Still using DLC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brown_Recluse

Still using DLC?

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Hey guys and gals, I got one of the new CQI'd Para 3's a few days ago and I was just wondering if anyone knows whether Spyderco is still using DLC to coat their black blades or if they're using something else now. The reason I ask is that I can't find a single retailer or piece of literature that says that the blade has DLC on it. I can't find anywhere where it says what is actually used. I have a PM2 in the all black configuration and the coatings are very similar but i can't really tell, by just using my bare eye, if it's the same or not. So yeah, it's strictly a question of curiosity. i'm sure it'll last

:spyder:
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
The Deacon

Re: Still using DLC?

Post by The Deacon »

I guess there's a remote possibility Spyderco changed the coating and forgot to update the descriptions on their website. Only Spyderco can confirm or deny that. However, both black bladed versions of the Para 3 are listed as being DLC coated.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... CMOBK/1065

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C223GBK/1048
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I haven't heard anything about a change here. DLC on Golden black-bladed models. TiCn on the Seki black-bladed models.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It might say in the model description on the side of the box when you get it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

When you say CQI'd para 3 are you talking about when they added a slanted notch on the tang for better lockup or something else?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

We are still using DLC on our US-made knives. We also typically provide that information in the product descriptions on our website: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C223BBK/1807.

Stay safe,

Mike
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:57 pm
When you say CQI'd para 3 are you talking about when they added a slanted notch on the tang for better lockup or something else?
I was wondering about that too. The only CQI that's been done on the Para 3 was that little notch you mention. IIRC that was done right after the first run
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:

I was wondering about that too. The only CQI that's been done on the Para 3 was that little notch you mention. IIRC that was done right after the first run

Well, maybe its not a CQI update persay, although I heard it called that, but the one with the black liners that retailers just got in.

Michael Janich wrote: We are still using DLC on our US-made knives. We also typically provide that information in the product descriptions on our website: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C223BBK/1807.

Stay safe,

Mike

I really appreciate your feedback Mr. Janich! I love this forum for many reasons but one of the biggest ones is that we can have a direct conversation with the creators, builders and designers themselves. I'm very greatful to have and be a part this forum!

Many thanks to all responders!
-BR :spyder:
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If they are putting dlc on the liners now that's pretty cool. Thanks for the scoop
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
James Y

Post by James Y »

It’ll be interesting to see a DLC Para 3 (or a PM2) with black liners. I haven’t been able to find any images on the knife sites I shop at. The only DLC compression lock knife with blackened liners I’ve been aware of up til now has been the DLC Yojimbo 2.

Jim
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:01 pm
If they are putting dlc on the liners now that's pretty cool. Thanks for the scoop
James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:16 pm
It’ll be interesting to see a DLC Para 3 (or a PM2) with black liners. I haven’t been able to find any images on the knife sites I shop at. The only DLC compression lock knife with blackened liners I’ve been aware of up til now has been the DLC Yojimbo 2.

Jim
I actually forgot about this. There was discussion about this recently. I swear it was here but could be wrong. I don't have time right now but shouldn't be hard to find with a search
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

This is the best pic I could get without taking it apart
Polish_20201229_033255522.jpg
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:53 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim
I actually forgot about this. There was discussion about this recently. I swear it was here but could be wrong. I don't have time right now but shouldn't be hard to find with a search

That discussion may have been on my inquisition as to why there were no DLC Para 3s at any online retailers. That's when I was told they were probably being CQI'd.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
The blade is DLC coated. The coatings of the liners and other hardware are matching black, but not necessarily DLC. The choice of coating is based on the base material of the specific parts and their mechanical function.

Stay safe,

Mike
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:39 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

That discussion may have been on my inquisition as to why there were no DLC Para 3s at any online retailers. That's when I was told they were probably being CQI'd.
Actually it was this thread...

viewtopic.php?p=1471815#p1471815
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:50 am
Brown_Recluse wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Thank you!

Jim
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:50 am
Brown_Recluse wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

I completely missed that post. dang. thanks for sharing though
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Pmudda

Post by Pmudda »

Brown_Recluse wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:36 am
This is the best pic I could get without taking it apart

Polish_20201229_033255522.jpg
I just received my para 3 a couple of days ago, and noticed it had black liners. I was concerned it was a counterfeit because I can’t find a single picture of one with black liners online. Including the website I purchased from, which is a reputable dealer.

I saw a few posts on here, including one from Mike himself confirming the new black liners. But, do you know if this version currently available or released to retailers to sell? I’m new to this hobby, as this is only my second spyderco, let alone knife, and just want to verify that I purchased an authentic para 3 and not a knockoff.

Thank you!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Pmudda:

Black liners on black-bladed Para 3s are being incorporated into current production. If you bought your knife through a reputable dealer, I'm confident you got the real deal.

Stay safe,

Mike
Pmudda

Post by Pmudda »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:50 am
Dear Pmudda:

Black liners on black-bladed Para 3s are being incorporated into current production. If you bought your knife through a reputable dealer, I'm confident you got the real deal.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you, Mike for your quick response! Stay safe as well!