Will Spyderco Sharpen A Factory Seconds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieMiner

Will Spyderco Sharpen A Factory Seconds

Post by SpydieMiner »

Seasons Greetings All!

My small but much appreciated Spyderco collection has grown over the past few months however my sharpening skills have not.

I was able to pick up a Maxamet PM2 during the factory seconds online sale. ( A huge thank you to all those that worked to bring the sale online)

My question is, will Spyderco sharpen factory seconds knives? I understand there is no warranty, but wondered if they could assist with sharpening when eventually the knife needs the edge to be refreshened.

Regardless I am enjoying putting this knife through its paces.

Thank you all for your help.
sal

Re: Will Spyderco Sharpen A Factory Seconds

Post by sal »

Hi SpydieMiner,

Welcome to our forum. I believe we will, but we may charge you for it. I would suggest that you investigate sharpening. It is an essential part of maintaining a blade and an interesting adventure in its own world. I would suggest that you get a Sharpmaker, watch the video, start with a small inexpensive kitchen knife and develop the skill.

sal
Ric

Post by Ric »

I would buy a gauntlet premium.
The eye shaped rods are easier for beginners and overall its a bit cheaper.

If you want it very cheap you can use sand paper and a wood stick.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sharp maker and cbn/diamond rods to start - and/or learn to free hand on dmt or the new Spyderco cbn plate
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I picked up a Maxamet PM 2 from the Seconds Sale, too. I lightly touched up the edge using the brown Tri-Angles on the Sharpmaker just to smooth it a bit and it's now sharp enough to slice the top layer of your finger prints off by lightly moving your finger along the edge.

I've always gotten excellent results with the Sharpmaker.
Last edited by Pokey on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:03 pm
Sharp maker and cbn/diamond rods to start - and/or learn to free hand on dmt or the new Spyderco cbn plate
I agree. Diamond or CBN rods are a must.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Sal maybe things have changed but I sent in my Maxamet Manix second in 2019 and they just sent it straight back and refused to sharpen it. I also sent in a second Advocate and they did tweak the pivot screw slightly for me but that was it. No sharpening
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Koenigsegg,

I could be wrong on that? I haven't gotten involved in 2nd's and CS. Best to call in and ask.

sal
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

I checked with our Warranty Repair folks and they confirmed that our policy is that seconds will not be sharpened or repaired, even if the customer offers to pay for the service.

Stay safe,

Mike
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Worksharp precision adjust is impressive. Diamonds and ceramic so will handle whatever steel. It won’t give you mirrored edges but will give you very sharp edges. Precise and the only learning curve is understanding chasing the burr.

It has some limitations, a very thin height blade will be hard to sharpen to a low angle because the height of the clamp...I’m sure others I haven’t experienced yet. But it’s pretty good for 50-60 for a guided system.

I’ve always been a freehander but that’s a skill set years in the making. This is easy, and has worked as a cheap alternative to a KME for a guided system.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Mike.

sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s disappointing.