Spydercos you're gifting this holiday season

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Spydercos you're gifting this holiday season

Post by zuludelta »

Every year, I like to gift Spydercos to friends, family & coworkers. Most of them are aren't "knife people" but I think a good folding knife is a very practical tool that everyone should have, and if a person is to have one, it better be a a well-designed, reliable model. I tend to gift tried-and-tested flagship Spydercos: the Dragonfly, Native, Delica, and Endura, and on a couple of occasions, a Byrd Hawkbill and a Byrd Crow (two of the best Byrd designs, IMO).

This year, I gifted two coworkers with Spydercos. The first, I gave a Native 5 Combo Edge in CPM-S35VN. He cuts a lot of heavy-duty pallet straps at work so I figured a knife with serrations & a relatively tough steel would be a good upgrade to the boxcutter he uses (which isn't really designed for that kind of work... boxcutter blades are too thin & brittle). He's also just a really good kid who works hard, so I wanted to get him something really nice (a Native was my first Spyderco work knife, and it's what really opened my eyes to the benefits of a good work folder).

The second coworker, I got a Para 3 Lightweight in CTS-BD1N with DLC coating. She's a rarity among the people I gift knives to in that she's actually a burgeoning knife enthusiast. She doesn't use a knife regularly at work but she carries a couple of budget folders from other manufacturers. So I figured I would introduce her to Spyderco with a Para 3 LW, which, to quote Nick Shabazz, is "the Spyderco-iest Spyderco ever". I got the DLC version because I recall her telling me once that she carries blacked-out blades to match "her aesthetic" :)

Any of you folks out there also giving Spydercos for Christmas this year?
abbazaba

Re: Spydercos you're gifting this holiday season

Post by abbazaba »

DF2 and a Bow River
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

I gave my son a PM 2 tanto in dlc for Christmas. He was looking at some other makers.... so I gave him a good one!
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Blacked-out serrated Pacific Salt 2. Originally bought it for a blade swap, but decided I wasn't as big a fan of the serrated wharncliffe Endura as I thought I'd be, and therefore didn't want to go to the effort of performing the swap to create an uber-lightweight serrated wharncliffe Endura. I'd already promised my friend a knife though, was going to give him the other knife created after performing the swap -- but as it went, I told him the situation and showed him both knives, and he chose the Pac Salt because he's curious about the H1. I think he'll be pleased with the knife; I introduced him to Spyderco and Byrd and he immediately bought a Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue and EDCs it along with his main knife (a Smith & Wesson combo edge). The Pac Salt is serrated like the Rescue and blacked-out like the S&W, plus it has that cool H1 and Spyderco-level quality, so he'll probably like it.

Also gave my brother a gray Endura, but that was a few months ago so not a holiday gift. He seems to like it though :)

I might be gifting a couple more Spydies to myself this holiday season :) but I haven't decided on which ones to get next, yet. And the local knife store's supplier is out of the Matriarch 2 version I want. So it might be another couple months before I get around to buying more knives for myself.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Sent a sharpmaker to my dad.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Last year I gave my boss a Delica. This year, my younger sister gets a Bug.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

This year is definitely a Spyder Christmas. :cool:

I was one of the fortunate souls who scored during the online Seconds Sale. I already gifted two paramilitary 2s, and a Ronin 2 from the sale. All in great condition can't even tell they're seconds!

Lastly, I'm gifting my friend's father who is a ski patrolman in New York a Dragonfly 2 Salt. Hoping to make them all Spyderheads in the future.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:30 pm
This year is definitely a Spyder Christmas. :cool:

I was one of the fortunate souls who scored during the online Seconds Sale. I already gifted two paramilitary 2s, and a Ronin 2 from the sale. All in great condition can't even tell they're seconds!

Lastly, I'm gifting my friend's father who is a ski patrolman in New York a Dragonfly 2 Salt. Hoping to make them all Spyderheads in the future. I already converted my friend two Christmases a go with a Manix 2 lightweight.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Well I ordered two of the new Bow Rivers, one for me and one to gift to my brother. My wife saw it, said she could use it in the kitchen, and haven't seen that one since. So two Bow Rivers gifted.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Stepped Ti chaparral for my husband for Christmas, bought it several months ago when it was on sale
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I don't know enough people that would care about a quality knife, therefore I wouldn't waste my money!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I didn't gift any. I was going to get my wife a pink Delica but they are not out yet. I got an S110V UKPK, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Holland

Post by Holland »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 pm
I don't know enough people that would care about a quality knife, therefore I wouldn't waste my money!
Same thoughts for me haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I sometimes match a knife to the person, but mostly roll out about 10 knives and let 1 or 2 people per year choose.
mitchwalcott

Post by mitchwalcott »

I became aware of Spyderco this fall and became a bit of an addict. Here is my gift list:

girlfriend - C41PTBL5 - Native 5 Lightweight Limited Teal FRN Satin CPM-S90V
girlfriend’s daughter - LPGITD3 - Ladybug 3, VG10, Glow-in-the-Dark FRN
my Mom - C189PRD - Roadie Lightweight Red
my Mom - K13PRD - Z-Cut Blunt Tip Red
my Step-Dad - C94PDBL - UK Pen Knife DK Blue S110V
my Step-Dad - 204MF - Tri-Angle Sharpmaker w/DVD
my Dad - C79PSYL - Assist Salt Lightweight Yellow
my cousin - C41PYL5 - Native 5 Salt
my friend in New Mexico - C94PBK - UK Penknife FRN Leaf
my friend in Michigan - C41PBBK5 - Native 5 Lightweight Black / Black Blade

for myself - C41PCBL5 - Native 5 FRN CPM SPY27
for myself - K13SBK - Z-Cut Blunt Tip Black Serrated
for myself - K13PBK - Z-Cut Blunt Tip Black
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Two Lone Wolf Enduras with the Glock tool and a CE Native 5 and some kitchen knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I've gifted a few knives throughout the year to the few other knife people in my life - my brother got a franken-Pac Salt, my husband took a liking to a non-spydie fixed blade I had, so it became his. I'll probably also gift away my original Bow River to my brother now that I'm getting the green one. But no knives for Christmas this year.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My attempts at gifting Spydercos have not met with much success. Of the four people I have gifted Spydercos to only my wife has ever used the knife. I think you really need some knife knowledge to understand a Spyderco.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
KenD

Post by KenD »

A Para 3 LW for my son who has been carrying a Delica for the past couple of years.

And a Native 5 SPY27 for myself! :)
I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I sent friends a Tenacious, some of the new bandanas and coffee mugs. I included some of the complementary Spyderco stickers, too.