetes are not slicing tools that get fine edges and are babied like a pocket knife. Here is an example of what a machete looks like after a weekend of use:

I don't think anybody is calling a machete strictly a slicing tool. I can say my Imacasa machetes are sharper than most peoples pocket knives around my area. I mean they look at me funny when I shave hair from my arm right before I process seasoned hickory and fatwood for a fire. My machetes do have what most would call fine edges but they hold up perfectly. I make the geometry on my machetes are correct and if you have a good machete with good steel and good heat treat then nail the geometry the tool can door a lot.
zhyla wrote: Making that blade out of what we normally think of as super steels isn't going to necessarily make it survive contact with a rock better. If you just "want" it in a different steel, fine, but I think most people are assuming expensive steel equals better performance.

Maybe there is a more ideal machete steel out there. But I feel like most of our communal knowledge about steel revolves around CATRA-style edge retention under slicing conditions, not the use pattern that machetes see (primarily chopping fibrous material, and occasional contact with hard objects). I would love to hear Larrin's thoughts on this.
Doesn't matter what steel you make it from if your edge comes into contact with rocks. Don't get me wrong I have had my share of hitting rocks with my machete in my younger days but I learned really quickly not to do that. Just like any of my tools I do my best to preserve them and take care of them. I don't look at my machetes as a cheap disposable tool like a lot of people do. I want to bring quality, attention to detail and performance to machetes.

Lot's of people do believe better steel automatically equals better performance but most of the members here I believe are more educated than that. As always Larrin's thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Doesn't matter what steel you make it from if your edge comes into contact with rocks... I don't look at my machetes as a cheap disposable tool like a lot of people do. I want to bring quality, attention to detail and performance to machetes.

Lot's of people do believe better steel automatically equals better performance but most of the members here I believe are more educated than that. As always Larrin's thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, Mike Slayer!

——
I feel like most of our communal knowledge about steel revolves around CATRA-style edge retention under slicing conditions, not the use pattern that machetes see (primarily chopping fibrous material, and occasional contact with hard objects).
Part of why I mentioned BD1N, Zhyla, stems from the knowledge that, while not a 1 to 1 comparison, it is already in use by the Murray Carter kitchen knives which will be cutting a range of materials in various ways at thin geometries.
Some are rather large knives too, so it may be reasonable to extrapolate performance from such a baseline. That is just one example with one steel, though.

An H-1 machete could be interesting, but I don’t think it will give the desired edge retention without serrations and I am probably more welcoming of a serrated machete than most people.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/MiudT82SR_0

There are some good iterations here
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

I would get one. I need a new machete but I was considering a SzaboHawk or Warrior Hawk instead. But at $200-$300+ I don’t know if I would want to beat them up.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Realistically, Spyderco will never make a Machete, or even a full size kukhri.

I had made a few kukhris for Sal's perusal and evaluation, but I decided not to submit them, as the cost to the end line user would be prohibitive.

There are westernised versions of the kukhri, and mine would fall into that category, but not the cheap bit, though.

All knives are meant to be used, but if the product cost you a lotta nickel, into the safe it would go.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I had a Kitchen Machete made...
It is posted with another knife designed if mine.
This one is a nimble cutlas of a machete for the kitchen. The next one will be a more chopper leaning design with micarta handles. The blade length is 12.5”

archangel

Post by archangel »

A machete for the kitchen? What does your kitchen look like?? :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) Great work! I envy everyone who learned something that results in a physical product (something you can touch, take into your hands and look at it from all sides), more so even if it's a "practical piece of art" such as this. Way to go!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sorry, I did not make it, I had it made by a talented custom maker. I am not at that level yet. This knife is for BBQ, butchering and anything you might need a gorgeous machete for. If you find yourself in a jungle wearing a tuxedo, this is for you. I am going to make another kitchen machete that will have more of a nesmuk look and micarta handles.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I paid $39.99 for my machete which works wonders for clearing willows off trails. It can handle bigger chops. When I hit a rock, it gets no more than an "oops." I have rolled the edge, and chipped it and reprofiled the edge and sharpened it and I am thankful that it is cheap and works as intended. I could not imagine paying for Spyderco quality and premium steel in a machete that would be a user. I do have a couple friends that still bug me for paying retail on the machete and not buying one second hand or on sale for$10.

To date, I have never found myself in a kitchen thinking, hmmm I sure need a machete for this. I have looked at the Benchmade Nestucca, and thought it would be useful, ulu inspired with a handle. But like all production knives now, if you do not buy the second you see it, it will be sold out the next time you look.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)